We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Is David Blaine ruining magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
It seems that David Blaine has cast a negative light on the art. His increasingly ridiculous stunts seem to be the act of a man desperate for attention and who will do practically anything to attain that attention.

It just feels like David Blaine has "cheapened" the art and made more of a mockery out of it rather than something for lay-persons to admire. A few of his specials were on tv back-to-back-to-back and we were watching at my aunts house over the holidays. There were about 20 or so people watching and nearly everyone regarded his magic as a joke or something to laugh at, especially his levatation stunts. I was embarassed a couple of times when they would turn to me and ask "do you do that kind of stuff?" I'll admit that he is a highly skilled magician, but his antics just seem to have taken the art of magic in the wrong direction and it is going to keep heading in that direction as long as he keeps orchestrating these publicity stunts that seem to irritate more people than they amaze.

David Blaine has created this image that a magician is a guy dressed as a hippie slacker who just took 3 valiums and also has apparent facial paralysis prohibiting them from smiling or showing any emotion other than sorrow with their face, walking up to random people on the street and begging for them to let him show them a trick. That's just not the image that the word "magician" should conjure up in peoples minds.

I don't know, it's just my opinion.
rickyhmltn
View Profile
New user
USA
66 Posts

Profile of rickyhmltn
Nah, I wouldn't say David Blaine is ruining magic. I separate his stunts from his magic specials. By that I mean his stunts are not illusions or magical in nature but more about human perseverance. Does David Blaine even really do magic anymore? I think most people regard him as more of a performer of stunts nowadays than a magician. I guess what I'm saying is and I don't mean this in a criticizing/bad way at all, but I would consider him a stuntman first who does a few magic things rather than a magician first who also does stunts.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I'll keep my opinion out of it and just say that after his last TV special, all I kept hearing about from lay people was the "match trick", "the one where the girl flicked to her card in the deck" and the one with the "x's on the hand."

Everyone said they didn't "get" the ending of the stunt but enjoyed the magic.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I wouldn't go that far. Some do really like him though.

He does his thing, we should do ours.

Take the good, leave the bad, add your own.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20342 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No he isn't.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
He's NOT doing HIS thing?

Who's thing is he doing?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Well, I guess we can't all put on a tuxedo and saw a lady in half.
Some people just HAVE to do presentations that people can RELATE to.
Darn them to heck.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Casey Magic
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
177 Posts

Profile of Casey Magic
All I can say is that I think most magicians hate him because they are jealous in one way or another to be honest. I think they feel that, it is not them, therefore, it could be, or should be, and somehow that is bad. Who knows...I think he's pretty good at what he does.
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
He is working and making a living doing what he loves, if he is ruining magic he isn't ruining it for himself and his audience! So are you are you doing those things? The art of magic is changing because the times change even if we don't like it. This doesn't have anything to do with Blaine it has to do with the times. When are magicians going to wake up and realize that wearing Tuxes and glitter outfits are not in anymore? We need to learn how to except things for what they are and not what they use to be. The art itself has not changed, in fact the methods and techniques are the same that they always have been. We all have different personalities and appearances and that is something we should accept even if a magician is looking like a stoner or an old man trying to be cool and hip.

Face facts things are what they are and magic is just what it is an art form that is not in the forefront like acting and video games!
David White
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of David White
Quote:
On 2009-01-15 12:42, Dannydoyle wrote:
No he isn't.

I wholeheartedly agree, David Blaine is not ruining magic in any way.

Quite the opposite actually.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I'd also like to say, what he did for the kids with the Target stunt...
If you're not familiar with this story, it was in Magic magazine a little less than two years ago I think.
Blaine had never done any endorsement deals, despite being approached many times.
Finally, when Target approached him, he said there was only one condition, that they sponsor a tour of childrens hospitals for him.
For that, he threw the stunt together in a week.
That's a heck of a good guy, and someone who would do something like that can only give magic a good name.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
295 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
For better or worse Mr. Blaine and Mr. Angel are taking antiquated ideas and breathing new life into them. Would you say that Houdini ruined magic by doing escapes and physical stunts? I think not. In my opinion and from observations, a lot of the magic community is afraid of change and this has always ruffled feathers. The Professor is hailed by many as revolutionizing magic and bringing it from top hats and rabbits to more intriguing effects. If we let the art get stale then the fun and creativity is lost. What is killing magic is the shoddy attempts by ameteurs who place videos on the internet that are horrible. These guys breeze throught the instructions and rush to put effects on the net only to expose the mechanis of the effect. This is the cancer that is killing magic if anything.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
phaddad2
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of phaddad2
Blaine's style was not meant for an old fart like me,But, he has made it easier for me to book high school shows because he has made magic appeal to that age group. So, I feel he has helped all us working guys.
Pete H.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Is David Blaine ruining magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL