The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Tango Coins (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1226 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
All Tango coins are great!
All sizes, different countries.
And fair price.
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
Johnathan Townsend has a lot more than
359 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
I have two Kennedy Half Shells - Johnson (tails) and just got a Tango (heads). Comparing the Tango to Johnson, the Tango looks very fake. It is not raised at all, and just looks very stretched. Next to a normal coin, the difference is very noticeable. Johnson on the other hand is raised and looks VERY good next to a normal coin.
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
narcoleptic_insomniac
View Profile
Regular user
Kenosha, WI
140 Posts

Profile of narcoleptic_insomniac
I have had mixed experiences with Tango...

Both of the clad Kennedy flipper coins I bought from Tango are decent. The craftsmanship could be a bit better, but never once have I had someone spot the gaff. I also have a cigarette through quarter that has served me well for a long time now. On the other hand, one of the worst expanded shells I've had was from Tango (expanded magnetic Kennedy shell). From edge view, the shell barely covered 50% of the coin and the loaded shell constantly talked (from the washer glued inside; design flaw). I also bought the ultimate copper/silver routine from Tango and the gimmick is cut wrong (the c/s insert will not fit completely inside the shell). Furthermore, as anyone who owns a Tango product knows, the instructions are incomprehensible... so if you're buying a coin gaff from them, you better know how to use it.

~ Kyle
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Maybe check on the individual coins. I just picked up a Johnson Kennedy shell at the Magic Art Studio. They also had a Tango shell, but I chose the Johnson shell. The fit was better (I could toss the Johnson and half without things separating while the Tango wouldn't hold together. The Johnson was also a bit deeper, although both were detectable on top of a coin. The surface of the Johnson also seemed to be deeper, it appeared less flattened.

I have a Tango Eisenhower dollar that I'm very happy with. I would probably like a Schoolcraft or Lassen better, but they are 3 or 4 times more expensive.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-02-28 18:28, marty.sasaki wrote:
I have a Tango Eisenhower dollar that I'm very happy with. I would probably like a Schoolcraft or Lassen better, but they are 3 or 4 times more expensive.

Is it because "they are 3 or 4 times more expensive" that you probably would like a Schoolcraft or Lassen better? Is this a valid reason or would being able to do a great routine with a Tango or a Johnson be a better one? Are you aware that in terms of quality, next to Schoolcraft or Lassen there is Aucke Von Dokkum in Holland, Xavier Belmont in France, Roy Kueppers in Canada, JB magic (Mark Mason) in the UK. The differences in quality between these craftsmen is not detectable by lay people. Their choice of coins for the gaffs however is one of the important criteria which is rarely quoted. Just remember that you will be performing with the coins not with the craftsman's name (which, by nature, the spectators will have to keep ignoring).

Magicians should make their choice knowing that the reputation of the craftsmen is more established by collectors than by performers. Since it is not always easy to see the coins next to one another, it is worthwhile to wait a bit and get to a big international convention and, next to the coins presented by dealers, find magicians with coins from other craftsmen. This will enable interested magicians to understand what the differences actually are and what they are not and if, for them, these are worth the financial effort.

More often than not, most of the magicians who purchased from one craftsman tend to become strong supporter of the one they purchased from. Fortunately they each developed a personality and don't do exactly the same gaffs JB Magic does magnetic masterpieces, Todd Lassen does gaffs with a great choice of rare but beautiful coins, Schoolcraft has a ratio of top quality at decent prices for flippers ans coin sets with [, Xavier Belmont gaffs very nice ancient French sterling silver coins...

I share Eric Jones' opinion and encourage magicians not to join any "chapel" but to buy precious gaffs only for the routines they have been actually performing for a while and after having thought about the type of coins they want to put in play in each specific routines. It may make sense for Americans to perform with American coins and Europeans with European coins for a coin in bottle, but this is not as obvious for a Spellbound routine or a C/S/B one.

Another reason for a choice may be the usual performance conditions: if a performer normally does routine "after the dessert" with spectator sitting having therefore a lateral view (as opposed to a down one), he may want to consider Dean Dill sets done by Schoolcraft or Xavier Belmont's gaffs. If he wants to do C/S/B, placing coins in some spectators' hands he may want to leave the black and gold alleged Chinese coins aside for more credible sets with actual ancient coins by Lassen... Mark Mason's 3 Fly with unique gaffs has come out as the best and is available in various types of coins.

Naturally gaffs are generally offered for specific routines but the wise magician will find new uses for them. For example Mark Mason's special magnetic sliding half ] definitel offer possibilities which haven't been explored.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
311 Posts

Profile of lithyem
I just received my Tango Morgan dollar shell in the mail... I am pretty surprised how poor the fit is at 3x the price of my Johnson Morgan shell! I am waiting for some work to come in from a few of the custom machinists mentioned above (doesn't matter who) and thought I'd grab a few of the commercial pieces for reference. I've had a Johnson Morgan shell for a while, pretty good actually. Fit is looser than I'd like but not bad. I have it silenced a bit with some teflon and all in all it works just fine.

The Tango Morgan shell came today and I was sort of expecting it to be a better fit - since it costs 3x what the Johnson piece cost. Not the case - the fit is terrible in my opinion. There is far too much room for the coin to move around inside the shell. Even using a near mint Morgan where the edges would not be worn down it is a poor fit.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1878 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Anyone had any experience with a steel core Kennedy half in either brand?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
1565 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I have a Tango folding 2 Euro. This is a coin made with two metals, a gold-ish inner circle and a silver outer. The first one broke apart (the two metals separated), so I sent it back. The replacement seemed fine, then IT too broke last night in practice. I have superglued it together, but it doesn't look perfect. Good enough for coin in bottle, but little else.

So I'm disappointed.
Author
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
krintz
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of krintz
I bought a Tango Ike shell (heads), and a '74 Ike flipper. The shell is worthless. The surface is almost completely flattened out. It looks terrible.
As far as the flipper is concerned, I got a '74 heads, and a '76 (Liberty Bell) tails, all in one coin!
I've had one exactly one bad experience (out of many) in the buy/sell part of the Café. It was this Tango Fiasco. I posted that I was looking for an Eisenhower shell, and someone (I'm gonna not name him at this time) responded that he had a few of them. Turns out, he was a dealer of Tango products, and had to order them. At first, he got the wrong flipper, so the transaction took several weeks, and ended up with the coins I mentioned above. He has responded that he will replace the flipper, but cannot guarantee the date will be '74. This person basically blames Tango's quality control for the problems.
Well, I had no idea I was dealing with a dealer!
And, if a dealer tells you that the company he buys from has quality control issues, and it's not his problem... well...
bottom line, stay away from Tango.
I would like to hear Mr. Tango's opinion of this.
Ian Blundell
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Ian Blundell
Awhile ago I bought a CSB gimmick from Tango. When it came the chinese coin was bent, the hole was off centre, and there where these really odd red stains on the coin that I can't seem to get off. I have performed with it a few time but feel pretty nervous when using it. The actual gimmick part isn't all that great either but does get the job done. I guess I am somewhat to blame for not sending it back or anything but I really don't enjoy going through that whole process and no spectator has ever commented on it... yet. It's also possible this was just one bad set and the rest are very well made.
Ian
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
311 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Poor quality and high prices... sign me up!
Mr. Tango
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
458 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tango
Dear Lithym

You forgot to say that you sent back the product and we sent back your money.
Mr. Lithym, got the coin direct to us we sent back the money.

About Morgan coins and his fit, it's so difficult, Morgan coins are really different and are silver and very old coins, so we have to make a shell where you can put any of these coins.
Mr. Tango
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
458 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tango
Dear Ian,

About your CSB, I offer change it for a new one. I will send a PM to you.

Bye
Mr. Tango
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
458 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tango
Dear krintz,

I really don't understand very well what problem did you have with our flipper, but I will send a PM to solve, we can't problems to change the coin.

Bye
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
311 Posts

Profile of lithyem
I sent back the gaff and was refunded... fair enough
Sniper01
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Sniper01
I have a number of Tango coins, and they look and function just fine. I also have some coins by the other guys, Schoolcraft, Johnson, ...etc., so yes I have others to compare them too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more coins from Tango, or recommend them to a friend.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Tango makes coins for performers. Even if I have a real self serving pleasure in using the gimmick of a "top" craftsman, it's not what makes the effects. It only secretly pleases me (which is ok, I guess) but I can work with any Tango coins.

Also Tango makes some gimicks that they are the only one to produce. Check their list of Euro coins or their special Flippers.

Since I'm not forced to do any purchase with any specific seller, on behalf of the community, I'd like to thank you Mr Tango for supporting us by offering an alternative, generally at a very reasonable cost.

Your gimmicks do the work.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
311 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Well said Lawrence
Ian Blundell
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Ian Blundell
I would like to add that Mr. Tango has pm'ed me saying that if I sent back the csb set he would replace them.
Ian
krintz
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of krintz
I would like to add that Mr. Tango has also pm'ed me, saying that he will replace my coins. The guy is definitely trying, and I appreciate that. I'll let you know what I think of the replacements.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Tango Coins (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL