The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What's the Effect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
For those of us who caught the latest episode of Masters of Illusion, I pose a question. Actually, this is for anyone who performs this illusion or has seen this illusion.

I'm speaking specifically about the Jet Turbine illusion at the end of the show performed by Ridgeway & Johnson.

My big question is... What IS the effect?

Are they going through the blades of a Jet Engine and living? Are they supended in mid air in a strange, swirling thingy? Are they being chopped up and reassembled in the audience?

I have seen this illusion performed in several forms. Tim Kole, for instance. And the progression is the same. Person slides halfway into turbine, they pull table away and they're sitting there in mid-air, and then there's a cloth or smoke and they disappear and reappear somewhere in the audience.

So, what is the effect? What's the audience supposed to think when the magician is suspended in the fan half way?

David Copperfield's The Fan, in my opinion, streamlines the thinking of this effect. "There's a big fan, he and an assistant walk through it and disappear, they reappear in the audience."

Am I the only one who thinks that the "Midair Suspension" in the Jet Turbine illusion is an example of "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should?"

Set me straight if I'm off base on this one, because I've done very few grand illusions in my career. But I'd like to heard people's thoughts on this.
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Ask Kevin. He's on the Café...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
This is more of a general opinion / thought process question than a method question. But I would love to hear his thoughts, as well.
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3641 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I saw it, and was not impressed.

Jim
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I do see your point .. and I remember Brett had this in his show a few years back. Same sort of effect .. I guess. I do remember how awesome this thing looked onstage .. it's huge! It really does look scary too. Between shows I got a closer look and the prop is very impressive. I believe the motor is the same as used on the rotor of a helicopter .. no joke.

Not every illusion is perfect, or makes sense. This one is actually more impressive in person. Sometimes it just doesn't translate well on television.

Steve
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
I saw this on the show monday. I've never seen it before, but I don't think I like the illusion very much. not sure if I'm the only one but the secret seemed to just jump out at me the 1st time I saw it.
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
Fabricem
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Fabricem
Yes, this is just an other bad example of "new" big Illusions ( yhea they want call it big Illusion) , you can't call it big Illusion "just because is big ", what illusion is ... you can see the Illusionist pass thru a fan , sorry just in the center of the fan , c' mon we are joking or what , this is magic ? come to listen the people and what they feel some ! but .....this is what many producers wants, they ask all the time for the big things because the big things are good for the promotions (like Lamborghini apperance , airplane or bla bla bla... ), I perform many Big Illusions and I know wha I'm saying , I like the big things but when they are well maded like Osmosis and many others things ,I tink we must be more crithics on

magic, in many cases we are really blinded, where is the real magic like in the past , where are the real magic inventors like in the past, I can see just box , box box , and base, base, base, and evrybody have the same illusions original or not , I'm tired , the producers are tired and also THE AUDIENCE IS REALLY TIRED TO SEE ALL THE TIMES THE SAME THINGS!!! Belive me! Finally I can say sometings free!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What's the Effect? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL