The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » TV Reminder :: Masters Of Illusion 4 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DCURTHRABE
View Profile
New user
Burbank, IL
78 Posts

Profile of DCURTHRABE
Quote:
On 2009-01-28 03:38, CMMAGIC wrote:
Burgoon doing this trick with balloons and a change bag may get laughs with MAGICIANS but lay people just thought it merely stunk !

Not so, I watched the program with a housefull of laymen who thought Burgoon and Fielding West were the highlights of the show. very entertaining.
steves7
View Profile
Regular user
Blue Springs, Missouri
114 Posts

Profile of steves7
CM,

I think you got it wrong... Magicians look down on the use of the change bag but audiences don't... especially when Burgoon does it. I have seen Tom work a lay audience and they roll in the isles watching the change bag gig... Oh, sure, everyone knows the bag is some gimmicked prop.. but no one really knows how it mechanically works. I'm telling you they just love the whole routine.

I had a couple of friends come back from vegas this past weekend and they got to go see Mac King. They said it was one of the best shows they have seen in a long time and he really didn't do much "magic". My point is... sometimes you don't have to be all "magic" to be entertaining. Isn't that what we magicians are trying to do in the end? Be entertaining... have people walk away saying, "Hey, I really enjoyed that show. Let's go back and see it again."

Hey, these are just some of my thoughts...

Steve S.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1360 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Quote:
On 2009-01-28 03:38, CMMAGIC wrote:
I agree , Dan needs to keep the lifesaver whole because the logic of it bing chewed up then back whole on th floss doesn't fit together ! that's just my opinion , what do other think ?

chewing it up is what motivates the need for floss in the first place. If he just swallowed it whole, why bother flossing? I understand your point about the seeing the lifesaver destroyed, leads the audience to believe that the lifesaver on the floss is a different one. Perhaps, if he chewed with his mouth closed, so you don't actually SEE it destroyed, both issues could be covered.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Sperry got great reactions, why change it. None of those issues went through my mind when I saw it. I just thought Awesome as I was totaly surprised.
Me thinks we thinks too much.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
250 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Some don't think at all.
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
I'm amazed at the credit Rocco is getting. I felt his act was messy and fragmented. Also, I thought he flashed several times which he never used to do and at one point, had to beg for applause. I was disappointed. Just my opinion.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2009-01-29 09:21, giobbi1 wrote:
I'm amazed at the credit Rocco is getting. I felt his act was messy and fragmented. Also, I thought he flashed several times which he never used to do and at one point, had to beg for applause. I was disappointed. Just my opinion.

You too, huh?
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3003 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I agree with Giobbbi 1 he flashed a lot Still I don't think the lay audience noticed. We Magicians kept looking at the dirty hand (Sleeve Drop ) ..
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
I keep trying to look at it from the perspective of a layman. Rocco's bit, was (as is to be expected,) unique and totally different from what everyone else was doing. At the same time, it didn't seem as clean as it has in the past, but.. that may have been partially due to the camera editing and shot angles which he had no control over in this setting. I have to ask what it would have looked like in person.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
380 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
I thought Rocco's act was magical, but confusing and messy,Tom Burgoon I thought was brilliant,it looks like a lot of the acts are hurried, do to time restraints I would guess.Fielding I just don't get.Dan awesome as allways.all together the show I think is a big hit.

Michael
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
My wife also commented on how messy Rocco's act was.
Magic is a vanishing art.
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
I thought it was another magic show on TV that doesn't represent our art properly. Our art is meant to be seen live and on TV the vibe and the way it comes across just doesn't work. This is why Blaine and Angel have done well, they figured out what works on TV even if we like it or don't it works for TV, however the normal acts we are watching currently do not come across as well on TV as they do live!
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
Quote:
On 2009-01-29 19:08, magicnewswire wrote:
I keep trying to look at it from the perspective of a layman. Rocco's bit, was (as is to be expected,) unique and totally different from what everyone else was doing. At the same time, it didn't seem as clean as it has in the past, but.. that may have been partially due to the camera editing and shot angles which he had no control over in this setting. I have to ask what it would have looked like in person.

Excellent point. I will pull back a little. I still didn't think he was as polished as the first time I saw him, but as they say, the camera doesn't blink so it may have looked better live. I hope so.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1085 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I also loved Burgoon!
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
They may have also taped Rocco's rehearsal performance which they have done to several...that might explain some things too...They did that to Tony Clark and didn't reshoot during the live performance.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
According to an article in Magic Magazine, they shot the performances both with and without an audience. Don't know whether you would call that a rehearsal, but it does allow th camera to get close without blocking the audience view.

Anyone beside me wish they would stop using canned applause and laughter?
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Tony stated here on the Café the inside info...
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
In our podcast with Dan Sperry, he mentioned that the footage of him doing the coin operated boy was from rehearsal. Kalin & Jinger talk about the difference between the performance shown on television and the real thing in our chat which will go up a bit later today.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
en2oh
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of en2oh
Quote:
On 2009-01-27 03:02, Geoff Weber wrote:
Rocco is awesome. The smoke to milk to ice cream is spectacular. Dan was great again, too bad he couldn't use his regular music Smile

I was really surprised to see an act with smoking. The routine was spectacular but I have to say that smoking is not a behavior that should be modeled for youth. In fact, Rocco was not the only Illusions of Magic act that featured smoking. Despite what people might think, an entertainer smoking has a powerful effect on some people and their decision to smoke. If even one person decides to smoke as a way to enhance their magic act, that's one too many.

Any other thoughs about this?
Doug

doug
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Quote:
I was really surprised to see an act with smoking. The routine was spectacular but I have to say that smoking is not a behavior that should be modeled for youth. In fact, Rocco was not the only Illusions of Magic act that featured smoking. Despite what people might think, an entertainer smoking has a powerful effect on some people and their decision to smoke. If even one person decides to smoke as a way to enhance their magic act, that's one too many.

I hear where you're coming from Doug, but .. man.. I'd hate to see that effect vanish from Rocco's act. I think it's one of the strongest pieces and he's been doing it for ages. Maybe there's another way to introduce smoke for the effect, but I can't think of what it might be.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » TV Reminder :: Masters Of Illusion 4 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL