The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Looking for pack small system (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Does anyone have a recommendation for a smaller system that fits in a suitcase table, runs on battery and is still powerful? It will need to connect to my ipod which controls the music.

My current system is an Anchor Explorer Pro and am hoping for something smaller and lighter to use in the many smaller shows I do.

The Mackie srm150 seemed perfect when I first saw it, then realized it doesn't run on battery but I will end up getting it if nothing else is found here.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Check this out. Probably not what you're looking for but very nice.
http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/sound_table.htm
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Hey Mike,
I live, die and swear by the Mini Vox. I use this one (but it is currently discontinued):
http://www.audiolinks.com/tek9/tek9.asp?......jokqlrk0

The new model is this:

http://www.francisav.com/minivox.htm

Contact www.anchoraudio for a dealer near you.

Good luck.

Jim
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Jim,
That's what I'm looking for.

While browsing the site I also found the An Mini: http://www.francisav.com/anmini.htm but can't tell how it is different from the Mini Vox.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Perrello
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
http://floridamagic.bizhosting.com/flori......tem.html

I have and still use the predecessor to this model and for me it works great!
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
In the December Issue of Magic Magazine, there is an ad for a really good system that Silly Billy recommends. It is sold by Brian Happie (bhappie.com). I have one of these, and it works great for my smaller venues. Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with this, just passing on what has worked for me!
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2009-01-14 21:10, MikeRaffone wrote:
Jim,
That's what I'm looking for.

While browsing the site I also found the An Mini: http://www.francisav.com/anmini.htm but can't tell how it is different from the Mini Vox.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

I believe that it's the same new model as above just without the case. I have the old model and it's soooooper loud. I hear this new one is even better. Smile

Jim
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Mike,

Jim is correct...

The only interesting thing I found is a difference on the spec sheet.
Anchor says:
The Minivox Lite will reach crowds of 100+
The AN Mini will reach crowds of 50+

Personally, I think 75 is a safe number, unless it's all kids screaming and beating on drums.

Price-wise, if you get the deluxe system (and include getting a case for the AN Mini), the Minivox saves you $10 over the AN Mini.

You own Anchor and know their quality.

Dave
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Thanks for the leads. All these systems seem great and yes I tend to like the Anchor stuff more since I have one.

Just one last question -

All the ads tell how great they are for PA, but what about the music quality? Is one of the above better for music than the others?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Perrello
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Mike,
Gotta be honest on this one. The quality of the music isn't THAT great but to me it's good enough to use at almost every show I do. If you need a real workhorse to take to all your birthday and family shows...the Mini Vox is the one. Just make sure you order it with the cordless mic. (I use the cordless headset). In fact, I bought mine after I saw Joel Bauer do a lecture at the castle. He had many praises for it as I do now.

A friend of mine attached a tripod piece (the one that gets locked into the tripod) to the bottom of the unit. So now whenever I am setting up, all I have to do is pull out the tripod, lock the Mini Vox in place, turn it on and plug my VSM into it and away I go.

The best thing for you to do is go to an Anchor retailer and have them show you the different choices. Then, choose the one that best fits your needs.

Jim
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Don't forget the Paso Procast 50, which has been discussed on a few threads, like this one.

I seem to recall it can be battery operated.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I own a PASO ProCast50; it is battery operated, and I have been very satisfied with it. I originally didn't recommend it for this particular use because I thought we were talking about a tripod-style table with built-in speakers, and I didn't think it would fit.

But now I see that you specified a suitcase table, which to me means a boxy Lefler-style table (what used to be called a "night club table"). I imagine the PASO would fit inside it just fine. I have used my PASO unit in both indoor and outdoor locations for over two years now, and have never had a problem with it, except that the plastic mic clip broke on the lapel mic. I replaced it with a $10 metal mic clip from Audio-Technia, and have had clear sailing ever since.

I have used and heard both the PASO and the Anchor AN-130, which are comparable in features and price (although the Anchor unit is NOT battery-operated). The PASO seemed to have much more power and punch, even though they are both 30 watt systems.

As for music reproduction, remember that most of these PA systems only have (and only need) one speaker, so we are talking mono, not stereo. But in my opinion, they will do a fine job for just preshow and background music, unless you are performing for a group of musicians or music critics. If you are using an MP3 player for a music source, you will probably need a stereo-to-mono patch cord to connect it to the PA's auxiliary input; they are about $6 at Radio Shack. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
The Happie PA and the Procast50 are new to me. Thanks for sharing this.

I ended up ordering the Mini Vox Lite with the wireless built in since it is compatible with my existing mic and transmitter. Also got the battery/charger pack.
They said this system may be a little more powerful than the discontinued model (the one with the handle on top that looks like a portable spotlight)since the wattage is slightly higher. Will soon find out and will let you know how it works out in my show.

Thanks much!
Mike
Mike Perrello
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
I have the above mention unit that looks like a spot light and I love it. You will NOT be dissatisfied Mike!!!! Smile
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
I received the An Min Vox Lite with the wireless option and you are right Jim, I am very happy with it. It is clear and powerful and more than loud enough for audiences of 50 people. Using this along with the ipod reduced the weight of my show by more than 30lb. Everyone, thanks again for all the great info!

Mike
Mike Perrello
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Glad you found what you needed, Mike, it looks like a good compact system.

I see the "Deluxe Package" (the PA unit, wireless receiver and choice of transmitter, spare wired mike, soft case and battery recharge kit) lists for about $1000, with a street price of around $800. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
A lot cheaper if you buy the parts separately and only get the parts you need. Following Jim's link, I only paid $418 for the system with wireless option and battery charger pack. Didn't need a mic or body pack transmitter because it came free with my existing Anchor system and it is 100% compatible with the new system.

Mike
Mike Perrello
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Mike,

How are you liking the new system. I am thinking about getting one for street busking performances.
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
I use a microcube purchased at Sam Ash music, it will run on batteries. There are several inputs so you can hook up a music player and a microphone. There is also an echo bilt in, there is a control knob to set how much you want or don't want
Gus
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Mark McDermott
View Profile
Regular user
Union Mills, IN
111 Posts

Profile of Mark McDermott
I just got a NADY-120 system from DAK.com and it has a built in wireless mic. you have a choice of headmic, lavilier or hand held when you order. the unit is six lbs and has seperate controls for mic, aux. and built in wireless mic. I plug in my I pod and mount it on my tripod and I am ready to go. it is ac or dc and will be good for 100 people.

The best part is I paid only $115.00 delivered

All the best, Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Looking for pack small system (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL