The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic for the blind? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Thanks! Delighted that it was available on Kindle...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Pop, I just ordered your book. Delighted that it is available from amazon.de!

You rule, Pop!

(Of course, you often beg the question. But irregardless....)
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On 2012-09-16 12:46, stoneunhinged wrote:
Pop, I just ordered your book. Delighted that it is available from amazon.de!

You rule, Pop!

(Of course, you often beg the question. But irregardless....)

:) If I was going to beg the question with some sort of circular reasoning then surely I would have said so, I am sure that you trust me at least that much...therefore your argument is without merit. Irregardless ad infinitum.

Halb zog sie ihn, halb sank er hin.

I don't even know what I am saying anymore. You brought me here with your cruel charges...

Still, I hope you like the book. Thanks!
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
If this post interests you, then I challenge you to seek out the blind with some of these effects !!!
Call your local association for the blind and offer your services.
That's what I'm going to do.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
By coincidence, there are a few new posts in the "New to Magic" section, specifically dealing with this topic!!! Lynn
aalexander
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of aalexander
Sometime last year I came across an effect that a magician had designed for a deaf person that he knew as a gift. It involved aroma/taste and touch, and at the time I thought it was really clever and interesting. I don't recall the name, but if anyone's interested they can PM me and I'll search for it on the backup I made of my old hard drive.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On 2012-10-02 18:35, aalexander wrote:
Sometime last year I came across an effect that a magician had designed for a deaf person that he knew as a gift. It involved aroma/taste and touch, and at the time I thought it was really clever and interesting. I don't recall the name, but if anyone's interested they can PM me and I'll search for it on the backup I made of my old hard drive.

Taste Conditions by Morgan Strebler ?
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S9232
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
I have looked at tons of tricks and picked a dozen or so that I can do in the hands and/or minds of a blind person.
My problem now is how to convert these basic tricks from a ta-da moment, into a magical event for a blind person. How many tricks to perform? In what order? Do I write a script verbatim or just an outline and ad lib? I have never done this & I need help.
I need the help of a teacher to help me routine and script it.

If this interests you or if you know someone please Email me at edshern@gmail.com. Would you charge by the hour or set price for the project.

THANK YOU,
Ed Shernoff
edshern@gmail.com
magicdano
View Profile
Regular user
Danny Habel
144 Posts

Profile of magicdano
I believe it was at Magic Live in Las Vegas (2011) that a complete show was devoted to Blind Magic.
Can any body help me out with what those tricks were and/or some detail about them? I wish to perform for a blind friend.
MagicDano@aol.com
Josh Burch
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Hey y'all, I know this is a pretty old thread and that the topic has come up a few times over the years. I have enjoyed reading all of these responses. This is the list of tricks I would suggest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0K4qDiD-W0
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
There is a routine by Pen and Teller, where the participant is "blinded" and they use some linking rings to make the illusion (to the participant) that the ring passes trhu their arm, for example.

Is on youtube, I imagine that it would work with someone blind.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2021, weirdwizardx wrote:
There is a routine by Pen and Teller, where the participant is "blinded" and they use some linking rings to make the illusion (to the participant) that the ring passes trhu their arm, for example.

I think that bit is for the audience. They deceive a blindfolded victim by doing things only the audience sees.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I created a one-way punch deck, which I explained on secret sessions. I taught a blind child how to use it. The kids at his blind school were amazing. For example, the blind kids played football, you know soccer, with a bell inside it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2021, weirdwizardx wrote:

I think it would be problematic. It would look like you were picking on the blind person, making a fool of him. He will not be able to open his eyes and "see" the end result. This routine is based on the spectator's preconceptions gained from when his eyes are open.

Sponge balls are also difficult. Blind people will not see the moves that lead up to putting the balls in his hand, so he/she will want to check. They don't want to be "shortchanged."
balbec
View Profile
New user
few
62 Posts

Profile of balbec
Slydini’s Knotted Silks may be worth trying
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2021, balbec wrote:
Slydini’s Knotted Silks may be worth trying

How would you present it to a blind person? He won't see the knot dissolve.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
This thread is a year old now and I would like to check it from a different point of view... what tricks would you teach a blind teenager? both for seeing and blind audiences. Things that he or she could do without an assistant (with an assistant I'm thinking a two people code system)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Literary Nonsense, word magic, might fit the bill.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
“Just look down the road and tell me if you can see either of them."
"I see nobody on the road," said Alice.
"I only wish I had such eyes," the King remarked in a fretful tone. "To be able to see Nobody! And at such a distance too!"

Lewis Carroll Through the Looking-Glass

Word magic, is where language is manipulated as opposed to physical things to make nonsense appear to make sense.

The wonderful thing about Our Magic is the entirely irrational is apparently proved by entirely rational means.

As above so below.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
My daughter has braille Uno cards. I believe there are some mentalism tricks that use Uno cards.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Magic for the blind? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL