The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Human Vent Mask (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Anyvents in the UK should check out Karl Evans studio in Wales. Just google the name. He makes a male and female version, they are cable controlled and work very well. I have both. Also the after sales is fantastic, after a year of use 5 nights a week my male mask needed repainting. I sent it to Karl who contacted me and said it would cost abot 10 quid to repaint it or he would send me the latest new model 1/2 price which I did. Great service my mask arrived 6 days after ordering.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Quote:
On 2010-04-03 14:08, tacrowl wrote:
Kyle,
While it's wrong to copy, even Paul's act includes a lot of influence from others. If you watch Lucas do the mask, you can hear/see some of the vocal and material that is reflected in Zerdin's act.

The voice is polar opposite, an old comedy bit. The dance mention can be seen in Human Puppet routines prior to Paul's too. I saw Ken Groves do a non-mask routine with an audience volunteer about the person doing ballet back in the early 90's - long before Zerdin was ever on TV. I'm certain it goes back further than Ken. Same for the singing portion.

Copying is definitely wrong. But if your act is created based on inspiration of another ventriloquism act, I think it's OK.

Am I right in saying this?
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Inspiration comes from many places. The most original people I know all get their inspirations from others (usually not even in the same field) then modify, adapt and add other componets to create something unique and different. Copying line for line, joke for joke is wrong - and there are now court precedents that can allow people using other's material to be sued.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
I started using animatronic masks that I made starting about 17 years ago.
I was certainly inspired by Ronn Lucas - as was everyone who started using masks after seeing him do it with such amazing results.
Ronn himself was inspired by Joel Hodgeson and an old British vaudevillian vent whose name escapes me right now.
Nothing new under the sun as they say.. I am sure that someday a hieroglyphic image of a pharaoh doing an early version of the mask routine will surface.
It is interesting how the routine itself started as a hilarious novelty and has now been done so much that it has kind of turned into a tired bit.. A tired bit that still gets a great response from lay people.. But it seems that every vent kind of does that same basic 'Lucas-y' bits (nod 'no', say 'yes' sort of stuff)..
Currently, I am working on a remote control mask for my own use with a fully articulated mouth (not just up and down jaw movement, but lip snarls/animated lips).. I will be sure to post pics when it is done Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Human Vent Mask (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL