The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Warning about the Learned Pig site... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I just tried to access the Learned Pig, and it immediately went into crazy mode! Someone has apparently hacked them and it goes into trying to attack your computer. If anyone knows how to contact Marco to let him know, might want to do so, though I'm sure he's very much aware of the problem.
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
That only happens to me when I try to access the site through Google!

Try this link instead: http://www.thelearnedpig.com.pa/home.html

You shouldn't have any problem....
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:

I'm not so sure about that.

All you're doing by going around Google is avoiding the complimentary message from Google's crawlers that there's been malware identified as coming from the IP address that is the Learned Pig's.

Google's malware messages are quite dependable, which might indicate that there's something askew on the Learned Pig site.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2009-01-24 03:43, Cranial Fermentator wrote:
That only happens to me when I try to access the site through Google!

Try this link instead: http://www.thelearnedpig.com.pa/home.html

Just tested it using the link...No problemo!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Yes, the link will work fine, nobody said it wouldn't.
Hackers who place malware or trojan horses on a website wants to do anything to break the link, they want you to go to the site.

Try this:
1) go to Google and enter "The Learned Pig" into the search bar
2) hit search
3) observe the warning from Googles very advanced web crawler engine
4) do whatever you want upon reading the warning from Google regarding the Learned Pig IP address

Remember, this is Google issuing the warning to people about to click on a search result for "The Learned PIg", it's got nothing at all to do with the Learned PIg website issuing any sort of warning.

It's a warning, and it's yours to do with as you please.

If you want to know more about what the warning from Google means as it relates to "The Learned Pig" website, go here http://stopbadware.org/ and read all about it.
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
As a follow-up, my Avast malware went ballistic when I followed the above instructions. I will be avoiding TLP for the time being as it does appear to be infected with a Trojan.

(Iknow, Iknow... Trojans should prevent infection but...)
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
I don't really know much about it, but I'm pretty sure that the page that a Google search for Learned Pig Project brings you to is not the Learned Pig web site at all. Months ago, long before the Google warning ever went up, I tried accessing it through a search, but I was brought to a page with a totally different URL, and immediately a pop up window stated a download was about to begin. Luckily, I was able to navigate from the page before any damage was done. The link I provided is the definitely for the Learned Pig Project site. If you hit search through Google, you'll find you are lead to the address is intendyoseeyou.cn, which doesn't appear to be to have anything at all with the Learned Pig site. Is it possible that hackers were able to divert the Google search to a page of their own?
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
There's an awfully powerful effort to download an executable file from folks for whom English is obviously not a first language taking place when you link to The Learned Pig through Google, Yahoo, or Alta Vista.

The file that wants to force itself onto your computer is being passed off as some sort of "anti-virus" software, but I doubt very much that it's anything of the sort.

I use an Apple Mac, so .exe files don't worry me......but if I used a PC I'd stay as far away from linking to the Learned Pig through Google, Yahoo, or Alta Vista as I possibly could.

All the major search engines lead ones browser to a seriously deviant forced malware download.

Linking directly to The Learned Pig does seem to avoid this URL hi-jack, but as always........buyer beware!
Enzo
View Profile
Loyal user
CA
243 Posts

Profile of Enzo
I still get the google "reported attack site" warning. The first hit google gives looks like a fake URL indeed, since a DNS lookup shows that "thelearnedpig.com.pa" is IP 76.162.113.235, whereas the google hit forwards to 89.28.13.219.

Does anyone know the status of the site and whether they have contacted Google about the problem?
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Has this problem resolved itself?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm not getting any warnings when I visit the site.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan now living in the Florida panha
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
I also went to the url listed by "Cranial Fermentator" and I had no trouble at all getting to their website. Nothing triggered my AVAST anti-virus program.
Illusion and magic is the same, if it was possible to achieve the impossible by genuine powers then it wouldn’t be impossible and therefore it wouldn’t be magic. That’s why magic is an art; the art of creating the illusion of the impossible.
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Whatever was triggering a problematic response has apparently disappeared from the Learned Pig site.

There are some commercial "virus warning" web sites that will tell you that certain sites have been put on a list of potential attack sites, when it's not true at all. One of these is WOT. It was reporting that my museum site was hosting viruses. The server my site is on is scanned frequently for anything that might be problematic, at least once a day. Most viruses cannot be hosted on the server that I use anyway.

WOT's motivation for this was that they thought I had a commercial site, so they wanted me to pay roughly $500 for a "certificate" that would let their bot know that I wasn't distributing malware, etc. They haven't bothered me since I put a notice on the site that linked to another site that exposed their scam.

Whatever you do, though -- when you see a warning from any software company that says your computer is under attack and needs to be scanned and cleaned, do NOT allow their software to do it. This is the worst kind of malware. There is even one that looks almost exactly like the Microsoft security screen. Also do not subscribe to these "My fast PC" services and other PC speedup services you see advertised on the toob. They may make your computer run a little faster for a while, but if you don't pay them, they will make your computer act up.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
maharajademagia
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of maharajademagia
This is most unfortunate. Learned Pig is dead. But Thank Lybrary and it has survived.

When you visit their site: http://www.thelearnedpig.com.pa/home.html

This is what you see:
The Learned Pig Project: TLPP

The Learned Pig Project was started in September 1999 by Marko from Panama. Marko's idea was essentially to mimic the Project Gutenberg for magicians. Project Gutenberg's purpose is to digitize public domain books. The Learned Pig Project's goal is to digitize public domain magic books. When Marko started he had four books digitized: My Magic Life (Devant), Miracle Mongers (Houdini), The Lives of the Conjurers (Frost) and Behind the Scenes with the Mediums (Abbott). He would later add dozens more. In late 2011 Marko shut down the project due to security issues on his website.

To prevent the loss of this great resource Lybrary.com decided to purchase TLPP from Marko and continue to host it on their website. To get access to the magic ebooks, articles, sketches and tricks you will have to register a customer account at Lybrary.com and enable the magic newsletter. Once you do that you will see in the Tools section in your account a link to the TLPP.

Hope this is useful.
bigcheese
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
56 Posts

Profile of bigcheese
Thanks Maharajademagia. All the talk of malware made me remember when I stupidly fell victim to a fake Windows security warning. Long story but I was conned and accepted the on screen offer to 'clean' my PC. Of course after running a (bogus) scan dozens of problems were found and I was invited to pay to fix them. It was only a few dollars so I wasn't too worried. ironically it killed the computer and I had to reformat. (I did chargeback the fee though.)
aklesh
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of aklesh
When I try using the

http://www.thelearnedpig.com.pa/home.html

link I getOops! Google Chrome could not find http://www.thelearnedpig.com.pa Try reloading: www.­thelearnedpig.­com.­pa/­home.­html

When I do a google search I get

http://thelearnedpig.freeservers.com/ and while it takes me to what looks like the front page for them, there is no place to login and when you go to register a new account it takes you to the "Oops! Google Chrome could not find http://www.thelearnedpig.com.pa" page again. 8-(

Does anyone have a working link?
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
You need to go to Lybrary.com and set up an account, no cost. That will allow you to go to the TOOLS section to access the Learned Pig Project.

The original site was hacked and destroyed. Lybrary.com reset it up on their site and works well.

For other free PDF magic books go to Google Free eBooks, Victoria State Library - Alma Collection, & archive.org. You can start a PDF library of your own with some of the greatest books on magic you can find anywhere.

Pete
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
I joined up and was a bit disappointed to see that some of Markos original books are now missing from the archived site, whilst chris sells his copies in lybrary. The Jinx, for example! Only available by paying Chris.
Pah.
In fact I see no magazines in tlpp, only library.
So much for keeping it free and intact.
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1178 Posts

Profile of Chris
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2019, HeronsHorse wrote:
I joined up and was a bit disappointed to see that some of Markos original books are now missing from the archived site, whilst chris sells his copies in lybrary. The Jinx, for example! Only available by paying Chris.
Pah.
In fact I see no magazines in tlpp, only library.
So much for keeping it free and intact.

I do not sell any of Marko's digitizations. I digitized the Jinx way before Marko did and I am selling my digitization. What Marko sent me did not include a Jinx. I put up all of the ebooks Marko sent me. I can only make available what he provided to me.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Ah ok, my mistake. I had read in a couple of places listing the contents of the old site, that The Jinx and some other 'zines were there at one time. As the info goes that you hosted everything, it made sense that it meant, well, everything.
Apologies!
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Warning about the Learned Pig site... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL