We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can Hydrogen Power Your Home (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
A friend came over to the house the other day and posed the question below. I did not know what to say so I thought I would pose it to all here to see what feed back I get.

We talked about cars running on hydrogen and he asked a question I had not thought of before. If you can produce hydrogen (from water)and store it in a tank similar to a propane tank could you use that to run a converted generator to power some things in the house?

I had not heard that before. And my first thought was how explosive hydrogen is and that I am not sure if I wanted that in my backyard. Remember the Hindenberg? But I guess it may be no more explosive than Natural Gas or Propane.

I have searched the web and found nothing for home use. Only info on how to convert your car to run on hydrogen.

Secondly, I'm not sure, but I think it may use as much energy or more to produce the hydrogen than it would actually generate.

What do you guys think?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You are correct my Georgian amigo. It takes more energy to produce the Hydrogen to make it worthwhile in the US, it would sound sexy though and that is more important to the huggers than reality. You know, kinda like when they put fillers into fuel that don't do anything positive. Now if in the 70s the huggers had allowed nuc plants to be built rather than destroying the industry in the US it would be efficient to use hydrogen. Some countries can use hydrogen because they do have the cheaper more efficient nuc plants. Prepare now for the huggers to defend their continued destruction of the planet Earth.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
*cough*Hindenburg*cough*

lol
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Good one!
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
You also have the issue of storing Hydrogen. People that promote Hydrogen will tell you that Hydrogen has 3 times the energy of gasoline per pound. However, most will forget to mention that the density of gasoline is over 8,000 times more dense than hydrogen. So for a given amount of energy, the volume of hydrogen required is about 2,600 times that of gasoline. So if you're a blimp, that's not a big problem, however, if you're a car or a house...then that's a problem. Even if you compress it with today's technology, you can't get close.

So your only alternative is to manufacture it as you need it, a real trick if you can do it.
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
Thanks for the replies. Very informative if you ask me.

I've seen the portable generators that run on hydrogen such as in the link. But they are soooo expensive and really do not put out that much power.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
But Allan, they are sooooo PC.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Can hydrogen power your home?

Let's tale the governmental approach to find out - we'll ban any other means of powering your home, and hope technologies for hydrogen to power your home become available by the time the ban takes effect.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My lil' yankee pal Allan (I lived in South Georgia not the vile North) has a good idea for a hugger motto:

"Not effecient yet very expensive"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-01-13 01:15, Joey Stalin wrote:
*cough*Hindenburg*cough*

lol

That was a terrible choice in metal paint which did in that Zeppelin.

Anyway we already are Hydrogen powered - thanks to the sun and a safe distance and our atmosphere...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
What about when the sun explodes and per the Gore crowd we no longer have an atmosphere...what about then smartie?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-01-13 18:56, MagicSanta wrote:
What about when the sun explodes and per the Gore crowd we no longer have an atmosphere...what about then smartie?

if I'm still around in about ten billion years... and stuck here...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can Hydrogen Power Your Home (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL