The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The race to the moon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
2009 is International Astronomy year, and I'm sure that all we NOTS are pretty excited about it. Why 2009 you ask? Well, it's the 400th anniversary of Galileo's use of the telescope, including his historic mapping of the moon.

It turns out, though, that Galileo may not have won the race to the moon. According to the Daily Mail, a quiet Englishman, Thomas Harriot beat him to the punch. Who knew?

Happy Astronomy year. Turn out those unneeded lights, and enjoy the beauty of the night sky.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I'm waiting for the race to the Sun.

That'd be something.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2009-01-15 11:17, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
I'm waiting for the race to the Sun.

That'd be something.

For safety, they plan to go at night. Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
The "Daily Mail" is like quoting the "National Enquirer"? Smile
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Yup, at night is best...

In winter, it's colder...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-01-15 12:11, Tom Bartlett wrote:
The "Daily Mail" is like quoting the "National Enquirer"? Smile

A little closer to Fox News than the Enquirer, I think. Caveat emptor still applies.

If you want a source with a better pedigree (but says the same thing as the Daily Mail article) check space.com.

John
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Quote:
On 2009-01-15 11:15, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Turn out those unneeded lights, and enjoy the beauty of the night sky.

It's amazing to see the starry sky on a clear night. My wife, son and I were on the garden island of Kaua'i on just such a night. I'd forgotten just how wonderful the stars look without the ambient indulgence of suburban sprawl.
POOF!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-01-15 15:23, kregg wrote:

It's amazing to see the starry sky on a clear night. My wife, son and I were on the garden island of Kaua'i on just such a night. I'd forgotten just how wonderful the stars look without the ambient indulgence of suburban sprawl.

Absolutely. There is nothing to compare with the grandeur of the uninterrupted night sky.

Is there enough love of the night sky to win it back? Can our cities live with just a little less wasted light?

John
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2009-01-15 11:15, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Turn out those unneeded lights, and enjoy the beauty of the night sky.

John

That is one of the things I remember most about spending summers with my grandparents. They lived in the country, and there weren't any of those security lights that are around the house today. Sitting on the porch (in the rocking chairs), listening to the crickets, and looking at the stars was the perfect ending to the day. Guess that's one reason why we call them "The Good Ole Days".

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
"Cynics, perhaps, might wonder if Harriot could craftily have backdated his drawings in the hope that his achievements would be recognised in posterity."

Wow, looks like he could have been a magician too... Smile
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I have a telescope and pride and joy Astronomical Binoculars (Sky Masters)...alas though, they operate in a very narrow field. Nothing beats a pitch black clear night in an area free of ambient light polution to blow the mind. (Then zero in with the Celestrons. Smile )
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-01-16 07:44, Doug Higley wrote:
I have a telescope and pride and joy Astronomical Binoculars (Sky Masters)...alas though, they operate in a very narrow field. Nothing beats a pitch black clear night in an area free of ambient light polution to blow the mind. (Then zero in with the Celestrons. Smile )

Important advice for those wishing to acquaint themselves with the night sky, Doug. Binoculars are much easier to use than are telescopes. Check out the richness of the sky with any old binoculars first. Once you figure out where things are (it takes a while, but it's not that hard) then consider a decent telescope.

John
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I really love my Sky Masters...they are best used for locating deep space objects because of the wider field...mounted on a tripod they are terrific. (They are large.)Inexpensive too!

The telescope usually just sits and looks 'scholarly' in the corner of the living room. Smile

Buit yes John...most any Binocs aimed ANYWHERE in the night sky will pull in things you won't believe...stars and galaxies and clusters appear out of nowhere. Binocs can even spot the moons of Jupiter and rings of saturn. Exciting stuff. Smile

The Sky Masters are also terrific for land use and beach use as well. There is a bluff overlooking Moonlight Beach here that when you sit up there and aim out into the Pacific you WILL see pods of leaping dolphins and passing whales....and other 'things'.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The race to the moon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL