The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Split Coin vs. Super Coin (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
If any of you own both or have seen both in action, is there a difference between these two gimmicks? I have a super coin but after watching the Split Happens DVD, the split coin doesn't appear to be as obvious as the super coin from close distances as being two coin stuck together. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
I have both - split coin is thinner- about the size of a regular coin, super coin is thicker, it also has a stronger gaff. You need to use the sleight shown on the supercoin dvd with that version. Both versions have their advantages, Split coin is more easily available in different coins.
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
In your opinion, do you feel that the split coin can be placed on a close-up pad without detection? I definitely feel that the super coin can not be handled this way.
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of afknight
Quote:
On 2009-01-26 17:00, Doc Magic wrote:
In your opinion, do you feel that the split coin can be placed on a close-up pad without detection? I definitely feel that the super coin can not be handled this way.

Absolutely, at least the version that I own can be placed down with no problem.
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
What version is that? The split coin from world magic shop appears from the dvd to be of high quality and undetectable unlike the super coin. Any other thoughts?
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I have a Walking Liberty Split Coin and it can certainly be placed on the table. Mine is a little thicker than a normal Walker. It's a great coin! I got it from World Magic Shop.
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
I think the split could be placed on the table, but I probably wouldn't. The seam is a bit more visible on the clad coin vs the silver.
With super coin one half could be placed down.

I would consider both coins to be made to equal quality - just different in design and gaff strength. I have super in quarter size and split in WL and clad Kennedy. I mostly use the super coin do do chop style routines.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I put a supercoin down on the table all the time! It's about WHEN you do it and the flow of the routine!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
Dave,

Any idea when your supercoin routines will be released?
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Hi Jordanl,
No not right now! SORRY!!! I and going to have to E-Mail John K. And try to light a fire under that boy! Smile I would sure like to have then for the f.f.f.f. magic Con.!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hello All,
I can't make a comparison between the two,as I don't own the Super Coin, but my Split Coin from World Magic Shop, Walking Liberty, is very deceptive. I use it all the time for my coins across. I put it on the table in front of the specs, lined up with the other 3 coins and no one has picked up on the difference. I use a shuttle pass to bring it into play.

It looks great and feels great.
Jim
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
Appreciate all of your input, I'm looking into picking up a split coin by World Magic Shop.
narcoleptic_insomniac
View Profile
Regular user
Kenosha, WI
140 Posts

Profile of narcoleptic_insomniac
I've never worked with a Super Coin, but I can tell you that the Split Coin is absolutely one of my favorite coin gaffs... I'm 99% sure you'll be satisfied with it (especially since you've seen Craig's Split Happens DVD) ^_^
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
Just received the split coin, and can't say enough about it compared to the super coin. Much more deceptive, and in my opinion, a real worker.
greatchach
View Profile
New user
Texas
82 Posts

Profile of greatchach
Don't know if anyone else has this problem, but my quarter Super Coin has darkened/tarnished significantly where the Split Coin (half) hasn't. Not sure why that is. I have a matching regular quarter for the Super Coin and they don't match at all anymore.

Love having the quarter version though - very easy to use along with a spectator's change.
MagicD48
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of MagicD48
I bought a half dollar supercoin and really enjoyed using it for my one coin routine.

May I suggest a nice part where *YOU* lift the spectators clenched fist above their head and announce you can get the coin into their hand. Step away from the spectator. Show the "coin" then vanish it and "throw" towards their hand. Ask them if they felt it enter their hand? They say no. Oh dear sometimes it travels a bit to far and goes through the hand... check the back of your hand.... Smile BOOM!!! Love it.
Mr spec, please pick your jaw off the floor so we can continue... Remove evidence yourself after a brief pause (dont leave it to long because they will pick it up), then reset coin...

Anyway, I then bought the £2 split coin as I felt it more relevent in the UK. But after a few months I have gone back to my half dollar supercoin.

I feel the magnet in the supercoin is much stronger, which suits me better.
The supercoin itself is about the same size as a regular half dollar.
The split coin was slightly fatter than a regular £2
The seam on the supercoin was much less obvious than the one on the split in my oppinion.

May I also say, I really don't see what all the hype is about coin through note (Johny Wong?). I feel this does nothing more than reveal the gimick.

So to sum up my gimmicks:
Split coin, thicker gimmick, weaker magnet.
Supercoin, Thinner gimmick, stronger magnet.
Both are really REALLY cool to sit and mess about with while watching TV.

Both have their advantages depending on what you wish to do. However as mentioned above I use the thinner supercoin gimmick for an effect where the spectator looks directly at it in its half form and have never been caught (except one time where they dropped it out of shock and it landed buttered side down!!!!).

Which reminds me. Bread always lands buttered side down and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens if you strap a buttered slice of bread to a cats back?.... LEVI-CAT?

Sweet dreams Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Hi Dazz,
Yea that is always liked About the super-coin is the strong Magnetic! I have some stuff that will only work with a super-coin because of that! Smile

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
To be fair here - I have a custom-made split coin that has a magnet that is just as strong as the Super Coin magnets. This has not hindered the handling in any way, nor has it made it any more difficult to use. In fact, there are some things that can be done with that split coin that cannot be done with any others that I have seen.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Well If my DVD ever on super coin ever comes out! There will be stuff that can only be done with a coin with a stronger Magnetic. And Super coin will be a lot more easy to get with out going the Custom-made rote! Smile

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
That would be awesome, Dave! By custom made I mean I had a split coin made in a Morgan Dollar coin and one in a Walking Liberty Half. They were no more expensive than any other silver gaff - the maker just added a stronger magnet than is normally used.

As with any gaff, both these sets can be handled like a regular coin. One just needs to be mindful of what they are doing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Split Coin vs. Super Coin (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL