The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » One of the Best Card Tricks I've seen in a Long, Long, Long Time. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6351 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Oops, by the way, Juan's effect involves a more extensive set up while Scarne's can be practically done while fiddling with the two decks. You can easily work Scarne's into a walkaround gig because it doesn't require too much to set up and you can practically set it up in front of them as you end the effect.

greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Thomas Kwon
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Thomas Kwon
Sorry. what was the point of the first video?
Second video was better by about 10 thousand times.
Maybe for the first video, if she cut out the juggling and put in some spectator and patter, maybe then it'd be watchable.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Well, I must say that I wasn't overwhelmed by the video. Admittedly, I am a Tamariz fan, so I am biased. That being said, I love the Total Coincidence effect, and haven't broken it out yet because I haven't found a presentation that I'm happy with yet. She's found one that works, if only in a video (but it would certainly work with patter running along the same premise). Having said that, I do agree that the XCM does not add to the effect at all, and is grossly out of place as it lacks any sense of congruency.

I do applaud her for finding an original premise that works for her though.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I just checked out her YouTube page. If you ever run into her at a convention, make sure you all mention how much she sucked.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BaByCatXD
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Thanks for the additional link..the more I see of her work the more I'm impressed. Why is it so hard not to just appreciate what she is offering up. She is a young lady with obvious talent, can't that be enough?

Now this guy is one to watch..he is only 3 weeks into magic but you will soon see the raw potential there!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k5jcGwjVKw
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
Harlequin
View Profile
Special user
Melbourne, Australia
688 Posts

Profile of Harlequin
Quote:
On 2009-02-01 00:59, Chris SD wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-01 00:56, NoVaCain wrote:
First impression of the first video was WOW young lady with nice hands, and a beautiful trick with nice music. Then I watch the second video with a wild crazy guy in a purple tophat screaming in french surrounded by hot french girls..I have to say I appreciated the first video a bit more. At least I was able to keep my attention on the cards easier.

Gee whiz, you don't think... Maybe the language barrier... No, the fact that you most likely don't Spanish couldn't possibly have anything to do with it.

Still, I am the first to admit that Tamariz is not for everyone; I personally don't care that much for him, even when he performs in English.

He was actually speaking French.

The first video showed elegant card manipulation, but for me was just boring to watch. I appreciated the performers ability, but was not really entertained.
Tamariz performed good magic and was entertaining as well. In my opinion of course.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Is Sonata out of print?
I cannot seem to find it anywhere.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
817 Posts

Profile of magico
Quote:
On 2009-02-02 09:21, professorwhut wrote:
Is Sonata out of print?

Yes, it is out of print.
magico563
View Profile
Veteran user
UK, sheffield.
381 Posts

Profile of magico563
Quote:
On 2009-02-01 21:54, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
I just checked out her YouTube page. If you ever run into her at a convention, make sure you all mention how much she sucked.

She didn't 'suck' at all. I wouldn't be able to do any of the stuff she was pulling off in that video or any of her others. She is talented so why cant you accept it?

Yes you might not have enjoyed it but you know full well she is good at what she dose.

Tom.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Quote:
On 2009-02-02 10:49, magico wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-02 09:21, professorwhut wrote:
Is Sonata out of print?

Yes, it is out of print.

Bummer, I may try and find a used copy.
Thanks.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Sonata pops up on eBay and the Café from time to time. I picked it up on eBay a couple of years ago for $60 (which is quite a bit lower than what it normally sells for).

On the other hand, if you're willing to wait, Stephen Minch is reprinting Tamariz's books. There's no hard timeline set, but Sonata and Magic Way will be coming out eventually.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-02-02 11:01, magico563 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-01 21:54, Josh the Superfluous wrote:

She didn't 'suck' at all. I wouldn't be able to do any of the stuff she was pulling off in that video or any of her others. She is talented so why cant you accept it?

Yes you might not have enjoyed it but you know full well she is good at what she dose.

Tom.

Um Tom, I said I liked it, repeatedly. I was making a joke about the guys who were complaining, after I went to her page and saw that she was cute as well. They bashed her behind her back after seeing just her hands, I doubt they would be as critical to her face.
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I finally read this thread and it turns out y'all are talking about my friend Kate from Montreal LOL!
Yeah she can do some pretty amazing stuff with a deck of cards.
When McBride came to Ottawa a while back she was doing card manipulations for him.

All I have to say is you should have seen his face. Smile
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Ask her to join the Café.
MarceloElGrande
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of MarceloElGrande
Thanks Eddini!!!
I LOVE BabyCatXD

Marcelo
BabyCatXD new fan
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." (Steve Martin)
"We are all amateurs, life is too short for us to be anything else" (Charlie Chaplin)
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
I could care less about the performer being male or female – who cares?

I disliked it immensely, but I suppose it is all about what one is trying to convey in one’s performance.

In the Tamariz original Juan created an effect that is unambiguously inexplicable. The largest percentage of the handling (shuffling) of the cards is actually performed by the audience. Ask yourself why that is? Answer: To increase the impossibility of the effect by removing himself from the equation. Simon Aronson made a noteworthy observation when he stated, “There’s a world of difference between not knowing HOW something was done, and knowing that something simply CAN’T be done.” Juan’s effect is constructed perfectly in everyway to create a moment of magic while avoiding the appearance of mastery. He removes the possibility of him being the ‘method’ by apparently doing very little besides just being present. Tamariz is a genius at removing all possible paths of reconstruction in his work.

Creating the appearance of “magic” and creating the appearance of “mastery” are two completely different things, but the two are all too often confused by the practitioners. If a body wants to display mastery and overtly claim one’s self as the method for what just took place that is fine, I’m not knocking anyone’s creative freedom, but to take this sort of approach to Juan’s masterpiece, to me, is, well…not understanding why he constructed the effect the way he did in the first place.

You are basically taking a perfect impossibility and (i) detracting from the clarity of it and (ii) screaming that you can do just about anything with a pack of cards that you’d like. The spectator has no choice but to view you as the method, you are forcing them to.
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
I thought it was beautiful. Most people would pay good money to watch her do that. A magical card ballet. Wonderful. I bet anything she could do the magic just as well straight, without the flourishing. She is still very young. I wish her well.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
RamonT
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of RamonT
Quote:
On 2009-02-03 10:29, Clark wrote:
I could care less about the performer being male or female – who cares?

I disliked it immensely, but I suppose it is all about what one is trying to convey in one’s performance.

In the Tamariz original Juan created an effect that is unambiguously inexplicable. The largest percentage of the handling (shuffling) of the cards is actually performed by the audience. Ask yourself why that is? Answer: To increase the impossibility of the effect by removing himself from the equation. Simon Aronson made a noteworthy observation when he stated, “There’s a world of difference between not knowing HOW something was done, and knowing that something simply CAN’T be done.” Juan’s effect is constructed perfectly in everyway to create a moment of magic while avoiding the appearance of mastery. He removes the possibility of him being the ‘method’ by apparently doing very little besides just being present. Tamariz is a genius at removing all possible paths of reconstruction in his work.

Creating the appearance of “magic” and creating the appearance of “mastery” are two completely different things, but the two are all too often confused by the practitioners. If a body wants to display mastery and overtly claim one’s self as the method for what just took place that is fine, I’m not knocking anyone’s creative freedom, but to take this sort of approach to Juan’s masterpiece, to me, is, well…not understanding why he constructed the effect the way he did in the first place.

You are basically taking a perfect impossibility and (i) detracting from the clarity of it and (ii) screaming that you can do just about anything with a pack of cards that you’d like. The spectator has no choice but to view you as the method, you are forcing them to.

Excellent post.I agree with it entirely.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
684 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
That's cool man....
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Thanks, yes she's awesome, Ed, (Eddini), C.H.
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » One of the Best Card Tricks I've seen in a Long, Long, Long Time. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL