The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Need a good opening for family show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bigdaddymagic
View Profile
New user
Hazelridge, MB, Canada
29 Posts

Profile of bigdaddymagic
Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if anybody had any good idea's for a opening for a family show. this is a bigger show then I'm use too. What I used in the past for little show's and b-day parties was David Ginn's shoelace trick. there will 150 to 200 people at this one so, I think that people might not see what I'm doing on stage.

my friend said that blendo to music would be a good opener. my show is in April so if I have to practice I will have some time yet to do so,
thanks' Everyone
Thanks'

Donny
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Blendo to music would be very good. Whatever you decide, it should be flashy and visual. We often open to music with a cane to silks, silks to change bag - production of 30' streamer, appearing cane, and finish with a silk fountain. Takes about 3 minutes but really gets their attention right from the start.

Jim
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Bowla - a - rama by Kevin James.... This is always a great opener for these type of gigs... It will get the point across real fast that you are a pro act...
I hope this helps.

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Right you are Taylor, or Modes Bowling Pin production. This is considerably less expensive with much the same impact.

jim
bigdaddymagic
View Profile
New user
Hazelridge, MB, Canada
29 Posts

Profile of bigdaddymagic
Thank's Jim and Taylor for the advice.
I will look in to the bowling pins
is it a fast or long trick?

what I'm thinking now is I'm using my victory cubes as stage prop
to put my props, when done. you think it would be good idea to use it for the switch of silks I have the four color 36" silk (red, blue, green, yellow) and 4 single 18" silks (red, blue, green, yellow).
any idea's on a way to bring out the silks.
thanks again guys
Thanks'

Donny
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Appearing dove, any method...

Just one dove is enough, more better...

Prop or not...

It signals "The Magic is here!"

Kid's immediately gravitate to a Dove appearing!

Try it...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
I totally agree with the bowling pin production.
Heck since its a family show... wear a bowling shirt and make up and entire 5-10 minute routine around the idea of bowling..!
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I've turned aerial fishing into my opener, I've created a silent version...it establishes they're in for a good show right away. They are blown away when they see a live gold fish swimming around in the brandy sniffer that you just caught in mid-air.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I almost always open with the Miser's Dream, by going into the audience and pulling coins out of their ears. Then I have a child come on stage to throw the last into the bucket from across the stage area.

Works for me.

Brian
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2009-01-09 22:38, jimhlou wrote:
Right you are Taylor, or Modes Bowling Pin production. This is considerably less expensive with much the same impact.

jim

What is Modes Bowling pin Production and where can you buy??
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Visit Michael Modes' web site http://www.napkinrose.com/ you'll find it listed under magic items
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of soleil
You cannot compare Bowlarama to the bowling pin production. Bowlarama is much more visual, direct and artistic. That's why the prices are also different.
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I like something fast, eye popping, and just something to say here I am and I mean business. For birthday parties, when I did them I would start with my assistant out in front with an applause cue card and she would pump up the crowd as the theme song from 2001 space odysis (misspell). Like Elvis use to do. At the end of the song I would part the curtains produce a ferret (circus wagon), make him vanish (dagger livestock vanish), teach him a lesson for bitting me by straightening him out (rabbit wringer). Of course he comes out unharmed. Fast, easy and gets the children pumped up. It also leads into introductions and my ferrets capers throughout the show.

If it were a bigger venue I would start the same way but would do Modern Art to Techno music (which I spliced together) and that gets the crowd really into the show.

Bottomline is that whatever you do it must exude energy and excitement or you will lose the audience pretty fast.

BYUDAD
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Contrary to popular belief (and pundits like Henning and Nelms), you certainly do not need to open with something that is fast and flashy. That is, of course, not to say that you shouldn't, but there is no such requirement, and I can tell you from experience that taking your time with a routine to establish your personality is a great way to open a show.

This idea that somehow you'll lose the audience if you don't hit them hard and fast is simply a myth. Of course, if you're not a good performer, you'll lose them anyway, and that's really what it comes down to.
It's all in the reflexes.
bigdaddymagic
View Profile
New user
Hazelridge, MB, Canada
29 Posts

Profile of bigdaddymagic
I would like to thank everyone for their idea's and help.
I'm a big guy and my theme is big.
Thanks'

Donny
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3008 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
This isn't a routine, per say, but for an initial flashy quickie, Tony Clark's new Mic to Money Miracle looks kind of clever - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=402AsuBnKoI

Maybe you could use it as a jumping off point for some money magic, or ring in another dollar for Jim Pace's Prestige, which folds itself in your hand then turns into a coin as you rub it against your leg. Now you've done two flash changes and an animation in about 30 seconds and are set up with the coin to begin a Miser's Dream routine.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
bigdaddymagic
View Profile
New user
Hazelridge, MB, Canada
29 Posts

Profile of bigdaddymagic
Thanks' max
like the mic.
and the bowling pin, but that is a little to much money just for one show
right now.
anything out there a little cheaper that would be a good opener.
thank's again everyone.
Thanks'

Donny
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
You know that mike bit has been around a long time, all you need is a sponge ball and a paper tube. Think about it. The flash cash production cane be anything.
My friend, who has been doing it for years..puts the mike in a paper bag and crushes it up. Lots of ways to do it.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
bigdaddymagic
View Profile
New user
Hazelridge, MB, Canada
29 Posts

Profile of bigdaddymagic
Wow! thank-you Ian
sound like something to play with.
Thanks'

Donny
euroillusion
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of euroillusion
How about a combination of comedy, deliberate and flashy magic?

Do the bit where you come out and show a card case. Say you will open your show with the world famous card trick... that uses a piece of rope. Open the flap to remove a length of rope.

Perform a cut & restored rope routine or ring on rope routine. Eventually, have the knot pop off and transform the knot into a snowstorm.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Need a good opening for family show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL