The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Lovecraftian Ceremonies - Resurrected Special Edition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
If it were possible for Lovecraftian Ceremonies to be re-released in a limited special edition, with new art, layout and be a charity project... would there be interest? Reason: It can be done... but just wondering what you fellow bizarrists might say is a price you'd pay for it so I can figure out a plan with Stephen Minch to do this (as I have been discussing this with him)... yes, it is all part of the Cthulhu Awakening party happening over the next few months... Simon Colman and I have a lot more surprises... but I thought one of the original works in bizarre magic that dealt with HPL would be a nice treat... but Stephen would like to see if this is viable by how much interest there would be in this manuscript. I told him besides a book of magic, to make it in a way that makes it collectable, and that we could also design some gimmicks / pieces that go with the routines as well...

Cthulhu ftagn, guys!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Myrsolon
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Myrsolon
Once again, I would be very interested.

For those that don't know what's in this book, here is the ad for it in The New Invocation Issue 4 from April 1980

Quote:
This is the long-awaited work on bizzarre magick that the readers of THE NEW INVOCATION have been waiting for. Written in Minch's usual detailed and interesting style this volume may well be one of the most esoteric ever written on the subject of magick. It is a *** blending of the subterfuges of the magician or perhaps more properly, magickan - with the horror fiction of the late Howard Phillips Lovercraft.

Each of the seven occult drams is a small magickal playlet based in plot on stories, poems and character created by H.P. Lovecraft. They are to be performed in intimate groups of up to 8 persons and are planned to send a mild shiver of supernatural fear through their watchers.

Our readers have been most receptive to Steve's past efforts in the Lovecraftian genre and we're most certain that you'll all want to add this his latest work to your library of bizzare magic.

There's a comprehensive list of effects I saw somewhere...

Quote:
CONTENTS
Introduction to the Ceremony--General notes on performing Bizarre Magick.

The Setting--Dimly lit library, ideally.

The Stigmata of Cthulhu--Mark of Cthulhu drawn on parchment, magician chants spell, sound of bubbling water gradually increases in volume, one spectator collapses, parchment vanishes in a burst of flame, spectators find symbol from parchment has appeared in various places on their bodies.

The Fungi from Yuggoth--Cards with symbols for various planets shown, one is selected bearing the symbol of Yuggoth, magician tells of strange lifeforms of that planet--"half living tissue, half crystalline matter"--four spectators each given piece of paper to drawn symbol of Yuggoth upon, papers placed in metal pan, live toad placed under cystal dome in center of pan, herbs and other materials added to pan, papers lighted, sudden blaze within pan, lid placed on pan to extinguish it, when lid is lifted, toad is still under crystal dome, but dome is surrounded by a strange crystalline fungus, fungus discolored in places "...with patches in the shapes of the sign of Yuggoth!"

The Eye of Alhazred--From a small casket, a vial containing an eye floating in murky waters is produced, parchment with pentagram inscribed upon it is placed on brass platter, second parchment with pentagram produced, five spectators each initial one of the points, this second parchment is crumpled into a ball and placed on the first, cards with various mystic symbols are shown, and then spread face down in front of one of the spectators, the spectator places the vial with the eye on one of the cards, crumpled parchment set on fire, it vanishes in a burst of flame, a spark of flame remains on the lower
parchment, it travels along leaving a burnt line behind it, the line forms a symbol, the card under the eye matches that symbol.

Pickmans Model--Metal tray placed on table, hideous statue placed on tray, covered with paper cone covered with caballistic symbols, statue lifted to show dark, damp stain has appeared on tray, statue covered with cone placed on table, cone slowly creeps forward, lit candle touched to cone, it vanishes in a burst of flame to show nothing underneath.

The Silver Key--Casket opened and parchment unrolled to reveal large silver key, placed in the magician's hand, the key slowly rotates, key is hung from chain and given to spectator to hold, placed over piece of paper with several cities of dream written on it the key slowly begins to swing towards whatever destination the spectator chooses, key placed back in parchment, casket closed, casket reopened, parchment unrolled to show key gone, in its place is a large living scarab beetle.

Dreams in the Witch-House--As magician relates the story of the Witch-House, various things happen: "an eerie evil-looking monstrosity creeps about the table", a goblet of water turns to blood when stirred with a bone and then turns clear again, a borrowed marked coin disappears from the goblet during the change and is found inside a bag inside a nest of boxes that have been in the spectator's possession from the beginning.

The Music of Erich Zann--Seance effect, small violin and music box shown, box plays an eerie tune, both placed under glass bowl on table, sitters place their hands on the bowl, "There is now only music playing on the stereo--nothing more. A time elapses. Then, suddenly and strangely, across the room a metronome begins to tick by itself! ...slowly the violin starts to move, swinging until it hits the music box. Then the music box begins to play from beneath the glass bowl. ... The candle is blown out. The music from the stereo increases in volume until it is very loud. A weird hooning and yammering is heard behind the music. ... the yammering and moaning become more frantic. There is a terrifying scream, the phonograph needle is heard to rip across the record's grooves and there is a tremendous jolt and thud to the table. The lights are turned on and all is seen to be as it was, the phonograph now playing softly and normally. The seance is over.

Using MeasuringWorth.com I came up with the following chart if it is going to priced as it was previously at $11 in 1980.

Current data is only available till 2007. In 2007, $11.00 from 1980 is worth:

$27.69 using the Consumer Price Index
$24.38 using the GDP deflator
$33.74 using the value of consumer bundle *
$27.05 using the unskilled wage *
$41.05 using the nominal GDP per capita
$54.45 using the relative share of GDP

So, based on that, I'd be willing to pay $30-50, if it's a really snazzy collector's edition you'd probably be able to get more out of me. Smile Espcially since it's going to a good cause.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
The Eye of Alhazred already is available. Smile...isn't it.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Yup it is Doug - in fact, I believe a lot of your art will go along with the Cthulhu project like insanity goes along with seeing R'lyeh...

The original LC was a paper-cover booklet - I was thinking making it a bit classier... like being able to display it as a piece on the ol' bizarre magick mantle...
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Interested--Committed--something for the mantle, eh?
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
You don't even need to ask me. Just make it a thing of terrifying beauty is all I ask. Maybe some additional items?

"Revised with newly discovered Archeological Evidence and Translations from Experts at Miskatonic University - with added sigils guaranteed to delay your descent into madness"
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Isper
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of Isper
I am interested!
slydini
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of slydini
Count me in
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Doug Higley is a genius. And quite handsome too.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Well, your half right. I'm no genius.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
figneus
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of figneus
I too would be interested in picking up a copy.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Good idea.
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Interested! Yes!!!
What is the color of magic?
Merlin C
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Merlin C
Very much so. It's been near the top of my wish list, along with the Andruzzi and Punx books.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Ok, I'm in.
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I'd love one!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Dr. Spektor, also pose the question on Mindo's forum - there are people there that don't go here.

Also, please fill me in on your dealings for he who sleeps. I am very interested as I am a big HPL fan.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
magicianroger
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of magicianroger
Sounds good to me also
Air56
View Profile
Regular user
SC
140 Posts

Profile of Air56
I would be interested in adding this to my library.

:stout: Smile Smile
DJM " Not all who wander are lost"
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Will there be tentacles?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Lovecraftian Ceremonies - Resurrected Special Edition (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL