We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » See The Flea, and enjoy some AAAAART! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Computer functioning normally again, don't know why. So I managed to get these clips onto You Tube:

YouTube Silver Sceptre Demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-QntWGsr7g

You tube Potty and Squawk with Drawing Board:

http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=V8PWGBVRFLY

IAN ADAIR’S MAGIC PAINTING COMPETITION

http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=a-CmnmvJehQ

THE FLEA

http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=FcvYCxeHYMQ

The whole show will shortly be available on DVD. Would appreciate your feedback. Should I include an "explanation" section?
Potty Smile
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1422 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Potty,

That's fantastic stuff. Love the Flea jokes and the Silver Sceptre biplay. Is that the Practical Magic Silver Sceptre? They do great stuff.

Yes, get that DVD launched. Your distinct style and gift for interaction with kids is on display, but I would say absolutely include an explanation section to convey your lessons over the years about how to impact kids, to point out distinguishing parts of your act we might overlook, etc. The act is fantastic. The act plus an insightful explanation section (not just a perfunctory "I have to add content beyond just the show so here's the rundown of how they work) would be outstanding.

Thanks for sharing that. I wish I had your chops (slowly but surely getting better, but a good deal away from the "goal" which your act embodies).
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Doug,

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Real character based comedy, love it...

Ken
Rock_Slatestone
View Profile
Regular user
Been Here A While But My Post Count Is
120 Posts

Profile of Rock_Slatestone
Doug,

Thank you for sharing. Especially the Silver Sceptre. I purchased the Silver Sceptre last year from David Ginn Magic and I had a tough time figuring out making the cover fly. I now have some better ideas watching your video.

Keep up the good work. The kids love it.

Steven
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2009-01-30 13:51, Potty the Pirate wrote:

The whole show will shortly be available on DVD. Would appreciate your feedback. Should I include an "explanation" section?
Potty Smile

Yes - obviously with the exception of "marketed items". I really find that annoying when explanations aren't included. (the Colonel custard DVD springs to mind!)

Mark
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2227 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Doug, thanks for sharing your videos. You have great interaction with the kids. This is the first time I see the Flea Circus in action.

I hope to see a video of you performing with my cable ventriloquist pirate mask, too.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
edwingoh88
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of edwingoh88
Hi there,

I would love to buy the dvd. when will it be available!
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Very engaging and entertaining.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You had on a costume, that is always nice.
Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
296 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
Great stuff Potty!

Made my morning! Your posts are some of the most helpful here on the Café and seeing you in action was great - thanks for sharing!

Please put me down for a DVD Smile

Cliff
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Are you planning on video taping the show and actually selling it? Why?
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Magic Santa, as well as the show I've decided to include a series of tips and thoughts on characterisation, pacing, and general stagecraft. All of the routines in the film are designed to illustrate various elements that can be included in kid shows.
Just as I've studied the comedy of many of my contemporaries, some folks may wish to study mine. If they do, then they can get hold of a copy of the DVD. Want one?
;)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ohhhh....I thought you were just going to sale your show video, tips are always nice. You are an UKer so marketing tips likely wouldn't help those in other countries. No, I don't think I need one of your DVDs, I know about characterization, pacing, and general stagecraft. The show wouldn't help me much because to be honest I couldn't understand what you were saying a lot of the time. Well, pip pip and all that. Oh, the flea circus thing was interesting, nice to see a different version of side kick.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I think the difficulty in hearing was due more to the acoustics rather than any accent or dialect, etc. I would strongly suggest a mic or headset when making a dvd for purchase rather than relying on the videocam sound capturing capabilities. I'm always interested in how others perform for children.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yes! Stempleton is no simpleton (see that? Poetic!)! I am hard of hearing I admit.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Hey, that silver sceptre bag looked familiar Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Yes, it's a Starsini Sceprte bag, still going strong! Thanks, Frank...
There is an issue with the sound editing - this WAS my first time! The sound on the original is fairly clear - it was shot in TV quality by a professional documentary maker. You Tube downgrades all files including sound, as far as I'm aware. The whole edit is shortly to be refined, and all the wrinkles in the soundtrack should be gone. If you look closedly at the vid, you'll see that I am wearing a mic.
Of course, this DVD will maybe only appeal to a smaller number of entertainers, though I can't see why only UK folks would find it helpful. Although you're experienced with stagecraft, Magic Santa, not all are so lucky. And apart from that angle, there are plenty of bits of business, and four full-length routines plus lots of other stuff.
;)
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1001 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hi All,

I have watched a few of the clips which are ok. Though I would have to add that for those who are interested in furthering their careers in this amazing life of kids performing should take a look at this link: http://www.practical-magic.com/component......4696.jpg

This book is a gold mine of info and a complete discourse on kids entertaining.

Best,

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1422 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Let's turn this thread back from a non-related book plug to a celebration of Potty's outstanding work.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Cool! What are the links to his new video Mumblemore?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » See The Flea, and enjoy some AAAAART! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL