The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Duke's Dye Version (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Quoting Pete Biro:

"Duke's Dye Version is one of the best effects you can do at a party. It is so easy, yet plays HUGE... "

Pete, I have to agree! It's great on stage and in platform shows, too! And it's totally mystifying to audiences.

I honestly believe that this is one of the most under-appreciated tricks in Magic, Period!

Anyone else using this?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I hope you do the bit of blowing the last silk out of the paper tube as a way of showing it empty, before you tie it around the tube and proceed with the rest of the effect. It deepens the mystery of the streamer appearance so much, but few seem to know this bit... or use it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Spellbinder:

Thank you for sharing this.....

I've never heard of that bit with Duke's Dye Version. And frankly, unless I'm missing something, I'm kindof at a loss as to how that could be done, based on the mechanics of the setup of the trick.

So, PLEASE DO TELL............

The only time I've "Blown Silks out of a tube" in in the old Magic, Inc. Harrison Silk Blow trick.

Nice trick, by the way. I have two, one is a backup.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5353 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Thanks to Harry Murphy for providing those links. From using them, I have discovered that no one (here on the Magic Café, at least) seems to do the routine the same way as I do, so I guess that gives me another article for The Wizards' Journal... "Duke's Dye-Version Revisited."

What makes my routine completely different is that I start out by showing the blank white paper tube empty, produce four white silks and a black silk from the paper tube and the black silk is blown out of the tube. Two helpers hold the white silks and the black silk is tucked into my Wizard Hat brim (it could also be in a breast pocket). The blank white paper is again rolled into a tube and the white silks are pushed into it. The black silk is wrapped around the tube to hold it closed. The performer blows the four silks out of the tube and they are now colored red, blue, green and yellow. The black silk is removed from the tube, the blank white paper is shown empty and rolled up again and the performer pushes the black silk into the tube and blows out... the same black silk. It doesn't want to change colors. The helpers are again given the colored silks to hold and the black silk is again wrapped around the outside of the tube. The helpers decide the order of the color silks going into the tube and the audience is asked to help them remember the order, because there will be a test! A new helper from the audience is asked to stand and take the color order test. No matter what happens, at this point the streamer is revealed, first at one end of the tube, then at the other, and then it is stretched across the stage. Since this is almost always the last effect in my kids' show, the paper is unrolled and the inside of the paper is now seen to be rainbow colored with the words "THE END" printed in large letters on the inside. The black silk is held up as I bow, and I never mention it, but it is now covered with different colored stars.

I find it hard to believe that no one performs Dye-Version this way, so before I go to a lot of effort writing up my version for the Wiz J., I want to ask one last time... is there no one who performs it like this? I was under the impression that this was the standard way to perform it, even though I am aware that none of this is in Rice's Encyclopedia or in David Ginn's books (unless you put it together from a bunch of different versions).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have seen this done recently. I believe at a convention. Perhaps in Daytona, if anyone has the perfomers from Saturday night's big show.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Here is a list of the featured performers at the 2008 Daytona Festival:
HARRY ALLEN
CHRIS CAPEHART
HELDER GUIMARAES
SCOTT HUMSTON
KOSTYA KIMLAT
DAVID MERRY
NORMANDO (NORM BARNHART)
PAVELL

Does THAT refresh your memory?
Professor Spellbinder

Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Spellbinder:

Great! Thank you so much for sharing this!

I've been doing it exactly as the instructions indicate, and it ALWAYS gets a tremendous reception.

You've made me think about presenting this now as a "Double Dye Whammy!".

I like it!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
My version of Duke's Dye-Version will be included in a new series of e-Books I am writing collected as Book 2 in my Dollar Store Magic section, since you can make the everything from stuff you find in a Dollar Store. Parts of the new Dollar Store Silk Gimmicks e-Book will begin coming on line by the end of the month. You can see the table of contents for some of the chapters now in the Dollar Store Section (Book 2) on my site.
Professor Spellbinder

Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Change of plans: My "Dye-Version Version" was moved to The Wizards' Journal #17 because it was a bit too much for the Dollar Store Magic Section, even though you can make all the gimmicks yourself for a buck or less. However, to perform this effect, you will probably NOT want to use Dollar Store silks, so instead I worked out a deal with Bill Groome of The Madhatter Magic Shop to provide all of the silks needed for my version of the effect for a package price of $45.00. That takes it out of the Dollar Store category, but it is a good deal for The Wizards' Jorunal.

So, to sum up, you'll find "Spellbinder's Dye-Version Version" on my site in The Wizards' Journal #17, plus a link to The Madhatter for Bill's great deal on all the necessary silks.
Professor Spellbinder

David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Thanks for both the hard work and the very reasonable prices.
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7401 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Pardon me, but this trick is exclusive to Abbotts. Making silks to replace the silks is one thing but selling a knockoff method is something else.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
As far as I am concerned, Duke's Dye-Version is still exclusive to Abbotts. My "Spellbinder's Dye-Version Version" has its own methods of producing the same effect and is exclusive to me. Even the dye tube routines that precede the streamer finale are unlike anything in the literature, unless you are familiar with "squashable dye tubes" in some obscure book I don't know about. What distinguishes it from Duke's is the fact that the paper tube is shown empty and blank on both sides before the routine, and what makes it similar is that it ends with a production of a streamer from the tube. As for making silks to replace the silks, no one is doing any such thing. These are stock silks that have simply been packaged together to match the requirements of my "Dye-Version Version" and sold at a discount price.
Professor Spellbinder

magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Wow, this went from "free suggestion" to "dollar ebook" to "buy my product instead" in one quick thread
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Hey, that's show business! But for every magician who reads my ads and decides to take a chance and buy an e-Book, there are many more who grasp the idea that the trick can be done differently, don't buy the e-Book and work it out for themselves. And that's show business, too!
Professor Spellbinder

magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Or they could even buy/perform/enhance the one that is talked about in the start of this post and the method that has been performed on stage reliably for decades. That would be show business too.

For those who don't know, the Dukes Dye Version can be found at the link below
http://www.magicgettogether.com/mm5/merc......ry_Code=

Greg at Abbotts told me he hopes a demo (with Marty and Brenda Hahne I believe)up soon.

Best of luck to Spellbinder and his marketing a completely different and unique method of Dukes Dye Version. I really hope it's a hit because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Hmmmmm:

Wouldn't it be awesome if someone could actually find and post here a COLOR video of Duke, himself doing this trick? Or if not Duke, maybe Karrell Fox?

Nobody did this trick like Duke did!

magicgettogether, great idea about putting a video of this on your Website.

I think you're doing a super job on Abbott's Website!
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Magic Ian it was not at the Daytona convention that you saw that. Jim Moody did a routine almost identical to what Spellbinder is talking about. Spellbinder I will check with Jim and see if he came up with the routine he did or if it is someone elses.

Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Duke's Dye Version (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL