The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tarantula/Taranchula Spider Pen Pro (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Is it worth it to get Tarantula or wait for the Spider Pen Two, since there isn't a released date?
Best Regards,

Bob
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2423 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 22:40, Xiqual wrote:
This is the problem with the new street style "challenge" magic. Instead of using premise to suspend belief modern magicians try to rely on the gimmick and the "no skill needed" promises of the dealers.
James


Yes, as I stated earlier in this thread(pun)Someone new to IT should start with the basics, then move to reels. No skill needed is a selling tool, NOT truth. Challenge magic has been around for years. Street style magic performed from beginners wanting to be the next_______ you cannot be an instant magician. Anyone who knows their stuff, knows challenges are often met head on by a spectator. Thus, no one enjoys the art, just the puzzle!
animation
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of animation
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 02:25, gdw wrote:

However, I don't need to be dirty like that. I don't need to take something hidden out of sight, and try to hide it in sight.

However, the one thing that I have been interested in since I first saw this is the hook up to the ring. I have not seen a hook up that allows the ring to float flat like that. At least not one that isn't complicated and tied to the ring in three places, lol.

It also appears that Fearson's re-release includes a similar method of attaching the ring.

Is this way of using IT with a ring something new, or is it published elsewhere already?



The hovering ring is yigals own unique effect plus the subtlety of showing no strings attached. The hookup is Fearsons so you don't need the tarantula to perform this
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 02:25, gdw wrote:
However, I don't need to be dirty like that. I don't need to take something hidden out of sight, and try to hide it in sight.


You are NOT dirty. No one is looking for a gimmick in your hand. They would only look if you are "telegraphing" the moves, not practiced long enough or picked bad lighting and they can see the thread.


The Tarantula gives you so much freedom and CONTROL over any thread reel out there and to do this, Yigal brought the reel to your hand where you have immediate control over turning it on, how fast you want the thread to retract, etc. I'm very happy with it.

Best,

Doug L.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 11:58, Doug Lippert wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 02:25, gdw wrote:
However, I don't need to be dirty like that. I don't need to take something hidden out of sight, and try to hide it in sight.


You are NOT dirty. No one is looking for a gimmick in your hand. They would only look if you are "telegraphing" the moves, not practiced long enough or picked bad lighting and they can see the thread.


The Tarantula gives you so much freedom and CONTROL over any thread reel out there and to do this, Yigal brought the reel to your hand where you have immediate control over turning it on, how fast you want the thread to retract, etc. I'm very happy with it.

Best,

Doug L.


Any time you are "holding out" you are, by definition, dirty. It doesn't matter how well hidden, or how little to no suspicion there is, you are still dirty.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 14:21, gdw wrote:
Any time you are "holding out" you are, by definition, dirty. It doesn't matter how well hidden, or how little to no suspicion there is, you are still dirty.


Thank you for defining what it means to be dirty... Smile

With the Tarantula you can bring it out smoothly, finish your effect, and it goes right in your pocket, already reset.

The major selling point for this particular reel to me is I have more control of the thread than any other reel I have. The thread is slack until you make the Tarantula bite down on the thre*d. If you have something heavy the Tarantula will spit its web and let if fall gracefully. You **** off the Tarantula, it will suck the thre*d back in.

Best purchase this year. Even better than True Astonishments. I haven't actually used a thing from there. More of a collector's item to me, and I'm okay with that because I have #9 and autographed.

I can see myself always having the Tarantula on me along with a small box of Mesika Wax and a Spider Pen Spool.

Sincerely,

Doug Lippert
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
90% of the time in magic, you are "dirty". Getting clean or holding out is the fun of it all. If you are getting strip searched or seriously hassled by your spectators, get a more hard line boundary about being touched and pulled on. They will stop.
James

Quote:
On 2009-03-14 14:21, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 11:58, Doug Lippert wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 02:25, gdw wrote:
However, I don't need to be dirty like that. I don't need to take something hidden out of sight, and try to hide it in sight.


You are NOT dirty. No one is looking for a gimmick in your hand. They would only look if you are "telegraphing" the moves, not practiced long enough or picked bad lighting and they can see the thread.


The Tarantula gives you so much freedom and CONTROL over any thread reel out there and to do this, Yigal brought the reel to your hand where you have immediate control over turning it on, how fast you want the thread to retract, etc. I'm very happy with it.

Best,

Doug L.


Any time you are "holding out" you are, by definition, dirty. It doesn't matter how well hidden, or how little to no suspicion there is, you are still dirty.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 15:07, Doug Lippert wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 14:21, gdw wrote:
Any time you are "holding out" you are, by definition, dirty. It doesn't matter how well hidden, or how little to no suspicion there is, you are still dirty.


Thank you for defining what it means to be dirty... Smile
. . .
Doug Lippert


By the eye roll smiley, I assume you are implying you knew what it means to be "dirty," and yet you claimed you were NOT dirty, while palming a gimmick during an effect, sorry for stating the obvious.

As for the additional control, I agree, this is a beautiful thing. However, for ME, personally, I do not feel it is an equal trade for having to be holding out.

One of the greatest things about thread work is there is nothing to hide, in the usual sense. As long as your conditions are taken care of, ie lighting, and background, then you have nothing to hide and can be so very open.

The Tarantula certainly affords some great control, and is beautifully hidden, but I don't feel the need for it in MY work.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 21:11, Xiqual wrote:
90% of the time in magic, you are "dirty". Getting clean or holding out is the fun of it all. If you are getting strip searched or seriously hassled by your spectators, get a more hard line boundary about being touched and pulled on. They will stop.
James



Yes, sometimes, that can be "fun," but magic is not about being "chased" by your audience.

I do not have a problem with audience members groping at me.

I believe I summed it up perfectly saying that I don't need to take something hidden out of sight and hiding it in sight.

Though, yes, this can be "fun," it is not necessary. I don't need that trade off for the "additional" control. Of course the exact same control can be obtained using a "z" grip on the thread with one hand. Cleaning up then is as simple as relaxing your fingers. No need to ditch anything.

Sure, not as "fun," but a much cleaner effect.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
nikola paris
View Profile
New user
Paris
72 Posts

Profile of nikola paris
"Any time you are "holding out" you are, by definition, dirty. It doesn't matter how well hidden, or how little to no suspicion there is, you are still dirty."

So, it's the same with only an IT...
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 15:05, nikola paris wrote:
"Any time you are "holding out" you are, by definition, dirty. It doesn't matter how well hidden, or how little to no suspicion there is, you are still dirty."

So, it's the same with only an IT...


No, it is not "the same." I never said you were "clean" with just IT, but you are a hell of a lot MORE clean.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ok so back to the topic at hand is the hype worth it? We can argue about all the Tea in China all day but that's not the Title of the thread. Are we loving this or is it finding a nice little spot in your Drawer?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-02-19 11:54, davidpeters wrote:
Hey there,
Let's see if I can answer some of these questions, without giving too much away of course or stepping on toes. I don't think there is any ad copy released yet. Yegal did a pre-release at the IBM/SAM convention this last year so I know he has shown it to several people already.
The Tarantula is similar to the working of the spider pen. So if you know what the spider pen does then you can figure this one out.
The Tarantula is designed not to tangle, and is easy to fix or replace the (I.T.) I don’t usually use this kind of gimmick so when playing with it I broke the I.T a couple times. I was able to fix it real quick and easy. There are replaceable parts and they are all easy to get to.
There is no need to have a pen sticking out of your pocket.
The gimmick is virtually invisible.
From what I was told at the IBM/SAM convention these sold out real fast. I am sure it will do the same at Blackpool, I will try and get Blackpool updates for you.
As soon as I get official ad copy I will post it.

I am pretty sure that if you use items such as the Spider pen or ITR then you will love the tarantula.
Hope this helps?


My spider pen was a nightmare. I hope this is a vast improvement. Especially for a fellow with poor vision, if you know what I am saying.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Actually, that makes no sense at all.
James


Quote:

I believe I summed it up perfectly saying that I don't need to take something hidden out of sight and hiding it in sight.


Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 18:30, paisa23 wrote:
..We can argue about all the Tea in China all day but that's not the Title of the thread.


If you're going to expose methods, please go to the Secret Sessions area.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 00:36, Xiqual wrote:
Actually, that makes no sense at all.
James


Quote:

I believe I summed it up perfectly saying that I don't need to take something hidden out of sight and hiding it in sight.





I don't see how not. It is pretty clear. I don't feel the need to take a gimmick which is hidden completely out of sight of the audience, and then remove it from said hiding place, and conceal it in my hand instead, where it is camouflaged, thus being hidden "in sight," which is far less effective than it's original hiding place.

It is similar to the difference between vanishing a silk with a pull, vs in a thumb tip.

There are advantages to both, however, you cannot argue that you are not far more clean after the vanish with the pull. There is nothing to be seen/found.

Yes, the TT is highly unlikely to be seen, and also allows for a very seemingly clean vanish, along with its own advantages, but your hands are simply not as clean as after the pull vanish.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I have a Tarantula and many thread reels. I like my Tarantula much better.
You don't want to buy a Tarantula? Great, don't buy one. I like it, you don't want to try it. No problem.

Your arguments about the pull and the TT need to address that a pull needs a jacket, a TT doesn't.

The Tarantula is in my pocket, it comes out when I want to perform and then goes back afterwards. Other reels need to be clipped on or pinned to clothing. To much trouble.

Tarantula has no tension on the thread so I can do animations. I actually rarely float things. I played with Hovering a few times and feel I like just moving things much better.

Anyway if you are happy with your setup, no need to change. Why fix it if it ain't broke, right?
James



Quote:




I don't see how not. It is pretty clear. I don't feel the need to take a gimmick which is hidden completely out of sight of the audience, and then remove it from said hiding place, and conceal it in my hand instead, where it is camouflaged, thus being hidden "in sight," which is far less effective than it's original hiding place.

It is similar to the difference between vanishing a silk with a pull, vs in a thumb tip.

There are advantages to both, however, you cannot argue that you are not far more clean after the vanish with the pull. There is nothing to be seen/found.

Yes, the TT is highly unlikely to be seen, and also allows for a very seemingly clean vanish, along with its own advantages, but your hands are simply not as clean as after the pull vanish.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
I saw this on E.- product page
Did anyone receive a defective piece ?



DUE TO COMPLICATIONS WITH THE TARANTULA GIMMICK BEYOND OUR CONTROL
The sale of Tarantula is being halted indefinitely. All unworkable gimmicks will be replaced when returned to Ellusionist (please contact customer service for an RMA #).
Our apologies for delays caused. This is an unforeseen error on the manufacturers part. When the quality of Tarantula is no longer in question, we will reopen the product for sale on this page.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Mine is perfect! I've been using it non-stop for the past week.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 14:38, gdw wrote:
Of course the exact same control can be obtained using a "z" grip on the thread with one hand. Cleaning up then is as simple as relaxing your fingers. No need to ditch anything.



No, I have used the "z" grip before (whirling card) and you do NOT get the same control as you would if you used the Tarantula. It's cool that you disagree. We're all different after all. Smile

But, do you even own the apparatus? If not, try it out. You might like it.

Sincerely,

D.L.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tarantula/Taranchula Spider Pen Pro (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL