The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Need Help With a Manipulation Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Hi,

I am currently working on a manipulation routine. I would like some people's thoughts on what I can improve on (other than getting better at the sleights)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMivgl7Pb_k

Thanks for the help

Matt
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
That was surprisingly good! especially for your young age, you have a great variety of work with the multiplying balls, the cards, the silk and cane... if anything, your sleights aren't the area that needs improvement, they were adequate!

where I think you need to improve is in pacing (6 minutes of manipulation that could have been fit into 3 minutes) and some parts should really be taken out, for example you introduce the jumbo card deck, then spend 30 seconds just waving a silk over it before effecting a simple color change that whole part shouldn't be used UNLESS you're going to do more effects with the jumbo deck.

and also work on a context - right now you're just going up and producing stuff out of thin air with no rhyme or reason. for example why do you have a bunch of silks waving around? maybe act like you've gotten hot or sweaty from doing your previous manipulations and you need to wipe your brow, so you get the silk and do this... then you need to point something out so you change it into a cane!

typically you want to avoid just reaching for a prop, using the prop for one effect, then putting it away. try to link the effects together some how!

also , your presentation was very un professional. your background should be a nice solid color instead of a messy hobby room (although it was cool that you have an arcade video game machine!) also, your dress should reflect your unique personality and shouldn't be just an old t-shirt.

anyways these are just some suggestions, you are really really great at the tough stuff (the sleights) and I look forward to your next video, please keep us posted!
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Thanks so much for the help!

I will definitely work on linking the effects together more.

As the backround and dress goes, well I was just posting the video to show everyone the routine. I will definitely be in a suit and have a nice backdrop to perform.

Thanks so much for the advice.

Matt
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
Matt,

First off this is good routine, but there are a few things you should think about taking out, for example:

After you make the first ball appear for silk put silk in a box or hat so when you turn the silk into the cane
it looks like it was the same silk taken out of box or hat.

Ball Manipulation was good just try not to move to fast, slow down a little to let the audience see what just happened before you surprise them with another ball.

The big deck of cards where you change the top card into another, there really seems to be no reason for it, it just doesn't fit.

Also when you do the 5 card vanish and reproduction, instead of trying to reach for the card and it's not there, just do a simple back and front palm to show hand empty but slowly to build it up and then produce the last card to the climax of the music.

To link this effect in with the other effects instead of doing the show of your hands opening and closing and producing one card, I think you should do a bird cage vanish move with all 5 cards palming the cards then do cards from mouth at this point.

Then take the 5 cards and toss them into the air and go into an applause cue, after that go to table or box and pick up the cards needed for your split fans, Also when you drop 1 card on the floor instead of kicking it up a producing 1 card try producing a fan of cards and at the same time (watching your angles) steal a stack of cards from a card clip under your jacket or from your box or hat.

To link the next effect with the last one, since your have a fan of cards in your hand already just reach out with your other hand and produce the stolen cards, then put them together and spring them, riffle palm a small amount of cards into left hand ( as many as you need) as you turn your body and make a fan in right hand, do a split fan and go in your single and perfect productions.

Also for that type of song the finale should be something like not 1 but 2 Fan to See's or A card to kabuki streamers could be nice, or even card to snow storm. (The snow storm I prefer because that's I use.)

Don't make the routine to long, 3 to 4 minutes is all you will need.

I Hope I wasn't to critical about it, I was trying to help you edit and link the effects together, to make the routine flow. Just remember, always have a reason to move your body and have reason to pick up an item or to set and item down, or just looks like your put things together for no reason at all. ( I hope this makes sense.)

If you have any questions just P.M. me and I'll be glad to help you

Best,
Jeff
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Thanks so much Jeff. That was very helpful. I am currently working on ways to make my routine better and I will definitely add some of your suggestions.

Thanks again,

Matt
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
HI matt,

I to wil say that you handled it all very well. I got that you were just showing off what you learned and that it was not a dress rehersal:)

any way I agree with the idea of slowing it down some. the music is fine and you can still slow it down with that music. One thought that I wanted to throw out to you is using hte jumbo cards. I think this is waht you coudl do.
do the top change (add some speed to it) then turn the whole thing into a card castle. this will gie yo teh beginging middle and ending to using the big cards. If I am not mistaken they make card castles with the bottom being a jumbo card. if not you coudl buy one then make your own using the jumbo card on the bottom then bridge size cards for the castle.

then you cold produce your first fan fromt he castle.

I will 2nd the idea of putting hte orange silk in the hat thus when you retrieve it to produce the cane it sells the idea to the audience same silk.

you could add a silk fountain or knots off silk routine with in what you are doing to add a bit more COLOR.

just soem thoughts
keep up the good work

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Thanks for the help sam,

That is a great idea with the card castle!

Thanks again,

Matt
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
You are welcome Matt, post your new card manipulation routine video when you got one.

Best,
Jeff
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
Ok, I am performing it in a SYM competition in March, so I should have it on in the next month or so.

Thank you all for your help.

Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Need Help With a Manipulation Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL