The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Bicycle Prestige Dura-Flex cards (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I can't find a thread on these. I picked up a couple of packs ( $2.50 each ). They smell and feel like KEM cards.

http://www.kardwell.com/bicycle-prestige-dura-flex-cards.htm

Bicycle Prestige Playing Cards with Crease Resistant Dura-Flex Stock are preferred by many professionals for their flexibility and durability. Made in the U.S.A., Bicycle Prestige Playing Cards are made from 100% plastic with a distinct paper-like feel. These Bicycle Decks are available in either red or blue backs packed in a clear acrylic case.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4164 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Interesting.

I'm far from the most knowledgable cardman in the world, so I am curious about the "many professionsls" that prefer this deck. What kind of professionals are being referred to? Bridge players, poker players, magicians?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I'm curious where you found these for $2.50.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-01-11 02:10, magicman4646 wrote:
I'm curious where you found these for $2.50.

Walmart.

They smell a bit odd.

But, being 'plastic' they will last, so I'm thinking of using them for an effect that I won;t have to replace as often.

jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I just went to Walmart today and found no new cards. I'll have to go to another one sometime.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The faces "sparkle" in the light. I guess that's the coating.

The Marlo Snap Change is BEAUTIFUL to do with them. DL's are wonderful. Palms are wonderful as they retain their shape.

Side Steals are wonderful. Sharpie marker drys and stays on without smudges.

For me... Fanning isn't very good. Faro's are poor.

If you had another deck and added a card and forced the card, you could do an ACR all night and these cards would hold up for future performances ( walk around/table hopping ).

Water drys off nicely, so for restaurant work, they would hold up nicely.

Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2177 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I haven't been able to find these locally, but I did find some on eBay, so I have 2 decks on the way.

I've used the DiFatta Plastic Bikes quite a bit, so it will be interesting to compare the feel and handling of the Prestige with them.

I do like that the DiFatta plastics have the traditional Rider Back design. The design on the Prestige isn't bad, but I don't like it as much as the Riders.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
commando450
View Profile
New user
Kansas
11 Posts

Profile of commando450
Wow, I just got one at Walmart for 8.99! I might have been more impressed for 2.50...
The backs are my favorite of my plastic cards, but I don't care for the pebbly shine. I would call it more a glare than a sparkle. The odor wafting off these things makes my pupils dilate. As a beginner, plastic cards in general whip my butt for magic.
That said, I'm pretty sure these will be my new poker playing cards. They're all flat and uniform, and though a bit slidier than I'd like, even a three year old could shuffle them.

James
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
They do have a chemical smell to them.

They look great after heavy use and now...a pass is very smooth and....they faro nicely. so, after broken in, much improved feel to them.

The smell has dissipated somewhat or I got used to it.

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6074 Posts

Profile of motown
They might be perfect for something like an invisible or brainwave type deck, ect.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Anyone else found these at any other retailer? I have called several Wal-Mart stores and have been unable to locate them in my area. I did call USPCC and confirmed that Wal-Mart will eventually carry them nationwide but had no time frame.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I live in Canada (Ottawa to be exact) and the Walmart here sells them.
Oddly enough they also sell Theory 11 'Guardians' too.

Not sure I would ever make the switch to plastic cards exclusively but they're fun to play with.
These cards definitely have 'spring' I'll give'em that.
magic-dabra
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
153 Posts

Profile of magic-dabra
Like commando450, I got a deck Saturday at Wal-Mart but they were $8.99. They didn't have a price up and I figured they would be 2.50 like the rest. Didn't realize the price till I got home. I like them OK but don't think they are 8.99 OK. Fun to play with and they do spring and dribble well. Do not fan well as Chris said. Good for doing some work in "rough" areas like rest., picnics, etc.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
They were in a rack under the price of $2.50. They only had one blue, one red and I bought both. I wonder if that price was a mistake? I would have bought a single deck for $8.99, just to play with them.

Will I pay $8.99 if that is the actual price? If they fanned properly, no question I would.

I did Sankey's Paperclipped today ( not a paid show ) and the MCF is a lightening fast ( albeit, a bit noisy due to the properties of the cards ). In a library setting, no good. Bar, restaurant, average background noise settings, it would be fine.

I'm 'trying' to like these. If they are $8.99, that might be the deal breaker.

Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
You can actually do the MCF with that deck??
I wouldn't have guessed that...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4164 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 10:29, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
They do have a chemical smell to them.

The smell has dissipated somewhat or I got used to it.

I can see it now....

"New from (insert your favorite supplier here) - the "Odor Deck"! This deck gets you the most INSANE reations from your spectators (in more ways than one!)....."
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
"Does this smell like your card?" Smile
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Christopher,

After the MCF, did the coating crack or flake off? Just wondering if the residue would be noticable if I did the MCF above a dark close-up pad. I know I could simply use regular bikes, but I just like to ask frivolous and unnecessary questions now and again. Smile

Thanks.

Dave
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
These decks will be $8.99 once they get to the stores. Chris, you happened upon getting a good deal. No store has them in a drivable area from me and I am only 3 hours from USPCC. Wish they would hurry up Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-01-13 18:04, Hearttau wrote:
Christopher,

After the MCF, did the coating crack or flake off? Just wondering if the residue would be noticeable if I did the MCF above a dark close-up pad. I know I could simply use regular bikes, but I just like to ask frivolous and unnecessary questions now and again. Smile

That's a great question. No, there was no flaking.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Bicycle Prestige Dura-Flex cards (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL