The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Cups & Balls at a children's party (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Sorry to hear people don't find humour in C and B. Depends on your routine I guess. I wrote mine with kids in mind, so there are lots of jokes about martians and what they think of earth etc. (see previous post)
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Using the little balls is fine but instead of normal stuff do funny vanishes. snort one up your nose, swallow one, .... whatever. Let the kids catch you only to realize they were actually duped YET AGAIN!!!!!!

watch a little Tom Mullica and you'll think of all sorts of funny stuff to do with these little red balls.

Acting and physical comedy make it entertaining.

To get in the mood, perhaps give the "flash cups" routine a go from Mendoza's recent DVD. takes 30 seconds. go fast at first and then slow it down at the end.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2989 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Andy Comic's routine has a couple of funny bits that kids might enjoy. The first - which he admits that he borrowed from Gazzo - employs the use of a squeaker. You push on top of one of the balls on top of a cup while pumping the concealed squeaker with your other hand. Instant squeaking pom-pom ball. Or make the cups squeak. Invite the kids to touch the table, cups, balls - they all squeak.

Don't know if I'd do this, but the routine actually uses a non-working squeaker as well. Once they call you out on the squeaker trick (and they will), you can then throw the non-working squeaker on the table to reveal your method. Of course, when the helper tries to use that, it doesn't work either. Either let it remain "magic," or let them in on the gag at the end.

The other funny bit that I think is original with Andy Comic is a pretty funny floating wand sucker gag using a chop wand. It's not for me to reveal his material entirely, in case he wants to rerelease it, but if you send him an email I bet he'd share it with you. He's a gentleman that way.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 19:07, ku7uk3 wrote:

Gazzo was the same. All he did was make some tiny balls move around to his OWN delight.

Look, I have seen Gazzo perform this trick in front of the toughest audiences in the world over 1000 times and THEY LOVE IT. I have no idea what video you saw, but I have seen the man do it live and absolutely devastate with it time and time again.

It is hysterically funny, incredibly magical, uses a TON of audience participation, and the finale absolutely blows the minds of EVERYONE in the audience. When that melon comes out of the hat the reaction is deafening EVERY TIME! This is THE finest cups and balls routine in the world for entertaining a lay audience. That is also why it is the most ripped off cups and balls routine in the world.

Gazzo is a BRILLIANT comedian and entertainer. His version of the cups and balls happens to be a fantastic trick as well but it is GAZZO that makes it play.

With almost a thirty year proven track record, to say anything different is just silly.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Last night I took a set of cups and balls, the size of the plastic ones but metal, and did a couple hours of table hopping substituting for a friend. The kids loved it and I did it right at their table. What they really liked was getting to choose which cup the ball would come back to. So for the record it can be done effectively for little kids.

Gil
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
I have done the cups and balls, chop cup and the ball and cone for large groups of kids. Reactions and comments from the kids and their parents have always been great.

Lately I have been using the chop cup more often just because it is more straightforward in getting to the surprise loads. I use lots of things --- large balls, eggs, rocks, apples, salt shakers, props from tricks that came earlier in the show, repeat objects that keep reappearing, anything that will get a gasp and a laugh.

I think that knowing the secret of entertaining a child/adult is the real secret, not what you do.

John

PS, look at my table covered in produced balls from the cone to your left.
The real magic is family!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:
I also disagree with having to establish yourself as a sleight of hand magician. Skill when working for children is how you make it appealing to them. That's about comedy and interacting with the children, and sleight of hand only comes across as showing off.

This may be very true for the kids, but you may be neglecting the adults/parents who are also watching your show. Since these are the real clients in the audience, it may be prudent to include a few effects within your show that impresses them as well.

Kent

Quote:
On 2009-01-12 19:07, ku7uk3 wrote:
I disagree with this trick working to any number over 30 people. The size of the balls make it in-practical.

In 2007, I was awarded two Gold Medals at the PCAM Convention. One of those Gold Medals was for my Jamaican Cups & Balls routine. It was presented on a raised platform in front of hundreds of attendees. No one had any difficulties following the routine and, since then, I have been performing this piece in my corporate banquet shows. These audiences usually average about 200 people at a time yet, again, everyone follows along and has a great time.

The success of this effect in front of a large audience has nothing to do with the size of the props. Instead, everything rests on effective routining, blocking and scripting. You can make it work, but it takes a great deal of effort to do so.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
After performing a kid show walk around a few places to the adults in the house to show small groups. That way you are getting more of a feel of performing the Cups and Balls for the adults, plus giving your client more of their money worth, plus more of a chance to get more bookings from other adults as you give out your cards.

Quote:
On 2009-07-11 23:25, hypnodream wrote:
I think that knowing the secret of entertaining a child/adult is the real secret, not what you do.

You are right, that was the key line.
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
819 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
No comedy in the cups and balls?!? I know this is an old thread but please tell me you've done some more research since then.

https://www.magicana.com/video/david-wil......ccoons-0

This is some of the best comedy possible in magic.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
315 Posts

Profile of noland
I developed a one-cup/one-ball routine as part of my close-up set for kids, reminiscent of a chop cup routine except that the cup is a large, ungimmicked metal camping cup. I don't do this in my shows where the kids are seated, but I do perform it in close-up settings where the kids are standing around. I use 1 inch sponge balls with a lead fishing weight embedded inside to keep them from rolling away (especially useful if performing outside in the wind). The routine is very short. I introduce the cup and have it examined (adding a few gags), my wand, which I immediately flip-stick vanish and reproduce from inside the cup, and finally a ball, which I offer for examination instructing a would-be volunteer "not to lose it, because it's a very expensive ball"--the ball then immediately disappears while I am in the act of passing it out for examination and I blame the volunteer for losing it. So I take an "extra" one out of my pocket and continue with the routine. I then make the ball disappear twice and reappear twice under the cup. I announce that anyone can do this, "all you need is the magic wand." I invite a volunteer up, hand them the wand, they tap the inverted bottom of the cup, I lift the cup and a 3 inch ball is under the cup. I praise the volunteer but explain "that's not my favorite part--do you want to see my favorite part?" The kids say "yes" and I produce a 5 inch ball from under the cup. I then give the volunteer credit for making both jumbo balls appear and he leaves to a round of applause. The routine is very short and direct, not drawn out like the classic Vernon/Gazzo routines (great routines, but not for kids). Also, it has many interactive features with the kids which help hold their interest. I don't do this in my regular shows, although you can enhance visibility by tilting your table toward the audience by putting objects like a couple of card decks under the 2 rear legs of your table. Someone suggested that you do the routine on children's hands--I tried this for a while. The kid invariably would lower their hand or drop it or move it around at a critical moment and mess up a load or some other move. So I advise against that.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1608 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I've been using my cup and balls routine for 3 up to 6 years old. It's such a hit that it took a ling time before I shelved it for another trick.
It can be a lot of ranting, screaming and laughing with this prop if it's routine and presented properly.
Chris Meece---You post is right on.
Kent Wong,I will PM you on your post about impressing the adults during the performance.
Tricky Ricky
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
315 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2020, TrickyRicky wrote:
I've been using my cup and balls routine for 3 up to 6 years old. It's such a hit that it took a ling time before I shelved it for another trick.
It can be a lot of ranting, screaming and laughing with this prop if it's routine and presented properly.
Chris Meece---You post is right on.
Kent Wong,I will PM you on your post about impressing the adults during the performance.
Tricky Ricky

So, Ricky, what are some of the ways you generate comedy with your cups and balls, and get the kids to laugh?
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1608 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I will get back to later. My desktop is at the shop for a hugh update to Windows 10.
I'm using a tablet that not too reliable.
Tricky Ricky
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Cups & Balls at a children's party (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL