The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Tricks with keys (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
Recently, I've been carrying around a large set of keys, and it got me thinking about the potential that a ring of keys holds for impromptu magic.

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some good, simple and if possible, impromptu key tricks or routines?
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
Try the Ninja Key Catch (Chad Long) on page 102 of Magic for Dummies by David Pogue:

Your set of keys is thrown in the air and you catch them, with the proper key all ready for the door.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Key Accessary by Andrew Gerard.
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
Jay Sankey has one. It's called Leaving Home I believe.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Greg Wilson's "Florida Keys" is what I use.
Slightly different set up and handling because I use a variation of Bobo's 'Coin to Key' first.
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
Thanks guys. I have Jay Sankey's Leaving Home, and am working with that now.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Check out Bob Cassidy's Bent on Strange.
Self concept is destiny..
Andreas S.
View Profile
New user
Germany
60 Posts

Profile of Andreas S.
You also could do Haunted Key as seen on Richard Osterlinds Mind Mysteries Too Volume 7. It really looks nice.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5887 Posts

Profile of motown
I'm not sure if it's still made, but Johnson use to make a version of cigarette thru coin with a key.

You could probably do some type of key on string.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Just A Key by Joe Porper.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Why not work out routines with those keys based on coin moves? And you have many to work on.
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
There is something similar to scothc soda,its called "freakey"
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Quote:
On 2009-01-31 06:38, JamesTong wrote:
Why not work out routines with those keys based on coin moves? And you have many to work on.

Or turn the keys into coins and do a straight coin routine -- Bobo has a key to coin (or was it coin to key).

Seriously as James says you can use coin moves with keys pretty easily.

David
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
502 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Gregory Wilson's "FreaKey" is always on me.
There are key-bending effects you can do with various methods.
I also have "Departure"; which is a ring flight where the ring ends up on your key ring. You could conceivably vanish a spectator's key, rather than their ring. Either way, it's a good way to introduce your key ring; where other seemingly impromptu magic can occur. Everyone has keys; so key-related magic is generally strong.

There used to be a line of magic tricks that actually attached to a specially-made key ring. I think it was brass and they had various illusions that you could purchase separately, (even a little Hot Rod to attach to the ring). I don't recall who put it out, what the name of it was or even if it would still be available. If I could find one with those attachments or find one and a source for obtaining those attachments, I'd get one. My key ring gives me many opportunities and I like the idea of always being prepared, (I go nowhere wihtout keys).
elbruno
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of elbruno
Bob Solari has a few key effects. I have Link Key - visual penetration of a key onto a key ring. He has a number of other key effects listed on his website. His prices are extremely fair for the quality effects that you get.

It figures that he has key oriented effects as, from what I understand, he's in the locksmith business.
The Wacky Wizard
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of The Wacky Wizard
Leaving Home by Sankey
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
This is an "ancient" thread, but, I'll toss in an ancient bit.........

For EONS, I have depended on the old 'Haunted Key' (the old fashioned door key that "turns over" in my hand".

I get three uses out of it! Turn over...hung on a shoe lace it's the ancient "sex detector"...and, it gets used to make Jack Tillar's "blister" (cf. Tarbell, Vol. VII, page 379)

I have an ANCIENT hotel key! I bring it on as the key to my ancient motor home...

KEY RECT is no longer made, but I used it in college and high schools, years ago, and, it played very well. You might find one on the used prop market.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8671 Posts

Profile of funsway
There are many "Key Ring" effects out there too -- and a natural combo with key effects.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I posted "Key Ring" to the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum on October 1, 2006.

A borrowed ring changes places with the magician's key.

It is also in Harry Lorayne's "Best of Friends Volume II" on page 117.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1930 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Sankey also has another effect called Killer Key.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Tricks with keys (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL