The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » The best Sun & Moon routine. (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
Johnathan Townsend has a lot more than
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
Quote:
On 2009-05-05 03:26, Lawrence O wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-04 19:34, MagicByUriel wrote:
I just got Apocalypse Vol.6-10 and was wondering if their are any routines in there that require a sun and moon coin?

several routines using one or more C/S coins but no Sun and Moon coin.

Wait, hold on. I thought a C/S coin is a sun and moon coin?
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
No the S&M coin(s) is much more complex than a C/S. Don't feel bad however, very few people know about the gaff. The good point however is that a smaller number of routine has been developed and therefore it is easier to be creative on this less explored ground.

The routines which exist however clearly show the great potential of this gimmick.

Goshman, Albert. Modern Coin Magic by J. B. Bobo: The Sun And Moon.
Kaps, Fred (edited by Pete Biro): Fred Kaps Lecture Book 1972 Magic Inc. P 6 Sun and Moon in Spectator's Hand: half and penny exchange in specs hand (uses Half, C/S, English Penny Shell)

Klause, Roger. Richard’s Almanach. p. 150: Soleil et Lune. & COINvention Inaugural Collection DVD. A very clean fantastic routine with a perfect dramatic presentation by its author. The concept of the shell starting over the C/S which is then transferred over the copper coin supplying two C/S coins, and the way it is used, is brilliant and opens unexplored possibilities.

Latta, Geoff: NY coin DVD Copper Silver Vol 4. Sun and Moon. In the bonus section, Geoff presents some good variants around the concept of eclipse. His patter would profit from knowledge of the conundrum of the sphinx to Oedipus.

Neighbors, David: Coinjurer DVD Winged copper-silver and Triple Change Wild Coin & Japan notes p. 18:Triple change wild & Heavy work made easy notes p. 25 Still tap dancing & Here comes the sun …and the moon and Advanced Routines for the Ultimate Wild Coin Gimmick

Price, Barry: Escamotage 1 booklet: Sun, Moon & Beyond.

Thompson, Rob : Samoya DVD Apl 2009

Wild, Mike. Tavern Magic 2. 4 illusions with the Sun and Moon. Total Eclipse, Quantum Mechanics, Premonition V, Equinox.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
187 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Gentlemen,

Any links to Rob Thompson's SAMOYA DVD? Can't seem to hit it via a google search.

Thanks!

Gene
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Here's a video of the effect:

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-US&playlist......msnvideo

For more info send an email to Rob Thompson: magicguy@pcwildblue.com
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Somoya is Soleil et Lune. It's a nice handling, very well performed, but that's exactly what it is. You'll need the modified sun/moon for the clean shows.
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
With the discussions above on "normal" sun and moon, I am asking if the Johnson hopping half set has a normal Sun/moon set? Also, is it the same s/m set as the separately sold Johnson s/m set?
Kelvin
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
No unfortunately the Johnson hopping half set doesn't include the elements of a Sun and Moon.
However thinking about how to use the Johnson hopping half set for another effect than just the basic effect getting to the pocket is interesting. Try looking at the new Shufton/Regal "Portal" and see what you can come up with.

Alternatively see if you could rework something with David Roth portable hole using your Johnson hopping half set.

Possibly also a purse can replace a pocket in an effect...

Keep thinking you are on the right track: this is more original than buying another gaff (even if S&M is really a nice gimmick as well)
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Actually it does contain a sun/moon. Remember - a "basic" sun/moon is a c/s coin with an additional sh*ll placed over it. So, an English Penny sh*ll covers the half dollar side of a c/s coin. Held proper, it looks like an English Penny from both sides.

Okay, take out the c/s coin, you're left with an English Penny sh*ll. Try to place a half dollar in the sh*ll. Since the sh*ll is unexpanded, the half dollar won't fit (it's not necessary to expand it for the c/s insert). Now if that sh*ll is expanded to take the half dollar, you'll have to modify the c/s coin also so it won't rattle around in the sh*ll. A "modified" sun/moon takes all this into account - you can fit the c/s into the English Penny sh*ll and a normal half dollar.

This modification opens up some nice clean shows when you're about to do some transpositions between the copper and silver coins.
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Quote:
On 2009-05-14 11:56, doug brewer wrote:
Somoya is Soleil et Lune. It's a nice handling, very well performed, but that's exactly what it is. You'll need the modified sun/moon for the clean shows.

Rob Thompson's "SAMOYA" and Roger Klause's "Soleil et Lune" is a little different routines, but you can use the same gaff/coins.
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Newb2
Todd's TWIAD set is perfect for the "Soleil et Lune" routine, if I am correct.
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
I have a Hopping Half set ( Walking Liberty / English Penny ) from Lassen, and this coins works perfect for both routines.
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-02-01 18:36, MortenN wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-01 17:40, mballen11502 wrote:
Is there a video of soleil et lune available anywhere...I keep hearing about this routine but I don't know where to see it!

I have never seen any demo video, but Roger Klause teach it on this DVD :

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/coinventio......b311b22e

If you are a "coin man", I mean this DVD is worth every $$.

-Morten-

There is also a full demo and explanation on the new DVD, Friends of Roger Klause, Volume 2 that came out this month.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I bought this Volume 2 and it is just filled with great material and is a fitting tribute to Roger Klause. It's obvious that Mr. Pierce is sincere in his tribute and careful in his explanations and crediting. The Soleil et Lune routine is superb and very deceptive. It also has a great story line. I have to say, Lance, you are one smooth performer - the color changing silks is great too!
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I agree. Vol. 2 is great, and Lance does a beautiful job performing the effects.

Robert
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I just watched the Rob Thompson's "SAMOYA" video and really like the routine. Im thinking it could be woven into other C/S effects, CSB, or Wild Coin. Im still not clear on what coins I specifically need to have. don't know if anyone cares to disclose, but maybe some references to coin manufacturers / sets that will work?
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Any Sun/Moon coin set will work with SAMOYA.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2021, Jerry wrote:

As long as the add'l silver coin fits in the S&M shell.

Jim
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2021, J-Mac wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2021, Jerry wrote:

As long as the add'l silver coin fits in the S&M shell.

Jim

^^^ THIS ^^^
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2021, Scott Horn wrote:
I just watched the Rob Thompson's "SAMOYA" video and really like the routine. Im thinking it could be woven into other C/S effects, CSB, or Wild Coin. Im still not clear on what coins I specifically need to have. don't know if anyone cares to disclose, but maybe some references to coin manufacturers / sets that will work?

Samoya is really a very nice routine.
I created a Samoya version "without a shell" for myself.

Here is my video:
https://youtu.be/jWEsNhNk4ps

Darko
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
From what I see Sun / Moon sets are pretty rare. I don't see any with Jamie Schoolcraft; Todd Lassen is making some but seems to have a long waiting list. Tango has some, but I've had hit and miss with their quality. Roy Kueppers seems to have some sets... anyone familiar with his coins ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » The best Sun & Moon routine. (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL