The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A comedy rope escape - sitting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tomthemagicman
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of tomthemagicman
A talent show is approaching at my school and I would like to do a escape. I've decided to do the comedy escape from mwccim. I'm just wondering how I can present this. Basically I need some help on the routine. It is the sitting version where a jacket or piece of fabric is placed over your hands then you pull one hand out instantaneously, but then it is tied again. It ends with the rope penetrating your legs. I'd really like it to be funny but I'm having trouble getting past the obvious gags. Has anyone done this escape who could give me a few suggestions? I've been looking at videos of a in and out escape while the guy is standing, but some of the parts of the standing routine aren't possible sitting. It should almost last 5 minutes for the show.
Thanks
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1492 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dean Gunnarson is a master at this, PM via the Café.

Ian
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Well this is one that I carry everywhere (its only a rope so Smile ) ... I have been using it in my smaller shows for years with great success and this is one of those that people talk about and be enteartained the most....

A small tip might be; When they put the jacket on your hands and when you bring out one of your hands out don't make it too long,and if you can try to misdirect the person who puts the jacket on your hands so he can not understand that you have just brought your hand out,if you succeedd on this there will be an extra comedy added to the situation. Spectators watching will have one more thing to laugh at at that spesific time.

After you showed your hands,dont make the routine much longer,because in the spectators eyes you allready escaped(it doesn't matter that they see you tied again,you have just escaped in a second)

Find good jokes that you can use on the long proccesses like them tying you up,you getting the chair,etc...

Give the time that it deserves and think on it depending on your persona. This is one of my best characterized routines and I really do make people laugh non stop 4-5 minutes... It tires them a lot so I usually use it as a closer in smaller shows. I'm on of those that support "entairtainment first" so if they are going to laugh in tears and get tired of laughing in this,I'll use it as my closer. don't underestimate it,believe it or not ,this built reputation for me...

One more time, give the time to think about it and you will get a great practical and fun routine...
tomthemagicman
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Cool, thanks a lot Doruk Ülgen. That is encouraging to me. I only have 5 minutes to do the routine so this could be perfect. I've only ever done escaping once once with an audience.
tomthemagicman
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Ok, so the audition went well and I think Im in. I'm super stoked about this talent show. It will be my 3rd year in the talent show but my first escape (if you can call it a escape) As Doruk Ülgen predicted I'm going to need more patter while they are knotting the ropes. Does anyone have any really good lines that I could borrow? The one I've been using is "ladies and gentlemen this is not an illusion, my hands really are turning purple" Thanks for your input!
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1815 Posts

Profile of wally
Billy bishop rope escape, do a search.
tomthemagicman
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Do you guys use one audience member or 2 for this escape?
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I always used two.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 18:10, tomthemagicman wrote:
Do you guys use one audience member or 2 for this escape?

Don't even think of using one... Smile
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5115 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
One, would take too long, and deprive you of the joy of confusing them.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Plus, two allows a showy tug-of-war when pulling the rope tight.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Again,you gotta find Billy Bishop's routine. He did it many times on the Ed Sullivan show and other TV shows.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A comedy rope escape - sitting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL