The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Jerry Andrus and the Castle of Chaos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I'm really interested in Jerry Andrus. I saw him at the Magic Castle once, but he was engaged in a conversation with some other people and I didn't have a good way to approach him without seeming rude so I didn't meet him. I saw some of his optical illusion sculptures and they are fantastic! I heard on the Magic Radio show about this really interesting computer keyboard he uses. Does anyone know where his Castle of Chaos is located?

http://www.sandlotscience.com/EyeonIllusions/Andrus.htm
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I believe the "castle" is actually his home, in Albany, Oregon.

I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Jerry a couple times, and I can only speculate what it must be like living inside that mind. His ability to see things in ways the rest of us would never think of is truly inspiring. If you want to contact him, he's in the phone book, and I've found him to be very receptive and approachable.

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
Geoff, you may also want to get a set of the Andrus videos titled "A Lifetime of Magic" and sold by Meir Yedid. You can check out Meir's website for more info.
http://www.MYMAGIC.COM
The tapes are really a blast to watch and you can see Jerry in action. BTW, an interesting sidelight about Mr. Andrus, is that he will not lie during the performance of an effect... very unusual approach for a magician, but then, he's one of a kind.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Oh John... is it real? He has never lied in his performance ever?

Wow!! I can't imagine it.
However, recently I have been doing the Ultra move to avoid lying.

Michael Lam Smile
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
To follow up on John's post.

Jerry visited the NY gang around 79. He is indeed a special person. Ever wonder what Mr. Rogers might be like as a magician? Jerry projects a similar feeling of honesty, sincerity and openness. If you get a chance to meet the man, please do. -Jonathan
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Jerry does live in Albany, OR. If you get the opportunity to meet or talk to him, please do.

Here is a site that has one of Jerry's optical illusions. It works best when lit from below.

http://www.grand-illusions.com/dragon.htm
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Thanks to some great sponsors, (especially the Timid Rabbit and the IBM Ring that meets there)
Mr Andrus was our guest at Michigan Magic Day, 2004 in Kalamazoo MI.
What a wonderful man! His illusions (optical and otherwise) are truly entertaining.
Those of you who have been in and around magic for a good number of years understand what I mean when I say I seldom see things that surprise me, or inspire a sense of wonder. Mr Andrus and his illusions provided me with many of those elusive "magical moments" over the course of that weekend.

(He and my better half also had some very interesting conversations about the psychology of magic, mankind's need for religion, education vs intelligence, and the mind's need to eliminate chaos.)
Jake Boone
View Profile
New user
Cottage Grove, OR
78 Posts

Profile of Jake Boone
I recently met Mr. Andrus for the first time (I live in the next town over), and he was indeed a very pleasant, approachable and helpful fellow. It would take a lot of effort, in my opinion, to not immediately like the guy.

I believe that he will be appearing all this weekend (July 16-18) at the Da Vinci Days festival of science and art in Corvallis, Oregon (staffing the Oregonians for Rationality booth). A Google search should turn up the details, if anyone's local enough to attend and wants to see a selection of jaw-droppingly cool illusions.

And yes, his computer keyboard is fascinating.

-- Jake
"Trust everyone... but cut the cards."
Darko
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Darko
Jeff Dial, I constructed a Andrus dragon. It´s very funny and really work. Thanks for the link.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I think the most recent Genii magazine has a spread on Jerry Andrus along with pictures of the Castle of Chaos. I gave my copy to a friend who had a product reviewed in it, so I cant be absolutely sure that is where I saw it. But I am pretty sure.

It also had interesting comments about things like when he installed a new toilet and the door opened in, and wouldnt clear the toliet, so he cut a part of the door away to match the contour of the toilet, and the cutaway section was reattached and hinged to spring back once it clears the toilet.

Definitley a mind that looks at things differently and without boundaries.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Eye of Mephisto
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Eye of Mephisto
Jerry Andrus has a book published in Japan of cardboard cut out optical illusions.
The title might be "Wink Magic, Optical Illusion Objects ".And of course the book is in Japanese only. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks, Bruce.
Eye of Mephisto
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Eye of Mephisto
The latest article about Jerry was in the September 2004 issue of Genii magazine. It includes an optical illusion cut out and some of his magic tricks.....Bruce
Jerry Andrus
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Jerry Andrus
I need to get something clarified that has been misinterpreted about me, in regards not lying. In real life I do not lie. However, I would lie to protect someone's life, or something like that.
As magicians, you might say that we are often playing the part of an actor.
So, if say “I pass my hand over the wrong card and it turns into the right card,” that is a lie. But I am an actor playing the part as if one card magically turning into another.
But a good example is one time at the Castle when I have just finished my close up show, a lady asked me a question that I could not honestly answer without exposing something. I don't remember, but lets say I had just done the Linking Pins. It ends with three regular pins on the table that they may examine if they wish. Let's say she said, “Was that trick done with regular safety pins?” I would probably say that she can examine the pins. But if she persisted asking if it was done with regular pins, then I would be lying if I said yes. So, I said, Lady, as a magician I am playing the part of an actor and and have a license to lie, I am no longer playing that part and have thus lost the license, and I can not answer your question.

Jerry Andrus
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Quote:
I heard on the Magic Radio show about this really interesting computer keyboard he uses. Does anyone know where his Castle of Chaos is located?

http://www.sandlotscience.com/EyeonIllusions/Andrus.htm

I haven't found references about that computer keyboard. What is it?

Dave

PS: I have seen a post by Jerry himself... what a guest of the forum!!! Welcome!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I believe the keyboard he uses is called a (DVORAK). The name comes from the layout on the keyboard just like a traditional (QWERTY) keyboard. I have the Genii magazine article somewhere that BroDavid mentioned in his last post. I'm not at home at the moment but I'll dig it up to make sure I'm right about this.

His reasoning for using this type of keyboard (if it is indeed the DVORAK) is that when you use this keyboard your fingers won't move as far to type. He even gave an explanation of your fingers moving at such and such miles per hour and compared they two keyboard styles. Another interesting thing the article shows is that his keyboard is fixed onto a treadmill. So he's exercising while he works.

I'll come back to make sure I'm right on this later.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Quote:
On 2003-05-16 11:25, Jeff Dial wrote:
Jerry does live in Albany, OR. If you get the opportunity to meet or talk to him, please do.

Here is a site that has one of Jerry's optical illusions. It works best when lit from below.

http://www.grand-illusions.com/dragon.htm

With some practice you can get this to work with both eyes open. Treat the model a bit like an 'auto steriogram' (3D dotty picture thing) so you kind of odnt quite point your eyes at the model, aim for just in front/behind of it, but keep your focus set to the right distance so it looks sharp. This has the rather nice bennifit of not making you look like a mad fool bobbing around with one eye closed.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Quote:
On 2003-05-06 19:19, John Smetana wrote:
BTW, an interesting sidelight about Mr. Andrus, is that he will not lie during the performance of an effect... very unusual approach for a magician, but then, he's one of a kind.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

John, this is not quite true. I saw Jerry Andrus lecture a few days ago (at the International Magic Convention). Someone asked about this and he said that this is a common misconception. In fact he does lie (in that he makes up patter), however he will never lie if asked whether a method is correct (he will say, "Sorry I can't answer that"). As a performer he feels he has the 'right' to lie (if you call making up an entertaining story a lie), but as a person, he has no right to tell somebody that they are wrong if they are not.
Owen
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Quote:
On 2005-11-28 05:59, owen.daniel wrote:
...snip...
As a performer he feels he has the 'right' to lie (if you call making up an entertaining story a lie), but as a person, he has no right to tell somebody that they are wrong if they are not.

Nice ethics, we could all learn from this
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
Algebra2
View Profile
Regular user
CA
156 Posts

Profile of Algebra2
Shameless plug-I have his three vid set VHS on sale in the sales area. It has all of his great ilusions, Zone Zero, Mylar Tube, his great color change for cards and has him demostrating a number of cool optical ilusions...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Jerry Andrus and the Castle of Chaos (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL