The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » New Strong Magic CE (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
I agree with Ortiz perormances, but I only have two of his DVDs not my cup of tea and goes against what he says in the book. That said I havn't barley seen ANYTHING on him apart from that, so who the heck am I to talk? I trust what somone said above me, he's probably had the crows almsot in tears with laughter!

Quote:
I'm also a big burger fan.

I too enjoy a big mac.
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Let's just say that a lot of what was flying around when the book came out was directed at Darwin -- and not the book -- emotionally instead of rationally. In fact, it later came to light that some of those most vehemently criticizing both Darwin and the book hadn't read it. Rumor? Possibly. Kaufman recently labeled the book as "tripe," but as was pointed out on his forum by a member there, he wasn't saying that while he was selling it.
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1227 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Quote:
On 2009-01-28 07:51, Ben Train wrote:
Richard hates Darwin.

Why does Richard hate Darwin?

A.

Short answer even?
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
They got in a fight over a woman
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2009-01-28 15:44, Mobius303 wrote:
There are guys like Allen Ackerman, Steve Forte and Harry Lorraine who can use any deck you give them to perform miracles. Darwin is not that guy.

Well I know Allen and Steve and they'd disagree with you. I don't know Harry but I'm guessing he'd agree with you, but not because you are right - merely because he's Harry.

To be blunt, your writing that statement is either a hamfisted troll (in which case - it worked, well done!) or an indication that you know nothing about card magic.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
I was joking by the way
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2009-01-28 16:07, Open Traveller wrote:
Maybe...it was a mistake. Of course, if one were to want to open up all that stuff for discussion, this might be the place to do it, since Kaufman can't delete posts here. Andrew?

I know the details, but it's not my place to divulge them.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Here's what I see on this thread:

Lots and Lots of armchair quarterbacks. Not only that, but ignorant armchair quarterbacks.

And I use the word "ignorant" not to mean stupid, but in the traditional sense: uninformed.

How many of you who are critiquing Mr. Oritz have seen him work? I mean really work, not on a DVD and not at a convention or lecture? Anyone?

Yeah, that's what I thought...

SEY

Quote:
On 2009-01-28 17:57, ASW wrote:

To be blunt, your writing that statement is either a hamfisted troll (in which case - it worked, well done!) or an indication that you know nothing about card magic.

I'll bet it's both. And I'm sure Harry will appreciate the guy spelling his name wrong.

SEY
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
No it's true I've never seen Darwin work - I only know his performing from the DVD series. Not to say that those DVDs are a bible of his style and nature but would you agree that they don't showcase many of the subtleties that his book sets forth? In regard to dealing with the audience specifically.

Not that any of this matters really - Strong Magic is a fantastic read and a great book. Who knows what was going on the day he recorded those DVD's, the vibe the audience gave back, or any number of things that can throw off a performance.

In any case - despite the discrepancy with the Book/DVDs Darwin is a highly skilled practitioner of card magic and I think any of us here could learn something form him.
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
I'm not saying that comment was pointed at me but...

I said, "from what I have seen" --- Then went onto saying that I have never seen him work for real, so who the **** am I to say?

I would love to see Ortiz!!!
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2009-01-28 18:17, lithyem wrote:
No it's true I've never seen Darwin work - I only know his performing from the DVD series. Not to say that those DVDs are a bible of his style and nature but would you agree that they don't showcase many of the subtleties that his book sets forth? In regard to dealing with the audience specifically.

Having some amount of experience with video, I can tell you that it is like performing in a black hole-- even if there's a live audience there. Not only that, when you do such a video the constraints are huge. The producer is paying for studio time, so he gets to decide what to shoot over and what not to shoot over. Every minute costs money-- so there's really no time to extemporize, as many of us would do in a live performance.

As to the case of whether they showcase many of the subtleties that his book sets forth? That wasn't the purpose of the video. The purpose of the video was to demonstrate and teach effects, not presentational theory. Try this: get a contract for a magic DVD on which you're going to perform and explain some effects. Then in the middle of the shoot, go up to the producer and say "Listen, I'd really like some time to explain why I did such and such, because people may think it's contrary to some of my theories. See how that flies with a guy who pays by the hour for studio time.

I will never make a negative comment on someone's performing style or personality based just from seeing them on video or a performance for magicians. And if you ever catch me doing so, point it out and I will immediately apologize.

And lithyem-- sorry if the above sounds flippant, but none of this post was written in anger.

SEY
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Point taken - my DVD isn't coming out for a while ;-) so I obviously don't come from a place of experience there.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2009-01-28 18:49, lithyem wrote:
Point taken - my DVD isn't coming out for a while ;-) so I obviously don't come from a place of experience there.

BTW-- this is why the DVD's I make I do myself. I don't pay for studio time and I can shoot something as many times as I need to. I feel the result is better for me AND better for the people who purchase my products.

SEY
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
I certainly don't speak for Darwin but he has had the great pleasure of knowing me for the last 18 years and I have seen him perform for lay audiences on many occasions and he absolutely kills.

Quote:
The Great Noobini wrote: "I first thought it was strange for Darwin Ortiz to have written a book on showmanship as I found the first performance I ever saw of his (Scams & Fantasies 1) quite bad really in terms of how he handles spectators. The way he tells everyone that the big girl is sweating so much that she has really put a HUGE crimp in his card. And later re-stresses the point while she is laughing uncomfortably. "

I couldn't disagree more. I thought he did a great job with the spectators on that disc. They loved it. Also, to be fair, Darwin stressed to the girl in the video that her hand was sweaty. It had nothing to do with her size. Some people's palms sweat when they are nervous or just in general.

For those of you who claim that he violates his own rules on the Scams and fantasies DVD performances (or his performances in general), would you mind expanding on that? What rules did he violate?

Regardless, Darwin really doesn't need me or anyone else to defend him. He is quite successful amongst his peers as well as with paying audiences. I like Darwin's performing style a lot. It fits the character he is portraying and I find it very entertaining. In the words of a good friend of mine:

"if Darwin hammed up his act the way that forum commenters seem to want, he wouldn't have half the credibility he has with a lay audience."

Anyway, to each his own. There are plenty of performers who magicians seem to bow down to that I think are a joke, so it is all subjective, really. Good to know that despite the fact that some of you dislike Mr. Ortiz's performing style, you can still appreciate the man's work.

PS - In regards to Richard Kaufman - he has published and illustrated some excellent books and has done a good job with Genii magazine.
ME
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Ennis,

You're getting way too soft as the years go by.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Quote:
On 2009-01-28 19:03, Open Traveller wrote:
Ennis,

You're getting way too soft as the years go by.

That's what she said !!!
ME
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
LOL!!!
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
With all due respect - that's a complete cop out.

I'm sorry, but I've got all of Darwin's DVDs, so I've got a hearty idea of how he performs. If you are going to tell me all 15+ hours (or however many hours there are) should be seen as Darwin's inferior work, I say: Bah.

I've seen at least 2 dozen close-up magicians live whose DVD's I own or later purchased. Often you get a great sense of who they think they are, because, producers or not, those DVDs show magicians as they wish to be seen. If Darwin thought he wasn't coming across as well as he wanted too, I doubt he would have kept recording tapes with the same company.

Darwin might thrill crowds and be a magical hero. As far as I know, both are true. But I am more than comfortable saying his demonstrated style is not appealing to me. I agree that calling someone sweaty - even their hands - is a strange choice. I also found Darwin to be more than a bit stilted...even kind of boring, despite presenting great effects. If I was just to push mute and watch the magic, I'd love it - it would be perfect.
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
'Hold out your hand - the clean one!'
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2009-01-28 19:22, organicmagician wrote:
With all due respect - that's a complete cop out.

I'm sorry, but I've got all of Darwin's DVDs, so I've got a hearty idea of how he performs. If you are going to tell me all 15+ hours (or however many hours there are) should be seen as Darwin's inferior work, I say: Bah.

Say "bah" all you want. You're wrong. And ignorant about how such projects are done.

Steven Youell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » New Strong Magic CE (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL