The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Out on a limb" by Mick Ayres (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
This is the most amusing thread in quite a while, namely because there is lots of sarcasm and joking going around being treated like it was meant seriously. It's the magic Café version of Who's on First.

Excellent job guys.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2009-04-15 15:29, Lemniscate wrote:
This is the most amusing thread in quite a while, namely because there is lots of sarcasm and joking going around being treated like it was meant seriously. It's the magic Café version of Who's on First.

Excellent job guys.

Or maybe "I can't get to first base". (badda boom!)
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Bobser you cheapskate...I earned more than $5000 just by clicking the very last letter (e) of this sentence....(is that a prediction effect or what!!!)....you need to give me your $5000 and come to Australia and see me and Nathan PERFORM for the REAL DOUGH!! Its well worth your $5000 investment.....

Mick...sorry amigo if you feel that what I asked was too revealing, will PM you

Now back to ripping Bobser off his yearly income....

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
$5000 here in Scotland is not to be sniffed at. Haggis and deep fried Mars Bars are tasty, but inexpensive, Bobser can live like a king on that kind of loot. And no doubt does.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Don't forget the Buckfast!
I've asked to be banned
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
Diet Buckfast for a healthier lifestyle
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2009-04-15 15:43, Turk wrote:

Or maybe "I can't get to first base". (badda boom!)

Hmmm, that would be a good motto for the next big magic forum.

What's this about Buckfest? Do I have ANOTHER reason to move across the pond?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Buckfast lem, I went out with a woman from Airdree a few years ago...i've only just recovered...

its a dirty cheap bottle of sickly booze (buckfast that is)...
I've asked to be banned
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Yeah Buckfast, Haggis, a few single malts and sex twice a month. Some might say that's not too exciting, but I say "Not bad for a priest in a small parish".

Yours Aye,
Father Bobser.
ps: it's my birthday soon. Gonna ask my daughters to get me your 'Out on a Limb' Mick and maybe that other thing you did with Jim whatsisname.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
I've got it. I like it. I plans ta use it! Smile
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Ok, I've somehow magically figured out how to memorize what needs to be memorized for this effect (been months figuring out how). If you want MY method for remembering, feel free to PM me.

My new question is about presentation. I think some of my engineer friends could probably figure out how this works if everything were presented plainly. Any tips for obscuring the method? Specifically when given negative responses. There is some instruction in the document, but it's just not quite a enough for my needs.

This is a fairly big step away from my comfort zone so I'm being very careful, lest I expose a great trick.
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Sorry to double post, but I've gone into some new developments on this one.

First of all, I feel that this particular concept has a TON of different directions in which you can go. I'm currently working on two presentations. This way I can perform the same method but vary the effect based on who I choose as a participant.

My first method involves a very simple visualization of a drive in movie screen in which they are projecting their thoughts onto. I tell them I have the same kind of screen in my mind so there should be some kind of reverb. As a subtlety I mention that they will be projecting "their card" onto the screen but the instructions actually have them project the necessary visualization instead. I'm hoping to leave the idea that the image of the card was projected (and even return to that image before revelation) instead of way it is actually done.

My second method is for the more analytical crowd...potentially card players who think about things in a more mathematical way. I have them envision a 21/blackjack table where they can see all the cards but none of the face up cards are THEIR card. The dealer then deals his own hand and the "up card" which is on top of the "down card" is the chosen card. This way it is in a complex, yet recognizable, setting and their card is the focal point in the middle. Also, once the first image is obscure, I indicate that the table says what it needs to say instead of the normal "dealer hits on 16s and soft 17s" phrase.

I hope this is clear, I just wanted to share it with you. It's still a work in progress. If you have ideas for added imagery or other ledgerdemain, please share. One of my newer ideas as an obfuscation is to mention early on that they are in the car/at the table with a "hot little number" and then imply that the spec is contaminating the reading later with illicit thoughts. I feel it's a good response to a negative reply that ends one part of the method ("I think my process is being hindered by something...have you been thinking about that sexy lady sitting next to you at the table?") and provides a nice break between sections.

This is very free-form and still not completely worked out yet. I tried to not leak out anything secret about the method. Please let me know what you think. Also if you would like my system for remembering the PA, send me a message.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Loyaleagle I like what you're saying. However, as you will know, projection or any form of Bizarre Magic won't be able to help anyone who doesn't have the talent to 'perform' and think on their feet with this IMHO. That being said I've recently had a look at this. I've been around for a wee while so I recognised what it was immediately. The first thing that came to mind was Marc Paul and horoscope signs, followed by anyone doing say, European cities. And perhaps that made me feel a bit blazzy (I simply cannot for the love of me remember how to spell that!). For those that have Out On A Limb they'll know what I mean, especially if they've been around the block.
Anyway, I decided to memorise what I needed to(not difficult) and have a go at this. I have to say a big thankyou to Mick Ayres (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say how I got this but I didn't steal it). Both the journey and the prestige in OOAL is really lovely. I used it all last weekend and it was very pleasurable to do. Blowing a couple dozen people away and making me look very very clever. Thanks Mick. This is a lovely wee thing all mentalists can enjoy!

bobser
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Hey bobster,
I think I understand what you're saying, but I don't really understand your point exactly. I agree that this kind of stuff is a bit of a stretch from my more conventional "upbringing" in magic and requires a lot more thinking on one's feet. That being said, I think all the good guys of any area of magic can do that so this is probably a good way to learn it.

I've been practicing this with a partner (so I can get some feedback) and every time I feel it's a more solid routine. I switch off between the "movie screen" visual and the "blackjack table" visual, depending on if my partner (and eventually volunteer) tells me they are a card player or not. I like having options. I agree that the visual doesn't just sell itself (if that's what bobster was trying to say).

Also, taking Ayres whole idea behind the organization of OOAL, I've been trying to mix up my script and put as many natural "beats" in the plot as possible. In my visuals I always mention a "hot" person of the opposite sex sitting next to the participant. If they have someone with them I plan to make it that person instead. Then later on a negative response that ends a section, I will complain jokingly that illicit thoughts are clouding their minds and then move on to another phase.

My question to all you guys out here who are either doing this or do similar stuff...how long should this be (time from start to finish)? I like the idea of making a big production of it, but as I don't have a lot of experience with completely verbal magic it's hard for me to gauge how long the whole thing should be.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Bobser...I'm thrilled you like it. I hope OUT ON A LIMB helps stimulate that annual economy of yours.

LE...to answer your question about the length of performance, I have varied the presentation considerably over the years. My favorite use of OOAL is to give it a bit of humor by stretching the effect throughout my entire show. A card is merely thought of by a guest at the start. During the act, I come back repeatedly to this guest between other effects and ultimately reveal the card for the finale.

In this way, OUT ON A LIMB provides a wonderful 'bookend' for the show.

Best,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Yes stretching is what presentation is all about. Now that's 'stretching' not boring (LOL).
eg: To do a very simple cross-cut force in magic requires no skill and can be sussed. However, to stretch out each incident or npart of the presentation turns it into a miracle. The by-product being the evidence that the human mind can't go back more than 15 second when it's excited/stimulated.
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Ok, I've been working a little bit with OOAL with friends who are used to me. This also means that I'm used to them too. From this I'm beginning to learn that some people really aren't good "candidates" for this effect.

First of all, some people (think of your "average ditsy girl" kind of spectator) don't seem to have the right temperament for a lengthy set of mental gymnatistics. Attention span seems to be key. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Also, I'm wondering if the first problem could be linked to a second...the effect is long. Now if it's stretched over a show, it might dilute things, but several people have mentioned that "it would be better if it were shorter" or sensed the "narrowing down" process. The first letters seem to be a clue to fishing.

Honestly I feel like I've got the mechanics down really solid, but I'm kind of at a loss as to the presentation. If my spectator(s) are in a receptive mood, it goes over relatively well, but that isn't always the case.

While I like the "stretching" idea, I don't yet do a long show and I'm certainly not comfortable with this effect to make it into a running theme.

For the record, I really like OOAL and I think it's worth putting in the time and practice to master it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Out on a limb" by Mick Ayres (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL