The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Dox Dixon's MonkeyShines Volume One (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottdavismagic
View Profile
New user
Little Rock, Ar
18 Posts

Profile of scottdavismagic
I just got my copy of Doc Dixon's new book MonkeyShines a few days ago. I remembered how much I enjoyed the magic and comedy in his first book "Everything is Funnier With Monkeys." So, I hoped this this book would be just a helpful and enjoyable. It certainly is.

One of the unique characteristics of a book by Doc Dixon is in the way he explains effects. The patter is hilarious, the plots are compelling, and his psychology/philosophy is very insightful He explains not only the trick, but rather WHY the trick works. When I understand WHY a trick works, I've got the tools to create my own original effects.

In addition to lots of diabolical original effects, you'll also find very brilliant reworkings of effects you already own- Norm Nielsen Bottles, McCombical Decks, etc.

Drop what you are doing now and order Doc Dixon's Monkeyshines Volume One.

You'll be glad that you did.

Scott Davis
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Doc Dixon's new book is a complete bunch of rubbish...good for nothing but fish-wrapping and bum-fodder. Spend your money on extra beer and chips. You don't want this. Buy this book and eventually your wife will scream, "YOU PAID 25 BUCKS FOR BIRD-CAGE LINER?!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!" And, despite all these well-intentioned warnings, you will look her right in the eye, hold up a fan of cards and say,"Hey baby, think of a card." In moments, she will be busting a gut so hard she'll forget all about the overdue mortgage...all because Doc Dixon and 'Sally Rand' has saved your marriage.

Doc Dixon's earlier book "Everything Is Funnier With Monkeys" (and it IS if you think about it) has been kept within easy reach on my bookshelf right next to the Steve Beam SACT series...and for the same reason. Sometimes, I want my inspiration with a lot of humor, and Dixon's writings never fail to fill my cup.

"Monkeyshines Vol. 1" is jammed with solid thinking and wonderful routines that are strong on impact but easy on method...Annemann-esque, in that respect. All that being said though, there is still something for everyone. Though the mentalist in me enjoyed Dixon's 'Deep & Meaningful Infatuation' (a LOT), my inner-cardworker delighted over the variety of uses for his 'Drop' sleight.

In all serious, Dixon doesn't contribute nearly enough of his off-the-wall thinking. If he really cared about this art, he would just spill the beans on the rest his entire 'arsenal' (did I really just use that word?) and save us the trouble of thinking for ourselves.

Now I need to squeeze this book onto my shelves next to Doc's first one. Somewhere, I gotta find a shoehorn.

Best,
Mick Ayres
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Gregory57
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Gregory57
Can you please tell me where I can buy this book or give Mr. Dixon's website.
thanks.
Cliff Gregory Wollin
keith1569
View Profile
New user
California
87 Posts

Profile of keith1569
Here is his site
http://www.dixonmagic.com/page1/page1.html

I do look forward to getting this book

keith
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hello guys,

Just wanted to throw in my thoughts on this new booklet. Doc is one of the truly great working magicians. He is inspiring on every level: a great technician, an hilarious performer, and, as this book will show, a clever creator.

The scope of the book is impressive: he has gags, full stand-up routines, a beautiful new close-up concept, and more.

He also details what I consider to be one of the best tricks to appear in MAGIC Magazine a couple years ago, Deep and Meaningful Infatuation. LOTS of pros are hip to how good this is (think Derren Brown-style mentalism), and it's worth checking out.

The biggest surprise for me was a routine called Double Duty. I love dual reality stuff, and this is SUCH a brilliant idea on the thought-of card.

Doc has a rare gift for writing, in that you can "hear" his voice so clearly, and his personality really comes through on every page. I've always suggested his first book to anyone who asks, and I'm thrilled this book shows the same quality and even demonstrates his growth as a magical thinker. Thanks for such a great book, Doc!

You can put my endorsement check in the mail, whenever it's convenient. Smile

Josh
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1138 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Doc must have licked the stamp the same minute my order came in because I got my copy in record time. This is a great booklet, packed full of great material and advice. I'm already looking at incorporating the Pringle can trick in my standup show. Lots of comedy potential there. The card effect, Double Duty (as Josh says above) is brilliant thinking and I gotta think, a hoot to perform. A similarly sneaky routine, Deep and Meaningful Infatuation, actually reminded me more of the any card, any number trick by Hugh Grant (I mean Guy Hollingworth), at least the method does, but the effect is completely different. Great stuff, Doc. Looking forward to volume 2.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3222 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I also really liked Monkeyshines a lot. It's one of the best magic publications I've purchased this year. It has great, practical, sometimes funny, entertaining (with your help), amazing, real-world material. There's close up magic for tables and strolling, bit's of business, mental magic and platform conjuring, and more.

One of the routines, "Sally Rand", is going to get laughs. I don't think it could fail even if performed by that guy in the "American Gothic" painting, the guy who's holding a pitchfork.

"Double Duty" is the most clever routine since Annemann, and it's totally original too. This is one of those rare times where a flash of inspiration leads to an idea that has been staring people in the face for decades, if not longer, and nobody else saw it. It's truly a brilliant idea. And, although some care must be taken when performing this, it's not difficult at all. I will definitely be using this when I perform. (You'll have to read the manuscript to see what it is).

There are a few card tricks, a coin trick, and lots of good ideas, written in a witty style that really makes you want to see Doc Dixon perform. And, I expect you will use some of these ideas.

I purchased this because Steven Youell recommended it, and I'm so glad I did. If I can afford it, I will be purchasing everything Doc Dixon publishes as soon as it is released. I'm even trying to find what he published before.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
"Everything Is Funnier with Monkeys" is one of my favorite books. It reminds me of Paul Harris --funny, genius, and thoughtful.

I like the book so much that "Monkeyshines" was an instant purchase the moment I first discovered it.

I just ordered "Monkeyshines" and will review it once I get it.
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Monkeyshines I starts with a four ace production that has a great presentation. The routine also features a new sleight, the Dixon Drop. The only problem for me is that the material must be performed seated at a table.

The silver dollar coin routine has an amusing presentation, and would be good for informal situations.

The Princess Card Trick is really more of a gag than a trick.

There are a couple of mentalism items designed for the stage. As another reviewer observed, one of the routines has Annemann written all over it in its fiendish deviousness.

I think the real value here is the stage routine and several ideas for the vanishing bottle. Rather than the usual hardly convincing "disappearance" of a bottle, a weakness Doc recognized and fixed, Doc fleshes it out into a full-fledged comedy routine and ramps up the conviction.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2009-02-28 11:55, Darrin Cook wrote:
Monkeyshines I starts with a four ace production that has a great presentation. The routine also features a new sleight, the Dixon Drop. The only problem for me is that the material must be performed seated at a table.

Or standing at a table. Like Vernon's Triumph. Or Hamman's Signed Card. Or Vernon's Cutting The Aces...

Quote:
On 2009-02-28 11:55, Darrin Cook wrote:
The Princess Card Trick is really more of a gag than a trick.

Maybe it's just me, but I can find and/or have a million tricks. Great gags require a huge amount of talent to come up with, so when I see one as good as "Sally Rand", then I'll usually be one happy customer.

Steven Youell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Dox Dixon's MonkeyShines Volume One (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL