We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Vanishing Bandana (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I have this effect (the one where you mistake banana for bandana) but have never performed. I'm worried that the handkerchief will get really messy and gooey Smile . How do you guys handle this problem?

-Andini Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Wash it after each show. It's a Devil's Handkerchief; make or buy a couple if you do multiple shows. Get rid of the banana after the show by putting it in a plastic bag for later disposal.

The messy and gooey stuff is what makes this trick funny. So have available some baby wipes and paper towels so you can wipe your hands afterwards. Watch for dropping particles, the client won't appreciate this on their expensive carpet, so do it over the magic table. The facial movements and body contortions add to the effect so "ham it up".

It is one effect that is self working but it packs that humor which can make your show a success. Study the components of this effect and why it works so well. It is a formula for other successful effects.
Dennis Michael
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
This is one of my favorites. Hand wipes are a must!
Daniel Faith
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
You could follow it with the dirty hand towel.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Andini,

Aldo Columbini who uses this gag quite a bit once suggested lining the pocket of the Devil's Handkerchief with a plastic baggie.

It's a hilarious routine, you'll have fun working on it Andini.

Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
If you just do a few shows a year fine, but if you do hundreds then find another trick. There are thousands out there that would be equally if not more amusing to the children that do not require such a clean up and such mess.

Just my opinion though.
Phillip
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

I tried the plastic bag bit and the kids heard the noise of the bag "crinkling" and that took away from the full comedy potential.

I do like the dirty hand towel bit, I'll add that to the routine. I've been wanting to use it more than just on a kid. This will work out perfect!

Thanks Dude.
Dennis Michael
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Dirty Hand Towel is a good idea.
Daniel Faith
Ed the Magic Guy
View Profile
New user
Whittier, Ca
32 Posts

Profile of Ed the Magic Guy
I love this trick also. I haven't tried this, but I wonder if spraying the inside pocket with ScotchGuard would help.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Scotch Guard is a stain prevention spray. You still must wash the cloth every time you use it. And the Scotch Guard will be washed out.
Dennis Michael
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I did this for kids with a mixed reponse. Maybe Aussie kids are a bit slow but they didn't seem to get the gag. (Though they love the grossness.)

HOWEVER, I perform this routine in every single adult stand up show I do. It is surprisingly strong magic and I have had people come up six months later and comment on that one trick!

Very messy but worth it.

By the way, if you think that the banana is messy, leave it in your magic box when you go on holidays and find out what messy really is! Smile
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
The trick is great, I have been doing it in all my shows since I got it.

I turn the pocket inside out and rinse it well as soon as I get a chance and it washes out just fine. Don't worry about the mess, the getting there is well worth it! Smile

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
530 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I would agree with most of the previous posts. The mess is well worth it. I am now performing it in all my shows. I take a few minutes after each show to clean it but it really doesn't take long to clean. When I do multiple shows in a day I will go two maybe three performances without washing the pocket but I normally wash it and use the dryers in bathrooms to dry it. I think I may make several more devil hanks so that I can use the hank in multiple shows and clean up at the end of the day.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
The trick is messy but well worth it.

I do something a little different at the end. I put a yellow silk in the devil's hank. When I open the bag to show the bannana is gone they see a yellow silk fly out. This takes a lot of heat off the devil's hank.

Best,
Ken Scott
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Hey!! Nice addition and idea, I may give that a try next time!
Woohooo!

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
In many ways the trick would be better if you failed and a banana went all over the audience.

Smile
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
This trick comes from an old vaudville routine with two clowns. When using our pockets for this two clown routine we always lined our pockets! For the new cassette tape version I select the smallest not quite ripe banana, they are not as messy and the hank moves better with the vanish. Sometimes instead of washing the whole hank I just pull the pocket out and wash it. This routine always gets a lot of laughs!
mslj
View Profile
New user
Bradford, England
95 Posts

Profile of mslj
I really enjoyed this routine but wanted to add a little bit more comedy to it. So I now perform this as a 'Do as I Do' routine. Of course it's about assessing up to the point of the routine if there is anybody in the audience— usually adult and male— who would play along with the mess.

The speactacle of my partner folding up the banana really gets a good reaction and my vanish at the end is enhanced when his mess goes thudding to the floor when he opens up his normal hanky.

I don't do this in venues with carpets, only those floors that I can clean afterwards!!
lhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
135 Posts

Profile of lhughes
Wow, some great ideas for the bandana! Thanks folks, I will be using some.
Sleightly yours,
Lorne
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Has anyone in England had a problem with children not knowing what a bandana is ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Vanishing Bandana (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL