The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Fanning? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Creanada
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Creanada
Hi all,
I'm relatively new to magic and I've been able to learn a few basic flourishes like the Charlier Cut off Jeff Mc Bride's Art of Card Manipulation after I picked it up super cheap at a car boot sale, but no matter how hard I try ,I don't seem to be able to do any kind of proper fan. I can just about do a thumb fan and split fan with quarter of the deck, but no more cards or I mess up. I was thinking about getting Dante King's Fanning Tutorial, is it worth it?
Thanks a lot,
Mike
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Mike
Why don't you try to use some fanning powder? It really makes card fanning easier.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
Jonatan_B
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Jonatan_B
Well, you should make it without powder - or you can use new decks.

It's in the technique, I don't have the video but watch how McBride is holding the deck and his technique and you might want to try to copy him.
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
A new deck is another nice idea. Try to use it just for fanning.

Thanks,
Jonatan.
Creanada
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Creanada
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking though, if I manage to fan the deck with fanning powder, does that mean I'll only ever be able to fan using powder?
Justin McWilliams
View Profile
1983 - 2005
New Jersey
157 Posts

Profile of Justin McWilliams
Well Creanada,

My suggestion to you would be to learn to fan with and without powder. That way you can use powder in your show, and if someone afterwards came up to you, and asked to fan their own cards to see if yours were fake, you can do it well.
Hey I'm a magician, i've never told a lie.....oops:o/
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Mike,
You have just to practice many, many hours. Things like that don't come easy.
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
There is nothing wrong with using fanning podwer. Give It a try. Feel the difference...

Mago Mai
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Learning to fan cards can be tricky because so many factors come into play: the condition of the cards, the position of the deck/packet in your hands, the anatomy of your hands, the amount of pressure applied, etc.

How is your ribbon spreading technique? If you can get a good, smooth ribbon easily from your deck, it should be reasonably good for fanning. If your spread clumps or breaks because of stickiness or slick spots, it probably isn't the best deck for learning to fan. Powder could help, but it may be easier to just try another deck. A comfortably broken-in deck should be good.

Since you already have The Art of Card Manipulation, you shouldn't need to spend more money on more material just to learn the basics. Just turn the volume off. Watch, don't listen. Many of the nuances are seen, not explained. Pay attention to where Jeff positions the cards. Use that as your starting point then make any minor adjustments that may be necessary for your hands.

Once you've found the correct position(s), pressure becomes the key factor. Correct pressure is something which is learned, not taught, so that must come from patient practice. Just keep experimenting thoughtfully and you will get it.
Creanada
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Creanada
Thanks for all the replies. These forums are a really helpful place! I've been watching Jeff without the sound for most of the morning and now I can thumb fan the first half evenly but then I just end up with a clump at the end. But I guess it's just a matter of practice! Thanks again to eveyone.
Mike
Justin McWilliams
View Profile
1983 - 2005
New Jersey
157 Posts

Good job Creanada, I'm glad we are being helpful, that's what we want to do. keep up the good work. Smile
Evan
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Evan
I learned from Dante King's Fanning Tutorial, give it a try. It should help you out with a lot of your questions.

Evan
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Quote:
On 2003-05-04 12:02, Creanada wrote:
...now I can thumb fan the first half evenly but then I just end up with a clump at the end...
A little less pressure from your thumb (still evenly applied, but a lighter touch) should clear that up. Congratulations.
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Pleeeeeeeeeeease, Don't forget try using the fanning podwer.Smile You won't regret it.

If you are not sure to buy it, next time you visit a magic shop ask them to let you try some on your cards. They might even have a deck that you can use.

Mago Mai
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
I am sure fanning powder will be helpful. BUT I think it's better to be able to do it without powder first.

That way if someone would want you to do a fan with their deck you should be able to do it, no matter of quality + powder or not.
But if you only had practiced with powder, you won't have as easy to do a goodlooking fan with a deck without powder.

Get my point? Smile
Jonatan Bank
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
JonatanB,

I respectfully disagree. The powder doesn't fan the cards for you. It lets you get used to success. You still have to find your pivot, and fluidly move your thumb. Once you get used to the right pressure and finger mechanics, you can adapt to older decks. Keep at it Creanada, and one day your fans will be as beautiful as mine (See image at left).
-Josh
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Justin McWilliams
View Profile
1983 - 2005
New Jersey
157 Posts

Josh, first I must say lovely fan, must have spent years working on it. All humor set aside now, I don't think there is a right nor wrong way to learn to do a fan, powder or with out. It seems to be a matter of preference.

P.S. Josh I love the avatar, very unique indeed.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Justin,
Of course you're right. But knowing what you do now, think of how frustrating it would be trying to learn on an old plastic coated deck. Why not take it one step easier? I still think your fingers would learn what they needed to.

Can you fan with the cast?
-Josh
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
Just keep practicing there are fans and flourishes that take months and many hours of practice. I'm still working on my one hand shuffle. I've been working on it for 2 months and is still pretty rough. Just keep working on it. Smile
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Help! Can't get fanning powder in the UK! Apparently it's Zinc Stearate which is unavailable (banned?) in the UK!

Any ideas? Smile
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Fanning? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL