The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Sideshow Lovers in Psychology Class (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
If your Professor asks you to define punk, don't use the sideshow definition!
It won't go well...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2906 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 13:06, critter wrote:
If your Professor asks you to define punk, don't use the sideshow definition!
It won't go well...

Sounds like there is a story to be told here?
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Sideshow definition is anyone under 18. ANYONE. What's the beef?
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
Phew, thank god I turned 19 last October!
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Well..... punk as a musical preference? Punk as in MTV's prank show? Or jail term punk, which is what the big guy named bubba will do to you in his cell after lights out?

19? I thought you were older than that. I'm about twice your age and these old timers call ME a kid, you must be a babbling babe.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Punk as in that smoldering wick you use to light fuses?
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2906 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2009-01-13 00:53, erikkloeker wrote:
Phew, thank god I turned 19 last October!

Some people are punks no matter what the age. I, of course, don't refer to you Erik. You are with it, for it and never against it.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
It began with "Well, if you mean a pickled punk..."
I don't like the direction punk music headed.
Ramones, good. Sex Pistols, listenable. KMFDF, yuck. That's my opinion though.
You have to realize that my psych teacher is easy to mess with. He's the sort that believes in auras and that firewalking is some kind of "Jedi mind trick.TM"
~Will Rogers
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Quote:
On 2009-01-14 10:33, critter wrote:
He's the sort that believes in auras and that firewalking is some kind of "Jedi mind trick.TM"
Well then he's got as much business teaching a science course as Ghengis Khan would teaching about Gandhi.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2009-01-14 11:53, Stephon wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-14 10:33, critter wrote:
He's the sort that believes in auras and that firewalking is some kind of "Jedi mind trick.TM"
Well then he's got as much business teaching a science course as Ghengis Khan would teaching about Gandhi.

That's kind of what I thought. But psych is one of my requirements for my major so whattayagonnado?
~Will Rogers
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
KMFDM is far from punk. More like industrial goth dance style, then Ministry stole their style, then Rob Zombie stole Ministry's sound and look. None of these bands can be called punk, check any song file for title and category. Punk music actually originated here in the states, but like all Brits, they take a good thing, mess it up and call it their own. Then the even more stupid American punks stole it back and whipped in a little Johnny Cash and we have Rockabilly (an offshoot of punk). Nowadays we have creampuff punk (more crap for the masses, more palatable than true punk) like Blink 182 and the Offspring. Green Day is wannabe punk. You can measure real punk rock by the collective amount of track marks on the band members and their home made tattoos.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
My friend Ken was heavily into the SLC punk scene. He was all excited when the movie came out. My other friend Mike was just a little late for the spawning of Florida Death Metal.
I don't think it's really possible to say for sure what is punk from a linguistic standpoint. The punk pioneers like Siouxsie and the Pistols usually denied being punk. Siouxsie also denied being goth, as did Bauhaus. In fact, the only band I know ever copped to a label in that generation was Joy Division, who pretty much invented the goth label being used for their particular musical genre. But goth was thought of as an offshoot of punk, and almost no bands admitted to being either.
And the so called "goths" nowadays have never even heard of Bauhaus, and the few that have heard Joy Division only know it because they really liked the Crow, but only because Brandon Lee was pretty.
Then again, the Joy Division song in that movie was performed by Trent Reznor, an industrial? musician. So does that mean that the Hot Topic kids are right and NIN really IS goth because they did a goth song(?) Very existential.
Labels schmabels. It's all music. Some of it's good, some of it's crap.
In the words of the greatest sailor ever, "I yam what I yam."
Punk=Mohawks, therefore Mr.T was the greatest punk ever.
Off to my math test.
TTFN.
~Will Rogers
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
You don't use the word Punk in prison unless you are ready to fight. It's the WORST insult.

I like good music. I don't know what to label it as it is very eclectic. When I was a teen I loved the Dead Milkmen. I can't even listen to it at this age. Tastes change. I'm now smooth jazz all the way.

Psych teachers and working psychs have issues. They are trying to heal themselves by fixing others. My personal oppinion of course but I have met allot of quacks in that biz. No offense Critter. I almost went into it myself before realizing I was just too messed up to help strangers beyond entertaining them.

Math test? The one single reason I did not persue higher education. I despise numbers.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
So uhhhh, yeah...

Pickled punks, right?
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Yeah, someone else brought up the prison punk thing after my "outburst." He silenced the room.
I still like Dead Milkmen. Especially the weird stand-up comedy/beat poetry things they do like "Stuart"
No offense taken. My major is Physical Therapy and Kinesiology, not psych.
Without getting too into my personal history, I have known too many ****** up shrinks.
The director of Eastern State Mental Hospital came to our class today and the whole time she was talking I was thinking "BULL****!!! That's not what it's like at all!"

Quote:
On 2009-01-15 13:37, Rotten wrote:
You don't use the word Punk in prison unless you are ready to fight. It's the WORST insult.

I like good music. I don't know what to label it as it is very eclectic. When I was a teen I loved the Dead Milkmen. I can't even listen to it at this age. Tastes change. I'm now smooth jazz all the way.

Psych teachers and working psychs have issues. They are trying to heal themselves by fixing others. My personal oppinion of course but I have met allot of quacks in that biz. No offense Critter. I almost went into it myself before realizing I was just too messed up to help strangers beyond entertaining them.

Math test? The one single reason I did not persue higher education. I despise numbers.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2009-01-15 13:37, Freak Prodigy wrote:
So uhhhh, yeah...

Pickled punks, right?

Right.
~Will Rogers
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1672 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 21:49, Doug Higley wrote:
Sideshow definition is anyone under 18. ANYONE. What's the beef?
Just the nice ones, the rest are pizzukes.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Those hideous cat things with the fringe around them that you attempt to knock down with baseballs in the game joint are also "punks." Those things scared me more as a kid than the flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz.

If you think about it, there is a relationship between punk, as in the fiber that lets you carry a spark, and punk, as in a cheap doll, likely stuffed with the same material. Punk in the sense of a doll, a fake little person, seems like the origin of pickled punk, meaning that the thing is a doll or fake rather than a real fetus or baby.

In Elizabethan English, it was slang for a prostitute, relating to the prison term, perhaps only accidentally.

Funny how "guy," which in American slang is a generic term for an adult male, originates in the flammable doll that is ignited on November 5 in Britain. "Guy" is innocent slang in America, but "punk" is pretty negative even outside of prison.

Yours,

Paul
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
That's very interesting. Etymology is fun!

Quote:
On 2009-01-23 16:34, drwilson wrote:
Those hideous cat things with the fringe around them that you attempt to knock down with baseballs in the game joint are also "punks." Those things scared me more as a kid than the flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz.

If you think about it, there is a relationship between punk, as in the fiber that lets you carry a spark, and punk, as in a cheap doll, likely stuffed with the same material. Punk in the sense of a doll, a fake little person, seems like the origin of pickled punk, meaning that the thing is a doll or fake rather than a real fetus or baby.

In Elizabethan English, it was slang for a prostitute, relating to the prison term, perhaps only accidentally.

Funny how "guy," which in American slang is a generic term for an adult male, originates in the flammable doll that is ignited on November 5 in Britain. "Guy" is innocent slang in America, but "punk" is pretty negative even outside of prison.

Yours,

Paul
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Sideshow Lovers in Psychology Class (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL