We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tarantula/Taranchula Spider Pen Pro (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 16:17, king2262 wrote:
Save your money and give it a miss , use the hook up you already no!


Yes, follow his advice or buy a really cool utility item.

The Tarantula is very clever and works great! I have only snapped a small piece of the thread once because I was trying to lift something that was too heavy, too fast. The only thing you really need to replace is the wax because it gets dirty, and that is after about two dozen hook ups for me. The battery is still going strong and I have retracted dollar bills, and business cards at least 100+ times from 3-5 feet away from the Tarantula. The Tarantula feels solid and I hardly remember it is on me. I might have to buy another before Yigal sells out!

Also, the replacement battery is really cheap and you can pick up replacement 25' spool for a great price (Spider Pen spools).If you have never bought a reel, I recommend this one because it is KISS design, there are no worries. If you have a bunch of ITR's I still recommend the Tarantula because it gives you more control of the thread than other ITRS out there. The Tarantula is similar but an improvement on John Kennedy's Stealth Retractor-but, I cannot say in what way for fear of exposure. It is very clever though and not a thumbtip. You WILL feel like Spider-man and you will be tempted to just play with it because the thread is very strong!

Best,

Doug L.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Steven70s
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
181 Posts

Profile of Steven70s
But how is it possible that the spectators in the demo doesn't see the IT when it's only a few inches away from their faces??
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
639 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 17:50, Steven70s wrote:
But how is it possible that the spectators in the demo doesn't see the IT when it's only a few inches away from their faces??


it is VERY Invisible. VERY! -Matt
Want The Force? - Check out "The Gift" Shoot me a PM to order.
https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=82obXYQe0OI

Other effects:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/magician/matt-sconce
Medortho
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Medortho
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 17:54, MattSconce wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 17:50, Steven70s wrote:
But how is it possible that the spectators in the demo doesn't see the IT when it's only a few inches away from their faces??


it is VERY Invisible. VERY! -Matt


...plus: Yigal definately knows to pick his performing locations well. Note how well the buildings in the video influence the lighting conditions. Smile
Steven70s
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
181 Posts

Profile of Steven70s
Hmm.. I don't know.. I had the Hummingbird card and Yigal's loops before. I only had people trying to find the IT with their eyes, and eventually they did.
king2262
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of king2262
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 17:27, Doug Lippert wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 16:17, king2262 wrote:
Save your money and give it a miss , use the hook up you already no!


Yes, follow his advice or buy a really cool utility item.

If you have a bunch of ITR's I still recommend the Tarantula because it gives you more control of the thread than other ITRS out there. You WILL feel like Spider-man and you will be tempted to just play with it because the thread is very strong!

Best,

Doug L.

Ive performed with IT/ITR's for some years now ,maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how the Tarantula can give you more control of the IT ?
If anything having the gimmick where it is restricts you a hell of a lot more !
Medortho
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Medortho
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 18:14, Steven70s wrote:
Hmm.. I don't know.. I had the Hummingbird card and Yigal's loops before. I only had people trying to find the IT with their eyes, and eventually they did.


@Steven: it's always about equilibrating the aspects of thread strength, object weight, light intensity,
light - spectator-angle, distance, presentation and lastly picking the right audiences. The latter two can both kill your effect or make it a killer ;] But the wrong type of audience will always see something, even if it really was invisible. If they really want to see it, they see it. That's where presentation comes in to make them want to see especially what _you_ want them to see.

After all, you're the only one who can find out what exactly went wrong at those specific presentations. Rethink the process and don't 'IT' give up. (hehe I feel rethorical today) Smile
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 18:35, king2262 wrote:
maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how the Tarantula can give you more control of the IT ?If anything having the gimmick where it is restricts you a hell of a lot more!


Hey there,

The Tarantula is not "always on" for starters. This is a big deal in terms of reducing breakage and giving the performer total control of the reel movement's activation.

Second, the location of the Tarantula is like John Kennedy's Stealth Retractor but the Tarantula is very sneaky and camouflaged! No one will see anything if you perform it right, and not draw attention..

The Tarantula gives you freedom and control in your thread work my friend! When you are ready to perform you go in your pocket and be careful the Tarantula don't bite..
When you are done, you drop it in your pocket. There are no restrictions! It's all in your mind. Think of how the Tarantula gives you freedom.


Like Yigal says, "forget about it and focus on your magic".

Best,

Doug Lippert
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Steven70s
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
181 Posts

Profile of Steven70s
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 18:39, Le0n wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 18:14, Steven70s wrote:
Hmm.. I don't know.. I had the Hummingbird card and Yigal's loops before. I only had people trying to find the IT with their eyes, and eventually they did.


@Steven: it's always about equilibrating the aspects of thread strength, object weight, light intensity,
light - spectator-angle, distance, presentation and lastly picking the right audiences. The latter two can both kill your effect or make it a killer ;] But the wrong type of audience will always see something, even if it really was invisible. If they really want to see it, they see it. That's where presentation comes in to make them want to see especially what _you_ want them to see.

After all, you're the only one who can find out what exactly went wrong at those specific presentations. Rethink the process and don't 'IT' give up. (hehe I feel rethorical today) Smile


Hehe, thanks Smile

Guess I'll take some more practise before picking this one up!
king2262
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of king2262
Quote:
The Tarantula gives you freedom and control in your thread work my friend!

For me freedom is a ITR concealed ,my hands can be shown front back spread ...nothing to see!

I use Spooked by Nicholas Einhorn, and was interested to see how it would perform with the Tarantula, using the gimmick where its concealed compared to a ITR restricted my freedom and I would then have to ditch it ...which is quite straight forward but something extra that was not needed before.




Ive used Fearsons hook up again for some time now and as straight forward as it is using the Tarantula I now had the gimmick concealed restricting my movements in fear of flashing .
The Hook up can be used with the Tarantula but is it really needed, does it add anything else.....no!

I don't want to come across as I'm just bashing this gimmick ,Yigel Mesaki is a great creator of magical props ..ET being one of my favourite effects .
I just personally feel that for a fraction of the price the two main effects can be performed with IT alone.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 19:18, king2262 wrote:
Quote:
The Tarantula gives you freedom and control in your thread work my friend!

For me freedom is a ITR concealed ,my hands can be shown front back spread ...nothing to see!


The Tarantula IS concealed. Why would you show your hands open, front and back unless you perform for magicians? When you levitate something the focus is on that object and what is above it (spectators look for a string hanging above the floating object). No one is going to be burning your hands unless you don't "forget about it."

Name one ITR that lets you control the thread as uniquely as the Tarantula.

Best,

Doug L.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Who in the real world, except a magician, shows their hands front and back fingers spread?
James


Quote:
On 2009-03-13 19:18, king2262 wrote:
Quote:
The Tarantula gives you freedom and control in your thread work my friend!

For me freedom is a ITR concealed ,my hands can be shown front back spread ...nothing to see!

I use Spooked by Nicholas Einhorn, and was interested to see how it would perform with the Tarantula, using the gimmick where its concealed compared to a ITR restricted my freedom and I would then have to ditch it ...which is quite straight forward but something extra that was not needed before.




Ive used Fearsons hook up again for some time now and as straight forward as it is using the Tarantula I now had the gimmick concealed restricting my movements in fear of flashing .
The Hook up can be used with the Tarantula but is it really needed, does it add anything else.....no!

I don't want to come across as I'm just bashing this gimmick ,Yigel Mesaki is a great creator of magical props ..ET being one of my favourite effects .
I just personally feel that for a fraction of the price the two main effects can be performed with IT alone.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 20:49, Xiqual wrote:
Who in the real world, except a magician, shows their hands front and back fingers spread?
James


Someone that just got arrested by the police, someone coming back from a prison visit or apparently, king2262. Smile I'm just kidding you.

Best,

Doug L.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
This is the problem with the new street style "challenge" magic. Instead of using premise to suspend belief modern magicians try to rely on the gimmick and the "no skill needed" promises of the dealers.

All magic needs skill. Gimmicks need MORE skill than sleights, subtleties are the best for fooling people.

If people catch you out you need to practice more. Moves need to be second nature, that is a given. Even stating it is pedantic.

After the technical side is smooth you need to weave a premise with you words,actions and thoughts. Look at Yigal, his image is a suave cool guy that has a sardonic humor. He can pull it off because he is consistent. Clothes,grooming, speech, actions. All congruent with what he is trying to achieve. The subtext that magic IS possible.
James


Quote:
On 2009-03-13 18:14, Steven70s wrote:
Hmm.. I don't know.. I had the Hummingbird card and Yigal's loops before. I only had people trying to find the IT with their eyes, and eventually they did.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 22:40, Xiqual wrote:
This is the problem with the new street style "challenge" magic. Instead of using premise to suspend belief modern magicians try to rely on the gimmick and the "no skill needed" promises of the dealers.

All magic needs skill. Gimmicks need MORE skill than sleights, subtleties are the best for fooling people.

If people catch you out you need to practice more. Moves need to be second nature, that is a given. Even stating it is pedantic.

After the technical side is smooth you need to weave a premise with you words,actions and thoughts. Look at Yigal, his image is a suave cool guy that has a sardonic humor. He can pull it off because he is consistent. Clothes,grooming, speech, actions. All congruent with what he is trying to achieve. The subtext that magic IS possible.
James



Great post James...there's a lot of truth in that. Magic shouldn't be about tricking someone with some cool new trick you just bought...it should be practiced, perfected, and performed, as any art should be.
NEW Conscious clothing to inspire yourself and others.

http://www.thisisdivisions.com
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Great post James...there's a lot of truth in that. Magic shouldn't be about tricking someone with some cool new trick you just bought...it should be practiced, perfected, and performed, as any art should be.
[/quote]
Correct . Practice and perfect and then trick them.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 18:14, Steven70s wrote:
Hmm.. I don't know.. I had the Hummingbird card and Yigal's loops before. I only had people trying to find the IT with their eyes, and eventually they did.


Then you were telegraphing it. If you preform like you are dangling something from a string, your audience will be looking for that specifically.

Also, if they are looking for it, STOP. The biggest mistake you can make is to try to keep the floating, or what ever you are using IT for, going, while "trying" to hide it more.

Get ride of it. Let the loop fall back to your hand, or wrist, let the reel retract the thread, break your free threat if you must.

If they are looking for thread, just don't give them the chance to find it.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
As for the gimmick "at hand," from the sounds of it, it is a reel camouflaged in your hand. Interesting idea, and would be fun to play with. As mentioned, sounds like a great improvement over Kennedy's design.

However, I don't need to be dirty like that. I don't need to take something hidden out of sight, and try to hide it in sight.

However, the one thing that I have been interested in since I first saw this is the hook up to the ring. I have not seen a hook up that allows the ring to float flat like that. At least not one that isn't complicated and tied to the ring in three places, lol.

It also appears that Fearson's re-release includes a similar method of attaching the ring.

Is this way of using IT with a ring something new, or is it published elsewhere already?

From the looks of it, I think I'll be waiting for the Spider-pen 2/Pro, which looks to improve pretty much every "problem"/"inconvenience" of the first one, which I already love. Then incorporate the Fearson style hook up with the pen.

Speaking of the pen, this thread seems to have become focused on just the Tarantula. Where can we read more about the pen?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
Glen,

Here's an old discussion about the Spider Pen Pro:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218

There ya go


Nico
king2262
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of king2262
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 02:25, gdw wrote:
I don't need to take something hidden out of sight, and try to hide it in sight.


The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tarantula/Taranchula Spider Pen Pro (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL