The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Vanishing Bandana (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Dr. Bombay
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Dr. Bombay
Dr. Bombay is the bumbling warlock on the Bewitched TV show. Everyone loved him. Kids today don't know him, but I use it because it makes parents laugh and get a warm fuzzy at the memory of the show.

Doc
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Mystic Shriner,

Feel free to use the idea, as was stated it is not original, but it does work great here. Have fun with it.
oliver
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I still think the effect plays better for adults!
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
115 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
If you explain before hand, as spatrick suggests, it ruins the comedy of YOU not knowing the difference. If the kids don't know what a bandanna is, don't sweat it, they will enjoy the ridiculousness of the tape suggesting you fold a banana in half and so on. Also, if you perform this effect and have not seen David Copperfield perform his version do so immediately. He performed it to the voice of Mr. Rogers piped in via satellite. As with most of what David performs it was a masterpiece. It can be seen on his Magic in China special. You guessed it, the very same one he walked through the Great Wall. The special originally aired on CBS in I believe 1985.
This is a must see.
Ronald R. Romiski Smile
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2734 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello All:

There are some very nice ideas on this thread. I want to add that I didn't think a whole lot of this routine until I was in Vegas recently. I caught Tony Blanco's act at the Excalibur - it was mostly families in the audience. Anyway, he did this trick and it just KILLED!

Just curious though, is there a huge bulge in the Devil's Hank at the end? I like Ken's idea of having a yellow hank fall out of the DH to take the heat off it.

Ron Reid
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
One idea that helped me was to just make up or have someone make up a few extra Devils hanks in a rather thick material and use those. They don't cost that much to make if you have a sewing machine. If they start looking ratty, just toss them! Cheers! -- Jimo
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
The bulge is big but can be hidden if you handle the hank right.

I sometimes throw a handful of yellow confetti in the hank and the beginning.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I never really sweat the bulge. I hold the hank so there is a little sag in the top so the material bunches anyway.
oliver
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
Quote:
On 2003-05-16 08:05, eddieloughran wrote:
Has anyone in England had a problem with children not knowing what a bandana is?

I was just performing in England for a month and used this trick in every show. Everyone seemed to know exactly what the bandana was.
They'll love it!
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
FYI, this trick was originated by Tom Ogden.
RoyHolidayMagic
View Profile
New user
New York
85 Posts

Profile of RoyHolidayMagic
Yeah, I find it interesting that so many people on this board constantly make posts about stealing ideas, etc.

David Copperfield used the Vanishing Bandana idea on his special WITHOUT permission from Tom Ogden (the originator.) The company that now produces the product (the one that you all purchased and use in your shows) did NOT receive permission from Tom Ogden, and he does not get any royalty fees either. This made Tom Ogden very mad. Just thought it would be an interesting bit of information. Oh well.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3729 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I took the (not good quality at all) cassette that comes with the effect, dubbed it to a CD, using some digital tweaking to improve it the best I can, and dubbed that to my ShowTech system. That way, I just show the cassette, and pretend to put it into the sound system and play it. Don't have to worry about batteries for a jam box or CD player.

Steve Thomas
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
I always look for the smallest banana's still kind of green. I find if they are not fully ripe they are not as messy.
Tom Ogden turned a two-person comedy magic skit into a one-person magic routine. But I can assure you that Bandana Banana skit appears in many old clown skit books. You use a cassette instead of a 2nd person and a D hank instead of your pants pocket. We always lined our pants pockets with a baggie. The two-person routine is even funnier! But then you have to split the take.
I love the routine and if Tom wrote the cassette version I am very sorry he has been robbed! It happens all to often.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I go for a small, VERY, VERY, ripe banana! The more messy the better, IMHO.

I did the routine the other night where a fellow magician, a great card sharp named Andrew Wimhurst (buy his video - its good) who commented that he had seen it before at it wasn't very funny but my personality made it work.

It’s an excellent effect to make your own.
RoyHolidayMagic
View Profile
New user
New York
85 Posts

Profile of RoyHolidayMagic
Yeah Tom Ogden had the idea of using a record with the Smile trick on it. He did the "cut and restored bandana" but the premise of the trick on tape with the bandana/banana was his. Now just for fun:

Tom Ogden, the Smile , did the Smile trick for his Smile and Smile shows. Of course, he never drank too much Smile before he did those shows. This is a trick that he always seemed to have Smile with until it was stolen. Then, Copperfield received the Smile for it. I guess no one's an Smile , especially not Copperfield. Well...I gotta go; I'm getting hungry and Smile . I'll go hav a Smile and maybe some Smile for dessert. Then, I'll Smile and Smile .
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have this little guy who always dresses the same way and comes to ALL my public gigs and comes up at the end and tells me that I stole David Copperfield's joke.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Nicholas:
Hey, it happens. Just have to be satisfied with doing the best that you can do and try to answer the people’s questions the best you can.

This is a great trick for anyone to make into their own presentation and character.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Hi, do you guys think that this effect would be as good if I used a sheet of paper with instructions and read them out loud instead of a tape player, because I don't use music and don't need to carry around a tape player, … just adds weight. Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of Christopher
JSMagic,

I had to do that today after a problem with my sound system. It worked great, I could add my own emphasis and pauses and such. I use a volunteer when doing the routine, and we learn together.

After seeing how well it worked without the tape, I was considering typing out the instructions and having someone from the audience read for us. Possibly, passing the paper from one person to the next at small parties so everyone gets to read a line. I think the reactions would be great.

Nicholas, I agree with the mess statement. This trick is made to be messy. I hear of people trying to keep the mess to a minimum. Buy some soap, some water and you will be fine. I do three-four shows a day with the same cloth with no problem. In fact, if the person is not being messy enough, I help out when it comes to the palming "grip".
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I would have a child come up to assist you with this. Give them a magic hat and make them an apprentice... that you will do this wonderful magic trick with their help.

Having them read it would be very funny and get a bigger laugh when things begin to not go well.

In fact, what could be even nicer is that you make the magic happen with the kid. You bunch up the full cloth and have the child hold onto one corner and you the other. You have them help you open it. Now the magic has happened in their hand.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Vanishing Bandana (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.83 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL