The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » School of Busking and your hosts Gazzo & Mario (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Times are tuff and starting a business is scarey.

jobs are hard to find.....but not for buskers! we are still working while every one else is losing their jobs.

the pitches are filling up with new guys because there's no jobs out there.

I'm SURE Harlan Ellison sucked at one time and felt that he would never be good at what he wanted to do, but he took the time to educate himself and COMMITTED himself to his work.

the ugly truth about me is that I have never been as good at magic as my peers!

when I started me and my teacher never felt that I would ever be able to be a full time performer.

but I wanted it so bad my teacher finally just taught me the busking system because we were such good friends.

I believed in the the busking system and gave it my all.

years later I came back and showed him some of the magic in my show and impressed him for the first time.

I still suck at magic out side of the things I do in my show, but the stuff in my show is tight and I have learned to work infront of people better.

STAGE TIME!

STAGE TIME!

STAGE TIME!

YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE ENTERTAINMENT IS A REAL JOB!

and like any job the more time you put into it the better you get.

you may never be the best! but you can definately find your own place in the industry and make a living.

also busking full time does not mean only working the streets....it means working every where all time when ever you can.

it also means picking up gigs, back yard shows, clubs, what ever and who ever will pay you.

lecturing, writing books, selling products.

ONE NEEDS TO BELIEVE IN IT AND JUMP INTO IT, IF ONE WANTS TO GET BETTER AND BE ABLE TO SUPPORT A FAMILY.

finaley AND MOST IMPORTANTLY;

keeping up with the joneses is a bad idea when starting your own business.

BE FRUGAL AND LIVE WITH IN YOUR MEANS!

all this takes courage patience and belief in yourself.

ED YOU NEED A TEACHER...GET ONE!
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

If you are an american busker just starting out please go to this school.

you'd be doing our country, your audience and your self a huge service.

if you have some lame excuse like you don't got money for air fare check out;

http://www.airtech.com/
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Chad....I wanna have your baby. This post made my day...

Quote:
On 2009-02-13 11:23, Chad wrote:

But, let's get a couple of things STRAIGHT.

1. If you're a full time job kinda guy that street performs on the weekend and has a wife & kids and house payment and 2 car payments, then you can still go to Cardiff & take this class. Unless you are a no-talent, online chat forum, wanna-be busker who does this as a HOBBY and really only just talks about doing it, took 400 photos the one day in your life you actually got out there, and are too scared to ever face the pitch again. Then, yeah. I'm sure your wife won't understand...and you won't be allowed to go.

However, if you make serious money as a payed performer (gigs & contracts) and/or street performer (tips) then your wife knows that you WILL recoup this money pretty quick AND...since you ARE working a full time job AND performing ALL THE TIME on the WEEKENDS...then you deserve to take a break and advance your SECOND JOB.

Which brings me to point 2.

Captain Street Gawd's point.

If you make $400 a day street performing, should you go to Cardiff? Well holy jebus jumped up Christmas cakes on a cross...why wouldn't you want to go to Europe, have a pitch waiting for you, with a couple of full time workers that are gonna help you improve your show? You'd have to be a moron of the highest order to question this.

All this whining by part time guys is really whining by wanna-bes...let's make a CLEAR distinction here.

I just did my taxes. Lemme tell ya folks. Some of us part-timers are NOT pulling in $15 hats with big grins on our faces. Some of us are making real money...and want to get better all the same.

There is ONE joint on the Magic Café to talk about Street Performing. So let's talk about that, and not excuses about why you CAN'T do this, or CAN'T justify that.

If you can't, than keep it to yourself, and keep the topic unclutered for people who can and do work. You should be a lurker....not a member of the inner circle for posting tripe in the STREET PERFORMERS section.

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Yeh your right danny chad made a great post.

it's brutally honest.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 11:58, BSutter wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 11:23, Chad wrote:
This is all getting way out of touch with reality...and with the true benefit of this course. I've been staying out of this thread because all the whining is so pitiful that I can't stand the thought of entering into this debate with such uninsightful...uhhh...buskers?

But, let's get a couple of things STRAIGHT.

<edit for brevity>

Tell us how you really feel. Smile
OK I'll be quiet now.

Bill

Brevity who?

Is he a busker?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Why is it so important that the American Buskers have to go to Europe to learn from Gazzo?
Danny , why do you like Chads post so much?
Why should we go over to Europe? When Gazzo is coming to the States to give a workshop. Let me think... Airfare is cheaper (or, if any), We don't need to take off of work or miss gigs, less nights in a hotel (if any).
So let me think about this????? I can stay here in the states , learn from Gazzo, spend less money and have more time on my hands. hhmmmmmm

I am not be sarcastic, I'm just asking a question. I just don't see the logic.
Thank you in advance Danny and Chad.

ps. Danny great job on Koz's dvdI love the bloopers.

Todd
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

TKO MAGIC,

if you really wanna know the answer to that please read this,

http://jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com/2008/02/europe.html

busking in the states is only a shodaw of what busking is in europe and the combination of a school and the oportunity to expose yourself to these european buskers in a continant filled with busking culture will make you better.

once again please read the link.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Jimmy you actually make my point.
I too travel all over the world, I'm very fortunate.
I agree with you it's a lot easier to make a buck street performing in Europe.
But I personally seen Gazzo numerous times make a killing in Key West.
So why should I learn over in Europe where it is easier to make a buck and where I don't live then too have Gazzo come to the states and teach us how to better are game right here in the states where we live?

Todd
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Think of it as "training wheels."
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2009-02-14 13:17, TKO MAGIC wrote:

So why should I learn over in Europe.....

I didn't say anything about you MUST go to Europe, I was talking more about going to Gazzo and Mario (wherever they may be, if they are coming to the states YOU ARE IN FOR A TREAT!!!!!!).

I liked Chad's post because there are a lot of neverwases and wannabees that post tons of tripe and misinformation on this forum and Chad pulled out the big guns and let them have it. He was also right on the money and I could not have said it better myself. It were as if he reached inside my knoggin' and pulled my very thoughts out and put them in a post that was easy to understand, intelligent, and got right straight to the quick of it. I find that very sexy. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Turner
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Turner
STAGE TIME! STAGE TIME! STAGE TIME!...That sounds really familiar..where did I hear that before. Oh yeah, Jimmy, thanks for that man. You helped me conquer some serious problems I was facing not only in my work, but in my life. As far as the school goes, it will always be difficult to leave your comfort zone, and it will always be liberating to define a new one.

Keep in mind, a little over a year ago, I left an up-and-coming career as an attorney to busk. I've wanted to practice law for as long as I can remember. Long story short, best decision I've ever made.

Jimmy, again, thanks for everything man. Maybe we'll run into one another again sometime.

Joey Hopper
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

TKO MAGIC,

if you already have seen a lot of acts outside of the states and are a veteran street performer, then yeh, you have a point.

my comments were mostly directed to those who have not been exposed to the busking world outside of the states [or their own little town for that matter]and feel that, "this is as good as it gets."

the big trouble with the states is the limited pitches and working conditions and the culture isn't as geered for it, when you work in a culture that already knows what you do, respects it and get into it emediately it really changes your whole perspective on what your doing....blah blah blah, any way....

....what chad and danny said absolutely......great pitch with gazzo and mario on it and it's cardif! and watching him work in his home land.

anyway, what ever you do, I hope the best for you. and if you know any beginners I hope that you would incourage them to go.

joey,

great to hear from you, I'm sure where ever you are, you are doing great, blowing peoples minds, you have always had a love for what we do, but mostly I have always been left in awe at your tenacity to over come the impossible no matter what life or anybody throws at you.

all the best fellahs your pal jimmy.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Gee you guys like to talk,
Todd you checky ----
Are you stil doing my show, lol their is a **** load your going to learn hear in the UK and you know it. You just don't want them to find out, guess what I am going to tell them every pitch that you have ever worked in the UK if your not carfull. Hows irland treating you these day,s opps sorry. Perhaps I wont mention towns just because I love yu.
Mario
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Todd let me ask yu, how many years did it take yu to get over hear as a busker.
Well their you have it.

Folks you got to read between the lines hear, perhaps this could be your first lesson. A pro trying to put you of the idear of coming to Europe - why? It Is just like pro telling yu how much he takes, on to a good thing perhaps.

Their is so much more to learn about busking than just festavl hopping and working BIG FAMED PITCHES, angles and benerfits that I have worked for years that I have not shared even with Gazzo.

If you want to be a big shot at a festavel Gazzo will teach you all and so much more as Todd knows.

I will teach you how corner your own market travel on the road ways of Ducking and diving making a living out side of season including pitching and busking, gay crashing. Day to day stuff hand to mouth, read the royal touch again todd and tell me you aint got nothing to learn.

Some folk are like sheep, mmmmmmm and others are born pioners and look to break into new grounds new horrizones, nethier is wroung but which one do you want to be. that's or. It is up to you do you stay or do you go.

Todd don't worry my man their is more to teach them than just the places you work trust me, I am a doctor.
Mario
PS CAN WE PLEASE GET BACK ON THE SUBJECT

PPS I really don't like this hard pushing thing to get you guys over hear it sucks, please stop it. It's up to you Busking is a calling on your life, you know who you are make your own mind up, any qwestions PM me. If you cant afford it, it wont be the same but we will come to you, simple.
Later
Mario
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Wow, I'm not saying "don't go to Europe to learn"
And I'll take the blame on this because me expressing myself by typing is horrible. It's hard for me to make a point.
Jimmy I couldn't agree with you more, you're dead on with your last post.
Mario, I also agree you can always learn more. If there is somebody out there that thinks they know everything, well what can I say.
Now there are some posts on here I just don't agee with so I'll keep them to myself. Mario is right , lets get back to the thread.
I truely hope the best for you guys at the school of busking.

Thank,

Todd
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Quote:
On 2009-02-15 10:40, TKO MAGIC wrote:
And I'll take the blame on this because me expressing myself by typing is horrible. It's hard for me to make a point.

Hay Todd
I know what you mean, so diffrent when you meet folk face to face hay.
Mario x
PS Jimmny thanks for incouraging words your the man.
Gazzo
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Gazzo
Just to let everyone know, We have just secured JIm Cellini to come to the workshop in Cardiff. Jim will be there for the 3 days. He said he would do a lecture and just be there to be an overall VIP. He will just be there to sit down and chat with people etc.
So bring his book if you have it and he will sign it for you. Or purchase it now and bring it. This is great news to have the legendary Jim Cellini at Marios School for Busking.
Also places are filling up so soon, so best send in your deposits people. LIke yesterday.
Gazzo
Gazzo
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Gazzo
The last time I spoke with Mario, he said we only have 8 spot's left
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
This is beginning to feel more and more like a pilgrimage Smile
mslj
View Profile
New user
Bradford, England
95 Posts

Profile of mslj
Either go or don't go, it is that simple!

The value of the workshop is way beyond what it will cost in terms of finance.

The reality is

3 days
Mario
Gazzo
Cellini

The instruction you will receive will be valuable but the payback on your investment will be the quiet moments you get to spend with the guys just chatting. How many hours and days have the three of them put into what they do and you get to sit and ask what them for any advice and guidance you need.

You will get to know what you are doing well, what isn't working and what you could try as an alternative. For that £200 is peanuts.

Simon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » School of Busking and your hosts Gazzo & Mario (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL