The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Question about my I.B.M performance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryn Williams
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Bryn Williams
Hi Folks,

As a new member to my local I.B.M ring, I am required to perform 3 tricks at our next meeting (thurs). I have chosen the effects I perform best and am most comfortable with, they are: Lit, Color Blind (by Matthew Johnson) and E.S.Perfect. Here is my question: because each of these effects requires a spectator from the audience to assist in the trick in some way, and because each effect is fairly short (less than 2 min each) should I ask for only one volunteer for all the effects or choose a different person for each effect. I know it sounds like a small detail, but I really want the performance to flow together and to make a good impression on the other members. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bryn
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Bryn,

I think doing tricks that involve the spectators is an excellent way to show your personality. If your Ring is very small, I wouldn't bother switching spectator assistants but if it's a larger group, I would say use a different helper for each. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine. Just remember, don't waste your time trying to fool them, spend your time entertaining them.

Mario
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
If your first spectator seems uncooperative or difficult or whatever, you could always replace him/her. But then you should probably replace the next one as well so as not to give the impression that the first one wasn't good enough.

You could always have two spectators come up to begin with and seat one on each side. Then you could alternate as the situation dictates. Would perhaps be helpful to have two people to whom you can give attention?

Disclaimer: I've never actually performed anything with an audience member myself. Just thinking out loud really. It is an interesting problem. One that I will have to face myself soon probably.

Sounds like you are a person who gives attention to important details like this. You will probably do quite well! Good luck!
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
If it's a timing/flow issue that you are worried about, you could call two people up at the beginning.

One trick for one person, next trick for the other, and finally something involving both.

just make sure not to totally ignore one person while you deal with the other.

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2009-01-20 11:59, Ben Train wrote:
If it's a timing/flow issue that you are worried about, you could call two people up at the beginning.

One trick for one person, next trick for the other, and finally something involving both.

just make sure not to totally ignore one person while you deal with the other.

Ben

Good idea. That's what I would suggest as well.

SEY
Bryn Williams
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Bryn Williams
Great suggestions, thank you so much gentlemen. Herdman14, that is such a great point about not trying to fool magicians but rather entertain them, I will certainly keep that in mind, thank you.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Bryn:

Nice to meet you!

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
Bryn Williams
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Bryn Williams
Right back at you, Bryn.

Bryn's of a feather should flock together.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 3:42am
------------------------------
Thanks for all your great suggestions folks, my performance went really well. I tried to focus on being entertaining and letting my personality come through my magic. The other members of the magic circle were very receptive and kind. By the way, I ended up using three different people for my performance... The first guy I got up just didn't seem to be very comfortable with the whole "Back and forth" thing I was trying to do so I thanked him and choose different people for the next effects. Thanks again.
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
It is been my experience that when you are doing a required performance for a club, members will go out of their way to assist you and make your day view a success. I would suggest using three different spectators which in the process of bringing them up at various times to help will slow things down for you. Don't go so fast that you get ahead of yourself as I have seen many in similar situations do. Write out your script for each trick and practice/practice/practice/practice until you can't get it wrong.

Good luck and enjoy your performance!!!

Walking Bob in Iowa
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Ha. Didn't make the connection straight away.

I got to see Bryn's performance tonight and it indeed went quite well.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Bryn Williams
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Bryn Williams
Thanks Andrew, I enjoyed your performance as well... I especially enjoyed the coin routine, very smooth.
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
Bryn,

I am honoured that you used Color Blind in your performance. I am glad it went well!

Cheers,

MJ
Bryn Williams
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Bryn Williams
Thanks Matthew,
Color Blind is one of my all-time favorite effects, I use it all the time and I love how blown away people are by it. The routine you've put together is truly brilliant, and I'm honored to use it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Question about my I.B.M performance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL