The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » RNT2 Cups (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Epiphany
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
187 Posts

Profile of Epiphany
Quote:
On 2009-02-04 02:53, pepka wrote:
I had ordered a set of the PF copper cups and when I received them, I thought they were nice, but are too small for my hands. I decided to flip'em. The buyer received them today and is trying to tell me they aren't PF cups, but rather JES squatty cups. I have a set of these, but they were only in my hands for about a week before they went to someone to make a special set of balls and bag for them. He says he'll keep them. I do have a serious collector very close to my home and he has several sets of genuine PF cups both by Danny and Jeff, I really wish I would have compared them. The buyer seems to think that Jake had a bunch of JES cups left over and is trying to pass them off for PF cups. I told him to take photos of them next to his original JES cups and email them to Bill.

Those PF cups were spun out by myself Pepka. Please inform your buyer that the JES Squatty cups had been discontinued almost a year and removed from our site prior to my run of PF cups. I don't need to pass off JES cups as PF cups when we have the actual Genuine tooling.

Thank you Bill for clarifying which set they are.

Epiphany
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Glad to help.

In following the development and production of Paul Fox cups, I have seen many variations of the shape. The cups from RnT II have been quite consistent, after that first run in stainless steel.

The variations in Danny Dew's products were also somewhat noticeable.

When I started doing this on a really serious basis, about five years ago, I didn't even know that there were two basic types of regular Paul Fox/Danny Dew cups. Now, I see all of the differences in weight, height, etc. The Paul Fox cups from Danny Dew range in height from 69 mm to 71 mm. That's pretty graphic.

It's also not unusual for other manufacturers. P&L cups vary. So do National Magic Co. cups. Harry Stanley cups have major differences. Sometimes the cups within a set do not match perfectly, or even at all!

I know from accounts of his customers that Danny Dew would receive a batch of cups from Perigee and spin lots of time grinding, polishing and matching the sets. Even the sets he got from Rings and Things had to be matched, although they were already polished and finished.

As long as there is a human factor, there will be differences.

BTW, Epiphany -- you did a fine job on these cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Epiphany
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
187 Posts

Profile of Epiphany
Dad spent years collecting sets of DD/PF cups. Not a set he purchased matched perfectly. Out of 17 sets of older DD cups, he managed to piece together 4 matching sets that were still off slightly, but a lot closer than the matched sets he originally recieved.

The cups varied in every way possible. My spinning will not match my father's spinning, no would my father's spinning match that of an older set, no matter if it is the same tooling or not. Like you said Bill, it's the "human" factor.

Bill, thank you for your compliment on my spinning. It means a lot to me.

Epiphany
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
Hi Bill,

so just to clarify.

the lateset RNT2 PF Coppers are a little shorter than the other PF RNT2 sets that you have.

but will take a lacrosse ball without it protruding about 5/16 to 3/8 of an inch?

also to clarify.
the latest RNT2 PF coppers are NOT the same as RNT2 PF squatty's.
is that correct?

I think I may have the latest PF sets. I prefer them slightly shorter anyways (even though it's probably negligable).

and it's cool to know that these were probably hand spun by Epiphany herself.

very nice cups. love them! great job!

Thanks!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think that's the beauty of "hand spun" cups... they are works of artisans, not assembly line factory made.

You should see my FAVORITE set of "Indian" cups... they vary maybe 1/4-inch, look hundreds of years old (probably are) and ring like a bell.

As I write, I await a set of cups from Epiphany and am looking forward to working with them.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Philp
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Philp
Just received the Church Bronze Mini Don Alan and Mini Jesters from Epiphany at RNT2today. Super cups and first class service to Engalnd - I ordered the cups on 11 January.

Like many at the Café I shall be sorry to see RNT2 close but feel very lucky that I have been around at a time when such great products were avaiable to the magical fraternity.

I know that it should make too much difference, but I do really feel that there is something really special about using quality props - particularly in a close up situation. I now need to work on my mini cups routine.

I send my best wishes to all at RNT2.

Philip
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-02-04 14:31, Apprentice wrote:
Hi Bill,

so just to clarify.

the lateset RNT2 PF Coppers are a little shorter than the other PF RNT2 sets that you have.

but will take a lacrosse ball without it protruding about 5/16 to 3/8 of an inch?

also to clarify.
the latest RNT2 PF coppers are NOT the same as RNT2 PF squatty's.
is that correct?

I think I may have the latest PF sets. I prefer them slightly shorter anyways (even though it's probably negligable).

and it's cool to know that these were probably hand spun by Epiphany herself.

very nice cups. love them! great job!

Thanks!

That is exactly right. The inner diameter at the crucial spot is a tad larger than on the Squatty cups. The load capacity of a cup is a complex matter. The radius of the curve has to break at exactly the right spot to make it happen.

But, as I mentioned, you must make sure you get lacrosse balls that are at the lower limit of the size range. In former years, this was not a problem, but now that they are made largely in China, the variation in size is somewhat more noticeable.

Also, some lacrosse balls have a slightly raised section where the logo is stamped. This should be ground, filed or sanded down for smooth working.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Just received all my cups from RNT, 2 sets of Mendoza non-combos and my traditional cups, and boy are my traditionals heavy and beautiful. Glad to have them as part of my working collection.

Will photograph them brand new and later after they have been patinanized. Also need to wait for my Ball collection from James Tong to arrive, and then I will begin the photograph session.

Recently ordered another Chop cup from RNT, who knows what I will do next?

Have fun folks! Smile Smile Smile
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
Thanks Bill for confirming!

I'm waiting for a Lime Cocobola Chop cup myself which I've been told will be completed very soon.

Madkiki: looking forward to your photos.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I'm a happy RnT II cup owner, getting my Church bronze PF cups. I need to quickly scrape together enough to get a chop cup and maybe a Mendoza combo set.

Oh Oh. I think I'm headed to a case of CAS (Cup Acquisition Syndrome).
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
RNT2 box with the Mendoza Combo's arrived today (less than a week from order to in hand). Very very nice.... great job of spinning, etc. They are as good as it gets.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Pete, did you get the satin cups or the polished cups?
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Aluminum... the price was right.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Oh, right...forgot about those! (My brain immediately thinks 'copper').
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I recently heard from a VERY PROUD Papa that the Mendoza's I just received were from his baby girls run! I was going on and on about the quality of work and finish on the cups and that IMO they were flawless! Jake informs me that these are 100% Epiphany's work and I'm beyond impressed! AWESOME WORK young lady and no offense to the Mad Clown but these babies are now all that much more special to me!

Pip,
Keep me posted when you get around to chucking up another hunk of burl since I missed getting a shot at that last beauty you turned out!

Mick
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I too just received the Mendoza's yesterday and they are beautifully made, great work Epiphany. I was hoping the balls I ordered would be in the box, but I'm sure they'll be rolling in soon.

Tom
Epiphany
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
187 Posts

Profile of Epiphany
It was brought to my attention last night that on another forum there is a post by Richard Hughes that shows concern for my location shown with my Avatar. I feel now that I need to explain this. I was born and raised the first part of my life in New Orleans, that is home to me as it to my father. I reside in VA right now, but my hometown is New Orleans. I had no idea people would become so petty in such a small detail or I would have to explain myself.

Also, on another forum, Leonard Hevia seems to be a cup expert and continues to make claims that the cups I spun and sent Pepka are JES cups. I've never spun a JES original nor did Pepka recieve such. Bill Palmer confirmed that the cups were indeed a spin of PF cups and not left over JES cups.

Bill and everyone else in this thread, thank you so much for your kind words. In the short time that RNT II has been producing magic it's been a pleasure to do so for all.

Epiphany
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Epiphany,

The pleasure has been mine.
Many thanks for giving me such wonderful things.

Please give my best wishes to all.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 12:49, Epiphany wrote:
It was brought to my attention last night that on another forum there is a post by Richard Hughes that shows concern for my location shown with my Avatar.

Hell Epiphany, these are the same people that not so long ago didn't even believe you were a real person!

Hopefully someone can to line the guy (new owner of the PF's)out and although a public acknowledgment of such by the new owner would be nice I wouldn't count on it from that bunch! He's basically calling both Pepka and RNT2 liars!

Those that matter know who you are and what a talent you are and the rest are just............ well, you know!

Keep up the great work,

Mick
Epiphany
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
187 Posts

Profile of Epiphany
Mick,
I'm very real and I've had the pleasure of meeting some people here on the Café. The highlight was meeting Mr. Fenton when he was at Disney about a year ago this month. It's been a pleasure to meet everyone in person that I've been able to so far.

I just wanted to take the time to address the New Orleans issue as I could see where it may be confusing, but not for alarm as Richard Hughes made it out to be.
I do look foward to moving back to New Orleans someday soon, I miss it more and more every time we go back to visit. The culture and the food is to die for there.

Epiphany
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » RNT2 Cups (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL