We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tarantula/Taranchula Spider Pen Pro (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16 [Next]
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
266 Posts

Profile of Martello
Hey Doug

Thanks for the tip! I will check them out.

Arthur
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 00:39, Kune wrote:
Are these the right kind?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2980
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15179

If so they're they're probably a good alternative to those who can't find them in dollar stores, especially since they have free world wide shipping.

You're right! They should be a great alternative to the Dollar Store deal, if one isn't in your town.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
On 2009-04-03 14:39, Martello wrote:
Hey Doug

Thanks for the tip! I will check them out.

Arthur

Hey Arthur,

Hopefully you will be able find them! Tell me if you do.

Doug
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Barnstormer
View Profile
Regular user
Batavia, Ohio
150 Posts

Profile of Barnstormer
Ring Recommendation?

The only ring band I have seems to be too light. I can't get a good spin on it.

I guess I will have to go to a pawn shop.

If anyone has ordered a cheap ring online that is not too heavy but still has enough mass to keep up a good spin please let me know!
Barnstormer
View Profile
Regular user
Batavia, Ohio
150 Posts

Profile of Barnstormer
Also...

Does anyone know what the mfg issue is with the tran? I bought mine from EIllusioniist.com

So far it seems to be working ok.

I used up my thread while practicing with various rings (all of mine too small, see above post) and I can't use it again until my refils arrive.

thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Make your own refill by stripping some IT.
tim_06
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of tim_06
Ughhh... Well my Tarantula just broke Smile
I had it for all of two weeks. A part of it snapped off Smile ughhh
bmagic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of bmagic
Thanks for all of the great posts on the Tarantula. I almost ordered one at least three times now, but the same haunting feeling keeps coming up. It seems to be echoed here as well...parts breaking, inferior units having to be returned, being very careful when adjusting certain parts, etc.

I gave up on my spider pen due to similar issues. I guess the big question is what makes the Tarantula superior to my trusty old standard ITR? The only real answer posted that I have seen is "greater control"???

Thanks!
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Barnstormer,

Go to a Queosq (sp?) in the mall. I got a plain rounded edge wedding band (real sterling) for $20. He wanted $30.....those guys deal. I actually where it all the time on my third finger now and like it. Nor do I use Tarantula to do the HR personally.

Plain bands with a bit of weight spin forEVER! Mine is a size 13 though.

Good luck
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
746 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
Well it has been a while since I had bought something that made me feel like I was doing real magic. The spinning ring looks fantastic. I spent most of yesterday floating things and messing around with my new toy. The only trouble was the battery on my unit was dead. Luckily I had a watch battery I bought a while ago and it worked.

Eye candy for sure.

Michael
Magician, Mentalist, Entertainer.

www.mikebelieve.com
Barnstormer
View Profile
Regular user
Batavia, Ohio
150 Posts

Profile of Barnstormer
Quote:
On 2009-04-10 02:11, Zaprig1 wrote:
Barnstormer,

Go to a Queosq (sp?) in the mall. I got a plain rounded edge wedding band (real sterling) for $20. He wanted $30.....those guys deal. I actually where it all the time on my third finger now and like it. Nor do I use Tarantula to do the HR personally.

Plain bands with a bit of weight spin forEVER! Mine is a size 13 though.

Good luck

Thanks! We don't have one of those stores in Cincinnati (at least that I can find) but a size 13 M sterling should help me a great deal. Thanks!

also, thanks for the tip of the refil but I am going to stick with the stock refils for now so if something goes wrong I know if it is me or the device.

cavenger
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of cavenger
I just got a Tarantula and thought I'd post my thoughts on it really quickly.

The placement on where you hold it is unique from reels I've had in the past. There are tricks I can see where this is nice, specifically with the dollar floating up to your hand and the haunted pack style trick.

Overall I wouldn't recommend the Tarantula though. I think you are far better off with the more traditional reels. I don't like the way the ring trick works and was disappointed with the hook-up and how you end the trick. It is not very clean at all.

I would say the other ring hook-up is much cleaner and you can land the ring on the spectators hand without touching it afterward and you are completely clean. You also don't have to break anything afterward, which he recommends with his hook-up.

If you do any repeat performance type magic like table hopping then this would definitely be out for you as the setup time would be unreasonable. My favorite reel to date is still the Mark Allen Thread Manager. You can get it here:

http://magic4less.com/Merchant5/merchant......ry_Code=

The thread on that one is the best balance of invisible and strongest I've had. Plus the tension is just right and works over and over again. If you do the right hook-ups with it you can do some killer effects and end completely clean. Plus the thing is far cheaper.

That's just my two cents.
JollyMon
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of JollyMon
I thinking of buying one and decided not to...

I heard today that if you have a problem with the Tarantula you can no longer return it to where you bought it. Yigal will not let the dealer or Murphy's handle warranty and return issues.

So if you bought one from a store and have a problem or its dead out of the box, be prepared to now deal with a third party for repair and replacement.

I guess this will take any responsibility off of the retailer, but I would still rather deal with were I bought it than have to deal with a third party.

any thoughts ?
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
705 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Save yourself a ton of headaches and money this is a very good system and it can do everything the Tarantula can do AND it wont break or run out of juice every time you need it. - http://www.emagicsupply.com/master-levit......-43.html

Quote:
On 2009-04-21 20:24, JollyMon wrote:
I thinking of buying one and decided not to...

I heard today that if you have a problem with the Tarantula you can no longer return it to where you bought it. Yigal will not let the dealer or Murphy's handle warranty and return issues.

So if you bought one from a store and have a problem or its dead out of the box, be prepared to now deal with a third party for repair and replacement.

I guess this will take any responsibility off of the retailer, but I would still rather deal with were I bought it than have to deal with a third party.

any thoughts ?
Tony Chapparo
sloopcamelot
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of sloopcamelot
Got the Tarantula yesterday and managed to break the tiny, plastic tab on the switch. I emailed Yigal Misika about a replacement part and have not heard back yet. Anyone seen a place to order parts for it? (The switch got broke from prestidigi-stupidity on my part not because it was made wrong.)
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Mülheim an der Ruhr / Germany
1434 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Guys, I was reading a lot and searching a lot. I am tempted to get a tarantula, but I own already thr spider pen. Unfortunately I could not find a thread discussing/comparing these two devices with each other. So can you tell me everything where they differ? advantages, disadvantages,etc. Which device is better? Or should I not get a tarantula at all if I have a spider pen already?

Thanks alot

Markus
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1652 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
I do not own the Spider Pen, but from what I gather the Spider Pen is a thread reel and the Tarantula is a motorized thread dispenser, meaning it can spit out and retract thread. Spider Pen is used for suspensions and Tarantula is used for animations. It can also be used to float objects such as in the ring floating effect in the trailer.

Bottom line: Tarantula pulls things in, Spider Pen keeps things stationary in mid-air.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
1434 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2009-05-31 00:51, PatrickGregoire wrote:
I do not own the Spider Pen, but from what I gather the Spider Pen is a thread reel and the Tarantula is a motorized thread dispenser, meaning it can spit out and retract thread. Spider Pen is used for suspensions and Tarantula is used for animations. It can also be used to float objects such as in the ring floating effect in the trailer.

Bottom line: Tarantula pulls things in, Spider Pen keeps things stationary in mid-air.

Thank you very much for this information.

Any other people here who'd like to give me some information on this?

Thanks in advance,

Markus
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
1434 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Hm where are all the guys who own this already? Or wrong thread?
Siddharta
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Siddharta
I got my Tarantula a few weeks ago but I am out of thread and waiting for delivery. The thing still works, but there is a little crack in the middle on the side, I hope it does not tear any further.
I have difficulties hovering a ring. I was hoping Mesika would show how to attach the ring to the thread, but the DVD does not make anyone any wiser on this. Anybody out there has any tips on how to do this and how to practice ?
Many thanks.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Get Steve Fearson's MLS DVD. He goes into detail.
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tarantula/Taranchula Spider Pen Pro (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL