The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thoughts on Mental Yarn (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Guys

I know that there have been many post on this effect already and I have been reading them (The ones I could find) with great interest.

I have had this one in the draw for a while and have only recently got around to putting together some ideas for a presentation. Now like most of you I am not a fan of the odd / even idea, therefore I have the following question/idea and would really appreciate your suggestions/thoughts. ( I apologise if this has already been mentioned in a post, but I didn't see it anywhere)

Do you think that instead of asking the person to think of an odd or even number, it would perhaps be better to ask them to simply mentaly think of a number from 1 - 10

When they have done this, pull out the numbered list and hold it in front of the spectator and then ask them to read (to themselves) the word/description next to to their thought of number. (Quickly but casually put the list away)

Now bring out the second list and patter about the word association bit and read out the list.

From here ask them to imagine themselves holding the object and placing it next to their hearts (Usually if its a knife they will have a clenched fist and if its a ball of yarn they will have a softer more open hold) However to be on the safe side you can apply a Derren Brown sort of application where you ask them a question that is totally opposite to what you think the item is e.g. if you think its the knife perhaps say something like I sense your thinking of something soft aren't you? they will usually say no. You then say what! your not thinking of a pillow? Oh I guess that's because your thinking of a knife (I should point out that while all this has been going on you are miming drawing for part of the preformance and then with timing you start to really draw and then as you call out the knife you turn over the business card with a drawing of it) Of course if they say yes to soft then you know it is the soft yellow ball of yarn.

I know these ideas are still in the work in progress stage, and therefore I would really like be greatful if you would share your suggestions and perhaps ideas.

I have one other question, how do you handle a situation if somebody can't grasp the idea of associating one word/phrase to another.

Thank you in advance for all your help
knibby
View Profile
New user
Liverpool, England
52 Posts

Profile of knibby
I don't own this effect I'm afraid. However, a question such as 'your not thinking of something soft are you?' worded properly the question will sound ambigious. If the answer's no - 'I didn't think so, which is why I drew a...' or if the answer is yes ' I thought so which is why I drew a...' I'm sure your familiar idea if you perform mentalism.

In answer to your other question concerning whether or not they will grasp the concept, simple re-wroding I suppose will do the trick. 'think of a word that reminds you of that one' . that's all I copuld come up with at the moment.

Sorry if I wasn't much help.
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
You should be discussing this in the Inner Thoughts section.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks Knibby, yes I agree with you, that's the sort of wording I am trying to put together without dragging the patter on for to long.

Jim, I take your point and will re-post in the Inner Thoughts Section.

Please keep your suggestions coming.

Thanks
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
I have some thoughts are using some psychological influence for some preamble displays of mind-reading in my "Ponderings" ebook. It is called "The PC Principle". This can be applied to many effects.

Sean
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Sean

Thanks for the suggestion, sounds like a good ebook. Is it available through lybrary.com or do you sell it through another site.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
Both!

Sean
nboisen
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of nboisen
For one spectator, definitely skip the odd-even bit and do as you suggest.

For two spectators, you can use the odd-even ruse to "make sure you don't both select the same word."

You can also easily make up your own lists.
Wraparound
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Wraparound
Why skip the odd even bit?
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2085 Posts

Profile of gabelson
If I have two specs, I will say to one:
"Think of odd or even... not a number, just the WORD 'odd' or 'even'. (I place sleight emphasis on the word 'even', and always say it second).
I then say, "Don't change your mind, and tell me the truth: You were thinking of the word 'odd', weren't you?"

At least 90% of the time, they will say 'odd'. Try it!
wordSMITH
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of wordSMITH
Gabelson, that's really nice. I'll have to give that a try.

Most of the time, I perform this with two spectators, so use the odd-even ruse that nboisen mentions. I saw Michael Murray perform this at MagicBox just before I bought it - and find myself enjoying doing that myself.
Wraparound
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Wraparound
Gabelson that's a great tip, thanks for sharing.
nboisen
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of nboisen
Why skip it with when working with one spectator?

Here are a few good reasons…

1. It is unnecessary, since you can make the needed distinction with a well phrased pseudo question as truesoldier points out in his original post.

2. It clearly cuts the number of choices open to the spectator in half.

3. It is an unimpressive 50/50 guess or psych force which adds little to (and possibly distracts from) the main effect of divining a nearly random thought.

4. It is somewhat incongruous with the main effect. If I can truly divine a nearly random thought, why would you bother with the facile and almost comical guess of odd/even?

5. It hints towards the method, providing a possible clue to a clever or observant spectator.

6. Did I mention that it is unnecessary?

This is just how I see it. I try to give this a serious presentation and the odd/even bit just doesn’t fit for me. Others, who use this in a more light or comical manner, may find that the odd/even gambit suits their style of presentation.

For multiple spectators, however, I feel this makes sense and is even necessary to ensure that both spectators don’t end up with the same thought (unless, of course, that is your intention, as in a “psychic influence” type of presentation). But even for multiple spectators, it is best if you do NOT attempt to determine (and clearly do NOT know) which alternative (odd or even) each spectator has chosen. Otherwise you again run into some of the issues I mentioned above, i.e., reducing the number of choices, providing a clue, etc.

For a continuation of this discussion, I would suggest we move to:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=82&4
DonEduardo
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of DonEduardo
I bought this a few weeks ago and have performed it 4 times. For one spectator, the odd-even needs to go. I hit three out of the four times, but the spectators were not impressed, each saying something to the effect of, "Well, you cut it in half right away. After that you probably did something else to eliminate a few more and probably ended up with a 50-50 chance of getting it." I haven't tried with two spectators but the odd-even should be good in that instance. Actually adding to the impact I think. I'm looking more to asking a single question at the end, like "you aren't thinking of something soft are you?" Yes, take the hit. No, "Good, who'd want a soft (fill in the blank).
Four Jakes
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Four Jakes
For the use of odd and even I try to use their surroundings to give me a clue as to what they are thinking, for instance, I was in the mall early and one of the shop keepers was filling out his morning paperwork and I asked him and his co-worker if I could have a few moments, and asked him to think of "odd or even." Because he wants to get all of his numbers to be "even" in his paperwork, I chose even...and I was right. I played it off that it was only a 50/50 chance, and not that impressive. From there I asked him to think of a even number from one to ten and then went into the material. What I think is so powerful is that from that point on they don't speak or give me any clue as to what they are thinking until the reveal. They have given no information at all by the time the reveal takes place and I think that is what "hits" so hard. I think if we focus on that, and produce space between the two, the trick becomes stronger.Just my four cents.
DonEduardo
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of DonEduardo
I thought along those lines initially. So I chose to guess Even each time and was right 3 out of 4 times. But it didn't gain me any points. They all looked at me, "So what?". And if I got it wrong, wow what a weak mentalist. Even with a 50-50 chance he still gets it wrong. I haven't performed this again since, but I'm thinking I'd rather be wrong in naming their abstract thought at the end than to fail so miserably early on and gain very little credibility if I happen to get it right. And as mentioned somewhere else, this is not a sure fire trick anyway. I does fail sometimes even if you get the odd/even up front.
Four Jakes
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Four Jakes
Who are these cynical misanthropes you are performing for. Smile j/k - I don't think it is miserable failure if you get it wrong. Try some self affiancing humor, even if you fail it can definitely work in your favor with something like "Not that impressive either way, it is only a 50/50 shot. Say, since you like even/odd numbers so much pick one from 1-10..." Then it is not even associated with the trick, it is seen only as an icebreaker. But, that works for me, isn't going to work for everyone I guess.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thoughts on Mental Yarn (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL