The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Strangelittleman
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney Aus
184 Posts

Profile of Strangelittleman
Greetings Magi's,

I've been quite on here since I first posted - just absorbing the creepy goodness but would like some advice.

Im putting together a bizarre show for theatre, its more parlour style than Stage due to theatres I've been approached by being that kind of setup. My problem has not been what will I do - its my opener, I have the middle and closer sorted I just cant seem to find anything that would work as an opener.

Now Im not after 'what do you open with' so no one need worry that Im trying to just knock off ideas - what Im after is a list of good effects that work as openers in a bizarre show. I can modify pretty much anything into the show (not everything) as the presentation is all orig, but does anyone have good 'snappy' opener ideas??

Oh - and thanks to everyone that had Ideas for the decapitation illusion - that play will be going ahead in two months and I've worked out (using a lot of you ideas) a sensational looking illusion (in my opinion). Once it goes onto stage I'll film it and put it up for you guys to see.....Barquoe death is one of the highlights now Smile
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
The Dark Woods of New England
793 Posts

Profile of Matthew St. Cyr
What is the middle and end of the show like? That might help us get an idea of what the opening should be like....
The Wonder Lies In The Dark Between The Stars. . .
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Did you like the opener in the movie "The Illusionist"? He walks out onto a bare setting and sits on a chair that is in the spotlight, then says nothing as the audience gets quiet. Next he holds out his hand and a dead person slowly materializes. The spirit answers questions from the audience before shimmering out of sight.

"Eisenheim's Ghost" in The Wizards' Journal #13 (on my site) is one solution. If you don't want to get so "illusiony" you could just have an "aura" appear around you as you interpret some conversations with the spirit world.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Lunaria from outlaw effects works as a great opener. You can set the "bizarre" mood for your show and do some light cold reading.

If Lunaria is too spooky (and more in the realm of mentalism) for what you are trying to do you could do an appearence of an object that would work throughout the show. Maybe an effect with fire. Could you give us some more info as Matthew suggested? Thanks

John
Magnalucius
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
210 Posts

Profile of Magnalucius
What abput open with a good poem? In the darknes, a bell sounds, then the poem begins, a shadow appears, lightning some candles, the shadow is the wizard, may be the candels light they self. All you do is establish the ambience.

The poem? Well, you choose wich one fits with your performance, by the words or the rhythm.
Lux In Tenebris
Strangelittleman
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney Aus
184 Posts

Profile of Strangelittleman
I had originally wanted to use fire as a running theme in the show - but due to state laws the theatre would have to be fire retarded and none of the venues I'm looking at using this in are - so even a candle is out.

The show basically works (without to much detail) as a walk down some of the stranger myths,legends and practices - including some of the twisted moments in human history - up to modern events/practices etc, told by a 'collector' working towards the revelation of a 'demon' type character who had a hand in all these things. I think it sounds cheesy when summed up that way but the scripting has been a major factor in keeping it playing serious, and I have had to employ help in getting it to this point, including a script co-ordinator and a theatre director.

Audience participation effects are used - I have an effect where I test the theory that if people are inherently good and attracted to good - does that not mean they are also inherently evil and attracted to evil. A simple effect that plays a lot stronger than I thought it would in the runs I've had with it.

Also have a "lizzie' story in there and some other odds and sods. The stage is setup as an almost 'sherlock holmes' type study that has various objects around - some used as props some not, but all fitting the look and theme. A lot of work has been going into this and I have had a professional director looking it over. Its just been a killer coming up with an opener for it. Hope that helps people picture it more clearly - again, don't want to give to much away aswell.

Tell me if this is just plain stupid. Due to the theatres being quite small (50-60 seat) that this can play in, was looking at being seated on-stage as the audience comes in - just reading onstage, rather than a walk-on - giving more a feel of the audience walking INTO the 'play' than waiting for a 'play' to start - from there - BLANK.....lol just cant work my head around it.

I ramble - so I'll leave you with my ramblings and hope someone can help out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre opener (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL