The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Is all this coin magic necessary? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
K_B_G
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of K_B_G
Hi guys.

I am a pretty profficient coin worker but I hardly use coins in my performance for some reason. I do a one coin flurry and that's about it, coin under watch etc... I am thinking I might not perform coin work at all. The raven seems to me to be the best coin effect possible in laymans terms. I honestly think there are only a few coins effects that remain powerful. The old plucking coins from the air has meaning and is where it started, but moving 4 coins from one hand to another... I mean who cares? Plenty of coin magic is just plain boring and I see many magicians trying to build elaborate presentations around pretty lame meanigless routines. Coins are now also perceived as having a low value in society and I guess magic is probably the only value you can add to them now. I might be stepping on toes here but I want to stir up some debate.

What are your ideas, what coin effects stand out from the rest. I think some good productions vanishes, hanging coins, spellbound, coin bite and shadow matrix and garcias coins across are the only powerful ones I can honestly think of. I think a magician only really needs 5 solid coin effects for a lifetime of performance. However coin work is fun to practice, and a change from those *** cards SmileI'd like to hear what coin work you honestly perform regulary with passion.

Thanks,

Kyle
aqmagish20
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of aqmagish20
I regularly perform hopping halves, scotch and soda and three fly, all with dollar size coins. I know the purist sleight of handers might not like that they are all gaffed but, I like it. I have also applied story lines that appear to get good responses. At the end of the day however, people always say, "can you show me that rubber band thing again"
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Different strokes. . .
What would Wavy do?
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
A fair amount of the coin routines I see don't look magical. But most routines can be made to look very magical. There's nothing wrong with 3 fly, coins across, scotch and soda effects. It's how you present them that make the difference.

I have to laugh when I read "Plenty of coin magic is just plain boring" because that's how I feel about 75% (and that's being generous) of card magic. Smile
My guess is you've become jaded about coin magic because you've seen too many bad performances or perhaps because you haven't seen enough good performances. OR, maybe you're just not a huge fan of coin magic to begin with (and that's cool). Like I've mentioned, I'm that way with cards and I'll admit that probably taints my attitude towards most card effects.

Fortunately I live and breathe coins and over the years I've seen some beautiful examples that keep me a believer. I humbly submit this clip as but one example of how coins DO look magical when performed well by a competant performer.

(originally posted a few days ago by Qureyoon):
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DrerCBHYff0
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Quote:
On 2009-01-16 07:46, K_B_G wrote:
Hi guys.

I am a pretty profficient coin worker but I hardly use coins in my performance for some reason. I do a one coin flurry and that's about it, coin under watch etc... I am thinking I might not perform coin work at all. The raven seems to me to be the best coin effect possible in laymans terms. I honestly think there are only a few coins effects that remain powerful. The old plucking coins from the air has meaning and is where it started, but moving 4 coins from one hand to another... I mean who cares? Plenty of coin magic is just plain boring and I see many magicians trying to build elaborate presentations around pretty lame meanigless routines. Coins are now also perceived as having a low value in society and I guess magic is probably the only value you can add to them now. I might be stepping on toes here but I want to stir up some debate.

What are your ideas, what coin effects stand out from the rest. I think some good productions vanishes, hanging coins, spellbound, coin bite and shadow matrix and garcias coins across are the only powerful ones I can honestly think of. I think a magician only really needs 5 solid coin effects for a lifetime of performance. However coin work is fun to practice, and a change from those *** cards SmileI'd like to hear what coin work you honestly perform regulary with passion.

Thanks,

Kyle


Well I guess coin magic is not your passion or you do not have different coins effect to perform;if you say that the raven seems the best coin effect for you that right there tell me why you are asking the question, the raven is a boring one second long trick of course people like it,but since that is the one you perform the more you are fed up and bored with it and now you think coin magic is about that.

well you are plain Wrong.

what do you think Dave Roth,Curtis Kam,Giacomo Bertini,Kainoa H,Eric Jones,Myself and a buch of other coin workers think about this?,i know,that is what you want to know,so let's wait and read what some of them think.

I could think the same thing about card magic if all I do is red hot mama and the 21 cards trick or even close up magic in general; but it is all about variety.

Dave Roth does a complete act just using coins and the audience goes wild and wanting more.

my two cents for now.

P.S.
Coins are now also perceived as having a low value in society

I guess you perseive it that way; because whenever I show my coins to the audience, people are amuse of them and want to touch them; I guess you know something I do not know yet about coin magic; I am willing to learn though.
narcoleptic_insomniac
View Profile
Regular user
Kenosha, WI
140 Posts

Profile of narcoleptic_insomniac
Quote:
On 2009-01-16 08:48, agent61 wrote:

I have to laugh when I read "Plenty of coin magic is just plain boring" because that's how I feel about 75% (and that's being generous) of card magic. Smile
My guess is you've become jaded about coin magic because you've seen too many bad performances or perhaps because you haven't seen enough good performances. OR, maybe you're just not a huge fan of coin magic to begin with (and that's cool).



My sentiments exactly (especially the bit about card magic : - P ). I agree, anyone who thinks that "coin magic is boring" probably hasn't had the opportunity to see many fresh, novel, well performed routines... that, or well they may just hate coins. I also agree that excellent routines can be ruined by a poor performance; similarly, seemingly terrible routines can seem amazing in the right hands...

Saying that "coin magic is boring" is like saying that "all piano music is boring"... either you can't stand the sound of a piano, or you've just never had the opportunity to see a great performer play an Etude by Chopin, Liszt, or Rachmaninov for you live ^_^

Regards,
Kyle
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
758 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Quote:
On 2009-01-16 07:46, K_B_G wrote:

Plenty of coin magic is just plain boring and I see many magicians trying to build elaborate presentations around pretty lame meanigless routines.


Writing this on THIS forum.... I admit you have some b***s Smile

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
I think this has potential to be a great thread...

Personally, coins are just a vehicle to tell a great story which incorporates some "moments of wonder". The stories could use cards, rubber bands, dice, whatever - if it's entertaining, it doesn't matter.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
[sniff, sniff] smellls like. . .[sniff, sniff]. . . troll. . .
What would Wavy do?
qureyoon
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
266 Posts

Profile of qureyoon
If this is boring for you http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......rum=3&15

Then you have no hope Smile

I mean that routine is just plain meaningless too Smile
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1417 Posts

Profile of feher
Quote:
On 2009-01-16 07:46, K_B_G wrote:
Hi guys.

I am a pretty profficient coin worker but I hardly use coins in my performance for some reason. I do a one coin flurry and that's about it, coin under watch etc... I am thinking I might not perform coin work at all. The raven seems to me to be the best coin effect possible in laymans terms. I honestly think there are only a few coins effects that remain powerful. The old plucking coins from the air has meaning and is where it started, but moving 4 coins from one hand to another... I mean who cares? Plenty of coin magic is just plain boring and I see many magicians trying to build elaborate presentations around pretty lame meanigless routines. Coins are now also perceived as having a low value in society and I guess magic is probably the only value you can add to them now. I might be stepping on toes here but I want to stir up some debate.

What are your ideas, what coin effects stand out from the rest. I think some good productions vanishes, hanging coins, spellbound, coin bite and shadow matrix and garcias coins across are the only powerful ones I can honestly think of. I think a magician only really needs 5 solid coin effects for a lifetime of performance. However coin work is fun to practice, and a change from those *** cards SmileI'd like to hear what coin work you honestly perform regulary with passion.

Thanks,

Kyle

OK you start out by saying coin magic is boring but at the end you state Vanishs,productions,coins across,spellbound, matrix,hanging coins are the only powerful ones,.... the only thing your missing is penatrations and you pretty much hit everything we do with coins to entertain people....lol
I think you really like coins you just want to start a debate
The Captain
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2942 Posts

Profile of fonda57
You don't like coins, don't do coins. I, however, do like coins, and I believe they look very magical in my hands. So I'm sticking with coins.
I j
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8710 Posts

Profile of Mb217
In the new way at dealing with such pointed debates, ushered in so elequently by our new President, Barak Obama, I simply say with a smile, thanks for your views...Next question? Smile

Well, it worked for Obama rather well. No need to tussle about all this in the muck & mire. To each his own and enjoyment is relative.

Uhhhh, next question? Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
I think that people allow the thinking of others to effect their own opinions too much. That being said, let me tell you what I think...

Also, I remember something that Andrew Wimhurst said about coin magic that rang pretty true. "In coin magic, there are a handful of really strong plots; and the rest are just lame variations". Card magic is subject to this as well, but coin magic moreso.
Izz
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
77 Posts

Profile of Izz
Was trying to think how to put it tactfully without becoming overly abrasive ... now I don't have to Smile

"To each his own and enjoyment is relative." mb217 ... well said Smile
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1993 Posts

Profile of puggo
Agent 61 and many others make good points, especially in regard to entertainment value. I'm not much of a coin guy - yet (but I'm working on it!). The magician I work with is. He does coins across, 3 fly etc. but the one I really like to watch, is his take on Tim Feher's (I think) Grandma's purse. It really is a magical story.
Perhaps K_B_G has seen a lot of so-so flurries dressed up as routines?
Dan & Dave Buck are awesome card guys, who seem like top blokes as well, but I'd rather watch Bill Malone do a simpler trick, with his strong presentation.
I am lucky to have seen enough fantastic coin work to believe in its huge entertainment potential, but even a great routine needs a strong performer.
Now pass me that coin..!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27096 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How can one be proficient without learning what works for ones audiences?

On the other side I find most tricks tiresome in themselves and so put a focus on how they are presented and then the audience reaction to the material. It's all about them anyway.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
A little culture and history can go a long way with magic. I'm sure if you learned and performed a few coin tricks you can get the same, if not better, reactions from the audience. I agree with what fonda57 has stated though.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I think the real problem is across the board in magic! Be it coins, cards, rope, sponge balls, C&B etc etc.... There is more crap being shown via the internet and/or by people that have not taken the time to learn BEYOND the mechanics of a trick (framing, routing, patter, theory etc.) before rushing out to WOW their friends and family!

Now, as for coin work being boring? Have you seen the Spellbound that was posted recently around here? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

There are those who say that a 10, 20, 30, 60 min. bit needs to be mixed or it will bore the audience! I don't think so! Just going off Mano's list , I can watch these guys go on and on with just coins! There are card guys that I find thoroughly entertaining with nothing more than a deck of 52!

Whatever your vehicle of choice, LEARN IT, LOVE IT, ENJOY IT and PRESENT it WELL! Give each sleight, trick or routine the time and dedication it deserves BEFORE running out to try impressing someone! Hopefully we'll begin to see more great magic that captivates and entertains rather than tricks, fools or God forbid, BORES our prospective audience!

Just my personal thoughts on the matter, I could be wrong!

Mick
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4840 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I Here some people say " This prop is boreing Or That Prop is boreing" But be it coins cards or whatever, It's not the Prop that makes the Magic! It's The MAGIC that makes the Prop! As the old masters used to say " It's not what you do it's HOW you do it! " If you think if this where realy MAGIC how would it look! And then you try to get as close as Possable than you can make it FUN!
David Neighbors



The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Is all this coin magic necessary? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL