The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » UFC 94 Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Doing this from work so I am trying to be quick, heh.

Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre vs. BJ Penn

I am finding this hard to call. I like both fighters. But I am leaning towards GSP. My only concern is GSP against Penn's striking. Now Penn doesn't really have KO power for GSP to be worried about. But he is very accurate, especially that jab of his. He busted up GSP's face pretty good last time. And if Penn has that look in his eyes like he had when he fought Hughes the second time, it'll worry me. Reason why I am worried is because I think GSP could be a little gun shy as far as striking goes, with what happened against Serra. He didn't waste any time taking that fight to the ground. Now I don't' think GSP will beb able to get any takedowns early on against Penn. He has great TDD. He can hop on one leg all night long. But I do believe GSP will en up getting Penn down, and keeping him there, late 2nd and or third rounds. I don't think GSP will be able to sub Penn, so I'll say GnP TKO win for GSP in the third round...

Light Heavyweight bout: Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva

Knowing how Lyoto fights, this is going to go to the third round... I think Thiago will be pretty aggressive, and Lyoto will avoid him a lot. This is a case of what I wan to happen vs. what probably will happen. I want Silva to beat Lyoto, I don't like him. But Thiago hasn't fought anyone of worth IMO. And he'll probably end up getting beat by Lyoto... This may be a rare occassion.... Lyoto may actually finish his opponent. I hope Silva catches him, but Lyoto probably will avoid him a lot and catch him for either a unanimous decision or a TKO.

Light Heavyweight bout: Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones

This seems like a tune up fight for Stephan. I don't think Jones will be able to catch Stephan and T/Ko him. Bonnar will probably grind out a unanimous decision.

Welterweight bout: Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim

I think Karo will take this. He seems kind of hit or miss lately though. I'd like think his loss to Alves was stopped too soon, but I don't know. But I may not be giving Kim the credit he deserves. I've read a lot of good things about him online. Then again I read a lot of good things about Sokoudjou too, who just turned out to be hype. Same could be same for Kim. I haven't seem too many of Kim's fights though, so I don't know his strengths or weaknesses. I am thinking split decision win for Karo...

Lightweight bout: Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

I hate Diaz. I like Guida. Therefore Guida will win. *sigh*... I guess I can't ignore Diaz's jitz skills... Again, same case as thiago vs. lyoto. I can see Diaz catching Guida in a submission. I find it harder to see Guide grinding out a decision win over Daiz... I guess I'll say Diaz via submission... late second early 3rd round....

I'll do the prelims when I get home I suppose...
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Eh, only one I care about in prelims is Fitch vs Gono. Tough call... I'll have to go with the fact most japanese fighters have bad luck in the octagon. So I think Fitch will win.

See you space cowboy...
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
*********SPOILERS*********SPOILERS*********SPOILERS*********SPOILERS*********SPOILERS*********

*********SPOILERS*********SPOILERS*********SPOILERS*********SPOILERS*********SPOILERS*********

Well guess I have GSP too much credit, abotu 5 minutes worth. I was surprised by this fight in a couple of ways. GSP look SO nervous before the fight. And BJ looks cool and calm. The first round seemed damgerous for both of them. GSP seemed to be having a little trouble taking Penn down. And Penn was feeding him some nice shots while GSP had one of his legs. Second round seemed like the same until GSP loosened up a bit, started throwing more and more strikes and when he got that tae down. That was the turning point. GSPs confidence skyrocketed and Penn seemed to take a turn for the worse. Seemed like he didn't know what to do against him. I was a little shocked at BJ's condition. He didn't seem as defined as he was against Sherk and Stevenson. And his head movement and his strikes just weren't there.

I am sort of impressed with Lyoto. And I my opinion of Silva stays the same. They kept hyping how they were both 13-0!!!! Yeah... well Thiago's thirteens wins weren't against anyone mentionable... And Thiago did the dumbest thing someone can do against a counter striker. He got knocked down twice, the same way, and continued with this aggressive attack. My opinion of both of these fighters hasn't changed.

Jones impressed me a little. But Bonnar just made me feel embarassed. Nothing he threw was even close to Jones until late in the third. And up until them Jones was just manhandling him. From that fight, looks like Bonnar peaked years ago. That was a pretty harsh elbow he took to the back of the head too. He's tough if anything else...

That pretty much went the way I thought it would. A bit worse if anything else. It was pretty uneventful.

Wow, that was pretty back and forth. It was entertaining... But Neighter of them seemed to get a distinct advantage over the other. Sure Guida controled him, but he didn't nothing with it. He pretty much won via lay and pray.

See you space cowboy...
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1524 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
You had pretty much the same predictions as I had. But I knew for a fact (in my mind at least) that st. pierre was gonna crush penn. After that first round...forget about it lol.

For the most part, this pay per view was pretty weak. I hate decisions. This past Affliction pay per view was way better than the UFC ppv. Starting to like Affliction more now that I think about it.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Nice analysis Joey. I pretty much agree with everything. GSP is just a machine right now. It seems like every time he gets into the octagon he is a better version of himself. When the horn went to end the 4th I looked at BJ laying there and said to myself "no way he comes out for the next round". I'm glad he didn't, he wasn't doing anything by that point. He was done.

I don't mind Lyotos style and I think he's a good fighter. Great finish to that fight. The trip/push that put Silva down was very slick and he did a great job moving in and delivering that big shot.

I think you are right about Bonnar. He may be past it just a little bit. The most impressive thing about Jones was his lightening fast takedowns. He was ragdolling Bonnar.

Guida just outlasted and outworked Diaz. Not the most exciting fight but a nice "W" for Guida.

Second event in a row where no one collected the submission of the night bonus.

I don't hate decisions if it's a good fight. I'd rather see 3 or 5 rounds of a well fought fight than a 30 second KO.

Were they greasing GSP's back between rounds? Is there going to be a protest or some kind of controversy? Would BJ even fight him again if he got the chance?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » UFC 94 Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL