The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » New Strong Magic CE (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Darwin Ortiz lectured here in Oslo recently and I didn't go because I'm not a Magic Circle member. In retrospect I strongly regretted not having tried to get in. I'm sure they would have let me if there were any available seats.

With books as well as with performances a part of the enjoyment lies in NOT agreeing with everything. It helps you define to yourself what you really think about something that you would perhaps not otherwise have thought much about.

A little constructively critical thinking probably helps people develop their own magic persona instead of merely trying to blueprint others'.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2009-01-29 18:17, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
Darwin Ortiz lectured here in Oslo recently and I didn't go because I'm not a Magic Circle member. In retrospect I strongly regretted not having tried to get in. I'm sure they would have let me if there were any available seats.

With books as well as with performances a part of the enjoyment lies in NOT agreeing with everything. It helps you define to yourself what you really think about something that you would perhaps not otherwise have thought much about.

A little constructively critical thinking probably helps people develop their own magic persona instead of merely trying to blueprint others'.

I agree! You don't have to agree, or even like- but you can still acknowledge that something is good. When Burger/Wonder/Tamariz conflict I don't assume one idea is good and the rest are bad, but rather that their ideas may all be valid, just that some aren't right for me (or the specific situation I'm using).

That's all I'm trying to say.

Ben
p.s.
Next time do yourself a favor- see him!
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
mackinley
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of mackinley
Quote:
On 2009-01-29 13:48, johnscot777 wrote:
I agree with you for most the part but doesn’t Mr Ortiz criticize Slydini and Ramsay (two incredibly successful performers) somewhat harshly...? I’m sure fans could argue for both these men such as others here have defended Ortiz (whom I doubt needs defending).

touché.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2009-01-29 21:47, mackinley wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-29 13:48, johnscot777 wrote:
I agree with you for most the part but doesn’t Mr Ortiz criticize Slydini and Ramsay (two incredibly successful performers) somewhat harshly...? I’m sure fans could argue for both these men such as others here have defended Ortiz (whom I doubt needs defending).

touché.

Actually it's not the right comparison to make. Ortiz doesn't say they weren't entertaining - he acknowledges their greatness. He's discussing whether that style is the best fit for a lay audience, as opposed to a magic audience. In the latter scenario it's incredibly successful.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
Good point Ben - its all person all taste. That's why I think its annoying for people to lash out at your personal taste - as if theirs is entirely superior.

For my taste, I'm not a Darwin fan based on his DVD performances. I don't think that's wrong, ignorant or uninformed. I just don't like it.

I get annoyed on this site when someone makes a criticism and other people react like its an ethnic slur. Criticism and discussion can often lead to learning and enlightenment.

I always hate the success = quality argument, too. I can name of lot of commercial successes that I personally abhor, including Carrot Top, the majority of pop music released over the last few years, Rachel Ray and almost anything with Al Roker.

The fact that I find these people annoying - no, downright horrific - didn't stop them from becoming famous or generating millions. I think Steven Youell has a great site and is a fine teacher - but he, or any of the other magicians I look up to will never convince me that Harry Allen is funny, that Troy Hooser is exciting, that grand illusions are worth anyone's time or that I should download that catchy new Beyonce single that's on the radio every 4 seconds.

I like when people are willing to debate performers on this site and criticize harshly. It always makes me think about the ingredients of a good performance, how to make my own magic more entertaining, etc. A little respect and politeness about people's taste is always nice, too, though.

In any case, at least I don't mind being savaged or insulted. Usually it reflects worse on the person doing it.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2009-01-29 22:44, organicmagician wrote:
That's why I think its annoying for people to lash out at your personal taste - as if theirs is entirely superior.

For the record, I never lashed out at your personal taste. I took exception to this:

Quote:
On 2009-01-29 22:44, organicmagician wrote:
I'm sorry, but I've got all of Darwin's DVDs, so I've got a hearty idea of how he performs.

SEY
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » New Strong Magic CE (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL