The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Vanishing Bandana (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of ventman
I am a second grade teacher...an expert on kids and what they like....they get it if you know kids and how to "make them get it". I have to say that I've performed all kinds of routines for entire school assemblies and the vanishing bandana has far surpassed the most expensive props. I've done the ultimate dancing hank, Fearson's floatation, flaming head chest, sub trunk, floating rose, etc etc....the biggest reaction from both kids and adults and the most memorable effect has been by far (to my surprise) the vanishing bandana.
Coldthorn
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Ventman:

May I ask if you prime the audience first by getting them to know and understand what a bandana is? I often wonder if the kids really get the idea of the bandana vs. banana language or if they just react from my comical antics? Any thoughts on this based upon your own work?

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
I was wondering if any other Australians, or NZs, or English people have used this with a child/adult audience? I am about to order a large order of tricks/props/ and accessories, and was thinking of adding it, but I wouldnt know how well it would work. I have heard the hank is a little heavy and stiff, is this true? will it be easy enough to make another one with a simple sewing machine?
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
This thread got me to start playing around with this trick again. I was somewhat concerned about the bulge, although no one has ever mentioned it when I've performed it. But I found that if I release 3 corners of the hank and hold it by the corner with the pocket, it's impossible to see a bulge. I'm going to try it at a birthday show tomorrow to see how it plays.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Does anyone out there do it in conjunction with the Instant Magician?...any thoughts?
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Smartini
That is a great idea
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I second that!

However, A lot of the humour comes from the performance of the magician. Not the giggling spectator who is wearing the outfit.
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I performed YB with the instant magician for years. I came to find out that it was funnier without the jacket because sometimes there would be a bit of awkwardness if the assistant wasn't completely cooperative. In addition, because I do several shows a day I didn't like cleaning the banana off the jacket. I always keep an extra instant magician set with me, but the cleanup wasn't worth it.

Just a note. I have been making special devils hanks for the yellow bandana routine for club members. These include a special vinyl pocket that rinses clean. Anyone that is interested can contact me.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Good point about the facial expressions of the magician creating the humour and magic of this routine...still, the audience can see your face as well as the child/spectators and the look of both faces as the banana/bandana is folded etc. might provide some possibilities for interactions...i think that the idea is good because the instant magician doesn't just know how to do a trick they must learn one...perhaps you start out with a card trick ala electric deck and then when you reveal this as a comedic gag you let the audience know that you learn magic tricks primarily from reading instructions/books (a nice reading message)...reading for purpose its called in the literacy field...the child then learns the trick along with the cd/tape and of course the banana...bandana thing goes awry...well almost, that is, except for the happy ending

Quote:
On 2004-07-10 23:14, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I second that!

However, A lot of the humour comes from the performance of the magician. Not the giggling spectator who is wearing the outfit.
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
This has been one of my favorite trick. One good suggestion is to add background music to the tape that comes with it, then convert it to cd. Add up to the effect. I also adjusted the gap to suit my routine.

Hope this one helps.
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
I just added this to my show last month. I did it 10 times in front of big crowds and, as someone else said, it played bigger than some of my big dollar routines. Not bad for $30! I get really messy doing it, that's half of what makes it funny!

I would be interested in what everyone thinks of doing it in front of an adult ONLY crowd, no kids. I have not done this, but I am tempted. Has anyone else done it for adults only? Nick?

Thanks guys,

Keith
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
I went to a magician's house today and looked at this. I will be ordering this soon. I listened to the tape and it was the funniest thing ever. I think it would go good for adults.
-Tyler
PROFED
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago,Illinois
229 Posts

Profile of PROFED
This one is for everyone. The adults really belive that you are going to show one of the ways you learn magic, then they are blown away by the nonesense. This is a great routine.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

I like this idea as I find the handling of the dirty hand towel a little forced/awkward...but maybe its just me

Quote:
On 2003-05-07 01:23, flourish dude wrote:
You could follow it with the dirty hand towel.

Ken,

thanks for sharing this sensible idea...like others have said I will use it.
PROFED
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago,Illinois
229 Posts

Profile of PROFED
One of my favorite tricks. I do few adult only shows, but this plays very well for adults. If you line the pocket with the type of plastic bag the super markets have in the produce section, it will allow you to use the cloth for multiple performances, and it will not talk.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

A question regarding the yellow silk. I'm assuming that you keep it in the devils hank pouch but how do keep it clean once you put the banana in? Is there an order of things that I'm missing? Do you palm it out and switch it to the outside or?
thanks!
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Actally I bring out the hank folded up like. In it is the yellow silk. So it is inside the folded up hank. When I grab the two corners to open the silk merely flys out. So no it is not is the secret comp. My theory is why run if you are not being chased? No one is expecting it there so there is no need to show it empty.

It much like when magicians show a change bag empty, they always say look it is empty, but what they are really saying is I am lying there really is something there I am just not showing you.

As far as putting the bag insideto protect from dirty bannana everywhere, I don't do that I guess it could work. I just simply bought 6 hanks and they get dirty I wash them when I get home.

Ken
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

I agree with your "...don't run if you are not being chased." So when you show the banana gone the hank simply flys out towards the audience?
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
That is right the silk flys out.

ken
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Ken,

I'd like to thank you for all of the sharing that you do. Your ideas, thoughts are really appreciated by someone who is trying to improve their act to the next level. I wish you all the best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Vanishing Bandana (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL