The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Exotic Birds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I purchased a Goffin Cockatoo earlier this year. He still is not trained yet. He is really stubborn. I might never be able to use him for a show. At least he makes a great friend.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Mike,

Have you seen the Womack's training DVDs? I highly recommend them if yo uare seriosu about training any hookbill.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
Dynamike
Any bird can be trained with time patience love and understanding! what I use for my grey is make a game out of things! when I started this she picks up right away! even when I got her talking! then it was lots of rewards! birds like games the more of a game you give them the more they learn!
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Birds are also QUITE bribable with food.

Are you using a training diet yet?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yea, I started the training diet about two weeks ago. When he wants something, he climbs across his cage towards me. I did purchased a couple of Womack's training DVDs. It came with a clicker too. But I want to still my goffin time until he begins to feel comfortable enough with me.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Well, just keep in mind that if he's getting what he wants for free, he wont work.

They are very smart birds. Smile
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
I'm training my bird with her MOST favorite food! and with that in mind she does quite a bit of what I ask of her! but she needs to work more on her cues lol she is always way delayed lol
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2010-10-13 17:14, Cyberqat wrote:
Well, just keep in mind that if he's getting what he wants for free, he wont work.

They are very smart birds. Smile

I should take him off of food stamps.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Mike, it took my Goffin nearly 8 months before she was secure enough with me to begin training. She'll do anything for a small millet pod or an almond chip, so those are my bribes. She's potty trained, which is a big plus, and I have just now, 10 months after getting her, managed to get her into her first "Flight Suit." Avian Fashions really had a great idea there. Give her time to get to know you.

Handle her every day for as long as you can and don't force her. With the flight suit, I now take her out with me more often and she loves rising in the car. She'll come along. My gal is fiercely independent, but she loves to cuddle and play.

Now, if I could just break her of screeching at 7:00 AM and 11:00 PM, She'd be darn near perfect!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Ok, I have a few more months to go.

Mine love peanuts in the shell.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Exotic Birds (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL