The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Indiana Law (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm trying to confirm some information for a brother of mine, and wonder if anybody here is at all familiar with Indiana law. I heard that in child custody cases, the legal age where a child can decide for themselves which parent they want to stay with is age 13. Does anyone else have any idea if this is true?
Thanks
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
According to this answer by someone claiming to be an Indiana lawyer, the answer is that when a child reaches 14 the judge must factor the child's wishes into their judgment. Consult with an attorney licensed to practice in Indiana or Indiana child services to be sure.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Indiana-98/Child-custody-age.htm

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

Curt
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't know if it is a specific law but it isn't unusual for the judge to ask a kid who is old enough to have an opinion that counts their thought. Here is what I've noticed among rational divorces, meaning one parents isn't beating kids or something. The girls want to go with the fathers because they know they can get away with more and the boys want to go with the mothers for the same reason. Two years later they switch back....cool huh?
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Oh, I thought this was about the stupid, STUPID, no-alcohol-on-Sunday law
"Illusion is the first of all pleasures."
Oscar Wilde

"If you only knew the hours I spent just thinking about practicing"
-The Amazing Jonathan
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Tell him to delay the case for a few more years!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Jordini, my favorite non drinking laws are in Massachuettsets (sp, who cares). I was in Wilmington and ordered a beer at the bar then walked to a table with it, they had a screaming fit and told me I could get arrested! It is against the law to walk with an alcoholic drink there!
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Despite the fact that it is made there, you can't drink Jack Daniels in Lynchburg, TN.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Quote:
On 2009-01-13 16:40, MagicSanta wrote:
Jordini, my favorite non drinking laws are in Massachuettsets (sp, who cares). I was in Wilmington and ordered a beer at the bar then walked to a table with it, they had a screaming fit and told me I could get arrested! It is against the law to walk with an alcoholic drink there!

Ridiculous! Can you run, crawl, swim or jog with it? Bet there's a loophole!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
They have lots of laws like that around the US. I didn't get the whole walking with a beer thing but I've punched people in bars and had less of a reaction. Maybe if there are any Massholes (that is what residents of Massachuettsets are called officially) here they can explain it.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Shoot, in Texas you used to be able to drive with an open beer in your hand.

Then the d**ned Northern Liberals moved in and changed the laws...
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2726 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Look on the bright side, at least there's probably less spilled beer.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I checked, the town in Mass is Woburn, Wilmington is next to it where the factory was. The law is listed in sites with funny laws, the thing that goe me was they enforce it. I remember being able to drink a beer while driving in Florida, just couldn't be drunk, then the passengers could drink. In Georgia where I lived a local bar had a drive through, that was Woodbine Georgia I think (I lived in St. Mary's.)
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
If someone handed you a beer in Wilmington while you were standing, by Law, you couldn't move until you passed the beer back right?

Smile

There's a "stuck foot" routine right there!

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2726 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I remember reading about a town, I think it was the one Clint Eastwood ended up running for mayor of, I seem to believe that I heard the story because they were giving background as to what Clint was trying to undo. In this town, you couldn't drink ANYTHING on the sidewalk. One guy was on the edge of a crowded bar with an empty can of soda in his hand. He couldn't get to the trash can to get rid of it so he stepped outside the building (one of those "open" types) and took two steps toward a trash can on the corner when a policeman came up and started writing a ticket. When he said it was an empty, the policeman turned the can upside down. Two or three drops fell out and the policeman finished writing out the ticket!
Ain't life unkind?"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Smile

Incredible...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ed, that is Carmel California, next to Monterey. Clint did become mayor and he got rid of a lot of the stupidity in that town. For example the streets had no signs on them. The logic being that locals would know their way around and the lesser than desirable tourist wouldn't go there since they couldn't find their way around. Since it really is a tourist town that made no sense. I would think the non drinking on the sidewalk law existed and Clint likely got rid of it. He did a good job running that place.

Side note. Clint Eastwood married a smokin' hot news reporter from the Monterey station, I watched that news. I say this because I've never seen a good photo of her with Eastwood but she is actually stunning.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2726 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I didn't know the street sign thing. Wow. I'm reminded of a story someone told about the Soviet Union. They would print the maps of Moscow wrong deliberatly. The theory was if you didn't know where you were, you shouldn't be there.

I do understand that in Tokyo, street signs are a quaint concept that never seem to have caught on.
Ain't life unkind?"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The story back then as to why Clint wanted to be mayor was as a restaurant owner (The Hogs Breath I think it was, I don't know if he still owns it) was he wanted to change some of the laws restricting him. Something about not allowing Café style dining outside. He fixed it and did a good job.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Indiana Law (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL