The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Best book/DVD for silk beginner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Hey folks,

I have a birthday coming up and wanted to learn about silk magic. I'm more interested in silk productions, vanishes, color-changes, etc., than goofy gags. (Classy and classic!) I have a palmo and a silk ball and a handful of diamond-shapes silks, but I'm not really sure how to use them effectively or where to go from here.

What is the best not-too-expensive resource to learn about handling? Through the dye tube? One of the Rice Encyclopedias? (Which one?) Are there DVDs, or is a book better?

Anyone want to sell me something of yours?

Thanks!
Daniel
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Hi Daniel,

You can get all four volumes of Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic on CD for $40 from Hank Lee. They did a hack-up job transferring the material (misspellings, etc.), but if you can get by that and can read it on a computer, it's great to have it all in one place.

For videos/DVDs, I have a set of old "Why Knot Silks" videos from P&A Silks that I got at one of Peter's lectures. He only had the first three volumes at the time, but there are five now and are all on DVD. There's great info on them, but they are a little expensive.
You can't go wrong with Duane Laflin's material. While I don't have his DVDs, his lectures are always the tops. Great stuff, clearly explained, and a super guy to boot! His daughter takes care of online orders at Lock Family Magic.

Good luck on your new venture! Smile
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Duane Laflin has an excellent series of 3-4 DVDs on Silks, including one on the Hank Ball, one on the Palmo and others. I highly recommend them.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Daniel,

I think the Rice Encyclopedia Volume 2 will give you the biggest bang for your investment. It is a true reference rather than a few tricks.

Almost anything out there is good but sometimes money counts! Start with investments you'll use from now on.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I'll second Bob's recommendation of Rice Vol. 2. I've used it far more than any other silk material I've bought. You will keep coming back to it.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Father Photius,

Thanks for not explaining to Daniel that I can even understand the pictures in Volume 2. (Reading comes hard in Alabama!) It works for me.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Did all the illustrations make it into the complete CD-ROM version?
-Dan
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Yes, from what I've seen/remember, and I've been through all four volumes.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
That sounds like the winner. Thanks, everyone!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Best book/DVD for silk beginner (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL