The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ringtone by Adam Grace (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Todd Bernard
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Todd Bernard
Quote:
On 2009-02-01 13:08, MarvinSanRemo wrote:
In this digital era, it seems many ideas get ripped from the internet and converted to magic so someone can make a few bucks. This is simply another example of this process. Of course, the worth of the effect will be the ideas and subtleties that are discussed to turn a "prank dial" into a lasting magical impression. That being said, I find it slightly uncomfortable that someone is willing to "market" this effect, being that it is freely available on the internet, and no work went into the creation of the "prank dial" by the creator. I guess in some regard, the creator realized the possibilities of making this into a magical effect. However, like Nathan Pain pointed out, making the ring tone stick would be magical Smile PM me your phone number and I will amaze you Smile Just my thoughts.

First, I have nothing personally against Adam Grace. I have never met him, or talked with him. But, I fully agree with the above post. I purchased two previous effects of Adam Grace's before I knew that I would no longer purchase anything from him. His demo's are never very clear and sometimes even borderline on false advertising. I was not impressed with Glass, and was very disappointed with Frozen.

Once again, the demo doesn't show an actual performance of it. I guess it's one of those tricks that's not good enough to show to magicians who will in return figure out the method by simply watching it fully performed. I made a commitment that in 2009 I would change the way I bought magic. One of the ways was to stay clear away from these types of effects flooding the market.

Again, no personal offence meant to Adam Grace as a person.
hikeeba
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of hikeeba
Quote:
If you could actually, truly, change their Ring tone, this would sell for $1000 or more. You can't do that. There's a gimmick. It's an illusion.

I know their tone is not changing, but saying "You change their phone back to the original ring tone they had" implies it does. Adam carefully stated in the E forum that afterwards "their phone returns to normal", which doesn't imply the phone's ringtone has ever changed. (You could be returning other settings back to normal.)

(Hmmm...$29? Interesting, since on the forum Adam initially thought it was $39. At the dinner Brad asked us what we would pay for such a thing and the consensus was $29....maybe we should have said $19? (I stayed out of it, since the limitation of one song at a time is a deal breaker to me.))
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'll go back to the ThumbT ( I fell in love with one in 1964 at the age of 5 ). If I said "you take there one and change it into a hundred and then you change it back to a one" would I be telling the truth? Sure. Did their one TRULY change into a hundred? Of course not.

As far as price...I think ThumbT should sell for $100, so I'm not a good person to ask about the price of professional magic props. I'm not sure what E will sell it for. $29.95 seems to be the price of most things these days, so I picked that. If I came up with this it would be allot more than what they'll charge.

And for one song ( unless you want to get extra gimmicks ) I don't perform the same effect more than once. After the first time, people start to look for methods. Astonish them and move onto the next miracle.

I'm not trying to convince folks to get this. As with most things I use, I'd rather as few people as possible used them. I LOVE Energy Bill, and Branded, but would be happy if no one in my area used them.

I didn't post anything the first couple years of the Café. I never understood why folks would talk about what they use. Then....I got some things based on folks raving about it and now I do the same thing in passing along my experiences.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Happy 50th Chris.Whatever the month.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-02-01 15:02, cardbiker wrote:
Happy 50th Chris.Whatever the month.

Hey, I'm 50 this month. I look 66, feel like 24.

Thanks very much!

hikeeba
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of hikeeba
Quote:
As far as price...I think ThumbT should sell for $100.

I'm not trying to convince folks to get this.

I got some things based on folks raving about it and now I do the same thing in passing along my experiences.

Cost and value are often different things. For example, the invisible deck has provided far more value than it cost.

I really appreciate you offering your experiences on these things, and I figure you're not on commission.

I think my concern is the hype & marketing that surround a release. For instance, I looked back at the thread for "Glass" - extremely positive - you'd think it was the best purchase you could make. But then you get it and you're wondering what the heck these people were talking about. Gotta go with Todd on this one.
If I bought this and found out it's just a little programmable greeting card eprom type thing with a tiny speaker you hide behind the phone, I'd be very disappointed.

Like a smaller version of this http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/a5bf/ (without the T-shirt)
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I just want to clarify my original post...I wasn't really implying anything about Ringtone...I was just kind of refuting why the original poster thought that changing it back was so amazing...I may get this...I may have a really cool way to use it...it may be the coolest thing since sliced bread...

No offense intended to anyone...

Nathan
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I get nothing for sharing my thoughts on it. Jason is a friend and if something comes along that he thinks will be applicable to what I do, he'll share it. I'm asked for nothing in return, otherwise, I'd say no. If it ends up being something that I feel lives up to the claims, that I tested out and then will use, I'll talk about it.

Over the years, there have been things I didn't like and when I said so, the creator or friends of the creator would go after me. lol. Doesn't bother me a bit. I hate getting burned and if I can help someone else avoid it, I do.

Same thing happens when I love something. Folks wonder if I work for a certain shop, do I get paid to 'hype' a product, etc. When you post as much as I do, it comes with the territory.

I once posted things for sale on the Café and the Café mods deleted them and wrote me saying I was a dealer because I listed too much stuff ( it was only about 10 items ). Now I see actual dealers post 30 items and nothing is done. lol.

I don't have any of Adam's other releases, so I don't have this to compare them to.

Some folks may get this and be mad about the gimmick and then be mad at me. Such is life. I used it, it worked better than I expected and I think the DVD went above and beyond explaining everything.

Years ago I turned a fellow onto the Floating Bill. He was mad at me because he paid xxx dollars for a "stupid string". Was he right? Sure. That's all it really is. But...in the right hands....you get to do it on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson;-)

Anyone feeling uneasy about Ringtone, don't get it. We all work hard for our money and want it to be well spent.

Or wait until reviews start to come in. Make sure you trust the reviewer. Some guys slam things they don't have. Some slam things without performing with it first.

Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2009-02-01 14:17, hikeeba wrote:
Quote:
You change their phone back to the original ring tone they had.

But does their ring tone actually change or are you just hitting "mute", "silent mode", turning the volume down, etc to let the gimmick play.
And from what I was told the gimmick only handles one song at a time, so how do you handle a "do it again with a different tone"?

Maybe you get 2 of the Gimmicks in the box

Or it might be possible that the Gimmick can play more than one tune!

It is a shame that Adam always sells via E as I am in the UK and until they review the Rip Off shipping charges ($25 to ship a single DVD) then I won’t be buying any thing from them in the near future.
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
"
If it was a ThumbT we were talking about, folks say "ya, but can you change their bill from a one to a hundred and let them keep the hundred?"

When you say no, they pass on the effect. lol.
"

For the folks who love the idea of real magic... they should seriously hand out the hundred dollar bill for their dedication in magic. After all, real magic does come with some sort of sacrifice!!
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
Glass is an amazing effect!
Just don't use glass...

Use the cellophane on your card box.
There, enough said.

Adam Grace is a cool guy, ringtone just isn't for me!
nick13245
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of nick13245
I just hope this product doesn't violate any FCC regulations. I'm an engineer, and I know how I'd do it Smile
Thord
View Profile
New user
Sweden
11 Posts

Profile of Thord
One one of the trailers for ringtone, if you watch it in slowmo, you can see a red dot on the the girls iPhone meaning its gone into mute. and the gimmick could just be a miniature pair of speakers plugged into an iPod that he has in his chest-pocket... ive tried that, and it looked pretty good. just in front of the mirror though, if id get caught with it, people would just think I'm sad.

so for the sake of it, I hope this isn't the method Smile

cheers.
Pick a card..., NOT that one!
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Why were you watching the demo in slow motion?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-02-07 18:11, Thord wrote:

and the gimmick could just be a miniature pair of speakers plugged into an iPod that he has in his chest-pocket...

That's not the gimmick. It's so much simpler than that.

Todd Bernard
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Todd Bernard
I don't believe that is the method. There is a much more easier way to perform it. I don't know what Adam's method is, but I'd bet my life that the concept he uses is very well known and used for other such things. In this age of tecnology, changing someone's ringtone just doesn't sound that impressive to me. Of course you have to mute their phone. You don't want two ringtones going off at the same time. That would be even less impressive.(lol)
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
Come on. Really? Slow Motion? If you really want it so bad then buy it when it comes out. Try not to expose things? And if that is the method, whats so wrong with it? If you can do it and get away with it like Chris said, it could be the worst method for all I care. As long as the spectator gets the reactions like Chris has, I don't see a problem at all.
Todd Bernard
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Todd Bernard
What's so wrong with watching demo's in slow motion? I think he just wants to make sure it's not some lame trick. I watch demo's in slow motion to once in a while. If creator's want to choose to edit their demo's, people are certainly allowed to watch them in slow motion.Smile
Adam Grace
View Profile
V.I.P.
LA, CA
149 Posts

Profile of Adam Grace
The truth is... I look way better in slow motion!!!

Hi folks. This is my very favorite time of the year. My trick is about to come out, I have my bulletproof vest on, and I'm ready for my beat down.

Just kidding... you know.

WOW... someone didn't like GLASS? That's a shocker.

Did I ever tell you guys about the phone call I got right after Glass came out. Someone who was very disappointed with GLASS left me a message on my cell phone. (I don't know how they got my phone number)

Here's how it went:
"Adam Grace, if this is the Adam Grace who put out that piece of s#$t trick GLASS... Adam I f!@#$%g hate this trick. It is stupid and YOU are stupid for inventing it. I hate it hate it hate it hate and I hate you for wasting my time and money!!! F!@#$ you buddy!"

I just remember thinking, "I've finally made it."

True story.

Magicians are always a passionate group and I appreciate that quality. Passion drives us to be better.

That being said, I'm very proud of Ringtone. It's a routine that I've been performing for a few years with great success. When I work the Magic Castle close-up room I usually close with it. It's a great street trick and a great parlor trick.

Will everyone love it? Nope.

Will I get another phone call? One can only hope...

Quote:
On 2009-02-01 13:08, MarvinSanRemo wrote:
In this digital era, it seems many ideas get ripped from the internet and converted to magic so someone can make a few bucks. This is simply another example of this process. Of course, the worth of the effect will be the ideas and subtleties that are discussed to turn a "prank dial" into a lasting magical impression. That being said, I find it slightly uncomfortable that someone is willing to "market" this effect, being that it is freely available on the internet, and no work went into the creation of the "prank dial" by the creator. I guess in some regard, the creator realized the possibilities of making this into a magical effect. However, like Nathan Pain pointed out, making the ring tone stick would be magical Smile PM me your phone number and I will amaze you Smile Just my thoughts.

My friend... I had to google "prank dial" to find out what it was. I can assure you that Ringtone is completely different.

I didn't "rip this idea from the internet". I stole it from a Jamaican gypsy, killed her, and hid her body in my attic.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
I've just seen the demo...
it looks iteresting......
can't wait for the release....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ringtone by Adam Grace (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL