The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » I need your opinions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MichalAngelo
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of MichalAngelo
I have an old pair of Tower cuffs (approx 140 years old). They are really rusty and quite unattractive. Should I consider restoring them (NOT with sandpaper)or leave them as they are? Sure...The condition they are in now shows their age, their character, and their historical story, but o the other hand, they're quite unsightly.

What do you think?
newman1066
View Profile
New user
North Carolina, New York, Vermont,
53 Posts

Profile of newman1066
If you wish to address their unsightliness without using any mechanical means to clean them try Navel Jelly.

By repeated applications of same and timing the Jelly's action prior to rinsing them you can likely get the aged look that you desire.
MichalAngelo
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of MichalAngelo
I don't necessarily want them to look aged...They're about 140 years old...They look WELL aged enough!! Lol. I'm just undecided if I want to restore them and get the rust off of them or leave them as they are.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Try this site. If these guys don't know, then you have trouble.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
MichalAngelo
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of MichalAngelo
I have the stuff to clean them up....The question is...Should I? I'd hate to clean them up then think "Crap, I should've left them like they were." I'll figure out what the heck to do with them.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Sorry. I forgot to add the address. Here it is.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/261154/
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
MichalAngelo
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of MichalAngelo
Ahhh. Thanks Kevin. Muchos Appreciatos.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
"To restore" or "Not to restore"...that is the question.
The answer is a matter of the opinion of the potential buyer, if you plan to sell someday. Otherwise, it is up to you and your preference.
I have several vintage items I am DYING to restore because the flaws, dings, paint chips that drive me nuts. However, to some collectors, this will decrease the value.
If the prop or item is really bad, as yours sounds to be, then I would recommend cleaning it up. Metal items such as hand cuffs, brass props etc. lend themselves to a polishing restoration without harming the value, if any, as the prop remains relatively the same.
A painted prop is another matter as you lose the original paint during a restore which some folks find problematic. Unless you are VERY good at paint color and stencil matching as well as applying finishes then it is best to leave it alone.
I think shining up your cuffs would be just fine on all counts.
This is just my opinion Smile
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
MichalAngelo
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of MichalAngelo
Thank you very much. That was my main worry...I didn't want to decrease the value of them nor do I want to ruin their markings and such. It's a catch 22 sometimes.
MichalAngelo
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of MichalAngelo
The restoration is coming along nicely. Here's a picture of what they looked like before and what they look like as of now. Still have some work to do on them. It's a slow process.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4862/beforeafterhc7.jpg
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I don't collect these things and, as a matter of fact, I've never heard of them, but I would buy the set on the right if I were looking for some...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
magicnator
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magicnator
If there is some historical significance to them, then leave 'em alone...IMO. However, if you are needing them to perform with, maybe finding the balance between the "old look" and "getting them functional" is the right idea.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » I need your opinions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL