The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Wanted: cheap digital camera... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

big k
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of big k
I've been wanting a digital camera but they just cost a lot of money. Any place to find them for cheap?

thanks,

big k
smile4wandini
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of smile4wandini
Check them out at ebay and you know any film camera can have a disc made at the same time as the film is developed proofs, or some stores let you get them on CD and no paper used for prints.
www.smilephoto.com
The Great Wandini
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5166 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Kodak has a new disposable digital camera out for around $10.00. You get a digital CD back with your photos. I have one but haven't had a chance to get the devoloping done so I can't vouch for the quality yet.
Where the magic begins
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
http://www.iwantoneofthose.com
It's called a DVS2000 I think. It's a digital video camera £99.00 - $140.00
PaulEds
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of PaulEds
You could also try one of the new camera phones on the market, the quality may not be as good as more expensive digital cameras, but it will get the job done - and you can use it as a phone as well Smile

You could then email the pictures from your phone so that you can print off on your computer.

A slighly less expensive alternative is to use a web cam, or get one of those digital camera on a key ring that sells for about £35 in supermarkets such as Tescos here in the UK
Jesse Dains
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Jesse Dains
If you have access to a good film camera. Go that way and scan the prints on your flatbed scanner. If you want to see the results of doing that go to yahoo sideshow group click on photos and look at Blockhead banner by Jesse Dains You will be amazed!

If you want to image small stuff just lay it on your scanner, you will be surprised.
..........Jesse
Gambit242
View Profile
New user
Monroe, La
68 Posts

Profile of Gambit242
I've been working in the TV/Film industry for 13yrs and my advice to you is....

Go for a good lens!!!

Many people by CRAZY mega-pixel cameras, but still take bad pictures because they have bad lenses.

I have a Canon A40, less than $250.00 at Wal-Mart. It is a GREAT camera, great pictures in various lighting..

Also consider what type of memory the camera uses. My camera uses Compact Flash which is DIRT CHEAP. Many cameras are moving to new types of memory that are move expensive, but smaller. Who cares how small your memory is. The smaller it is, the easier it is to lose.. ;->

Seriously. The Canon A40 is one the best value Digital Cameras that I've seen.

Good luck with your purchase.
Gambit242
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I'm into photography myself. I need you to answer a few of my questions before I can specificly answer yours.

1. What is the max. you are willing to spend? I hope up to $375.00.

2. Are you intending to make a portfolio of yourself?

If #2 is yes, what max. size pictures are you looking for?

If you want clear pictures up to 8"x10" size, buy a 4 megapixel digital camera. If you want clear pictures up to 4"x6" size, buy a 3 megapixel digital camera. Do not go less than a 3 megapixel because of the bad quality.

Three good quality lowest priced cameras are Kodak, Cannon and Sony.
WolfgangWollet
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of WolfgangWollet
Remember you get what you pay for....Buying a cheap camera now will prove more expensive in the long run. You will soon be unhappy with the cheap model and then buy a more expensive one anyway = double investment.
I would not buy anything less than 4 Megapixels and a lot of Zoom. I recommend Sony or HP. The first one I bought was a 3.3 Megapixel VIVITAR (at Wallmart) and I was not too happy (although the price was great) Smile
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2139 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Also look at http://www.bhphotovideo.com They're located in NYC, and I've had great success with them for many years. They have good prices to begin with, and also feature a "used" section where you can get many products in supberb like-new condition for cheaper yet.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Another important thing, don't bother with digital zoom, all that does is take a photo of the middle of the area and exand it, ie exactly the same thing you'd get by cropping and enlarging on a PC and with exactly the same loss of quality.

Another bad word to be on the look out for is the word "interpolated", and is the reason why you shouldn't take stated resolutions on cheap cameras at face value; an advertised 4 megapixel camera could on closer inspection turn out to actually be a 2 megapixel camera, with the 4 megapixel setting being the "interpolated" resolution.
What it basically does is to fill in extra pixels between the ones taken to smooth out the image and artificially increase the resolution. Most photo editing software will do this, and if you do anything on the camera of this nature you won't be able to undo it if you don't like the results.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Wanted: cheap digital camera... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL