The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Steel or aluminum (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I have a concept for an amazing new production illusion.. it's an appearance out of a painting effect.. but it's so clean and can be done surrounded!

The question is.. I can make it VERY inexpensively in steel... or much more expensively in aluminum.

The steel and aluminum are both just frameworks.. the illusion has no base as we know it.. When the picure frames are pulled aside.. all that is left is a framework.. legs.. supports.. crossbraces.. but no place to hide..

The problemis that I can do the steelwork myself.. and it would make the illusion EASY to break down nearly flat and transport. I don't' weld aluminum.. and it would be harder to make breakdown.. making it a fiarly large prop to travel with.

Any preferences?
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
I work almost exclusively in aluminum and mig weld it. If you want to apply my "no-bolt" assembly to it, breaking down should not be a problem!! I can also provide the aluminum.

Jack
317-508-7355
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of trey
What about wood?

Trey
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Aluminum is the way to go for several reason. Easy to transport due to weight. And also will last forever and great for touring.

Hope that helps.

PS. Jack is awesome at his work. And the no bolt assembly is also a great touch.

Best,
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I would prefer aluminum. It is much easier to cut, shape and drill. Also lighter in weight. No need to weld the aluminum. Just rivet or bolt it. I don't trust aluminum welds.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Been welding my props for 4 years now w/a 99% success rate. Nothing is 100%...not even a bolt.
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
I agree with Jack on this one - I weld aluminum all the time for various purposes and have had great luck with it.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Many years ago we were confronted with this same dilemma. We went with steel, and almost immediately regretted it. Now, this was in 1991, and that prop is still on the road being used regularly. I visited the show about a year ago, and it's still intact, still weighs a ton, still takes 4 guys to move/assemble it, etc. etc.

The money "saved" in construction has been lost many, many times over in the years since. (Labor being foremost, but also that fuel use adds up over the years!)

I would go for the aluminum. And Jack is well-equipped to make it a reality!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
When I purchased some blades for an illusion, stainless steel was much pricier than aluminum - much heavier, too. I went with aluminum, and I'm glad I did.

Also, an old friend, who's a welder, tells me that you'd better be VERY experienced with aluminum to weld it. It's easy to burn through it, so it's best to find a someone who is accustom to working with it.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
In the long run, aluminium is better...

Imo...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
I think there is an alloy material called Allumalite (sp?)

Which is light like aluminum and strong like steel, but expensive like gold!

Might be something to look into?

J
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Thanks guys.. I think that ulitimately.. it's going to be made from aluminum.. but for now.. I'm going with UNISTRUT.. it's easy to work with.. it's cheap.. and it's PERFECT for a prototype.. especially one along these lines..

http://www.unistrut.com/Browse/cat_pg.php?P=S00_Channel

The P-200 is perfect.. will powdercoat well and will look professional. The illusion is in the presentation. It's important the prop look very innocent and simple
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Every material has its purpose. Steel is cheaper, stronger, and easier to weld. Aluminum is costlier, lighter, and doesn't rust.

If cost is the main issue, I would use steel for internal support and reinforcement, and aluminum for trim.

One more note, steel is ferrous (excepting stainless steel), and aluminum is non-magnetic. These properties can be useful as well, depending on their application.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Just remember, every time you transport a steel prop it costs more!!!! So you pay for it in the end even if it is cheaper up front.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Steel or aluminum (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL