The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The day the music died... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I can't believe no one posted about this yet!

Today is the 50th anniversary of the plane crash that killed Richie Valens, The Big Bopper, and Buddy Holly. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be a rock fan and have these 3 brilliant young stars.

Bye Bye Miss American Pie
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Thanks for the reminder. I'll light a candle and put on some Buddy Holly music.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
50 years? Wow.

I don't think he's around anymore but there is a magician, can't recall the name, who use to be on line whos uncle owned the land the wreck was on. He was on the property at the time but his uncle wouldn't him go to the site because of the deaths and he was around eight years old at the time.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On 2009-02-03 14:20, pepka wrote:
I can't believe no one posted about this yet!

Today is the 50th anniversary of the plane crash that killed Richie Valens, The Big Bopper, and Buddy Holly. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be a rock fan and have these 3 brilliant young stars.

Bye Bye Miss American Pie

Well, 2 brilliant young stars and DJ with a novelty song, anyway. Smile
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
That's a bit of a cheap shot.

Richardson may not have been the star or the musician that the other guys were, but he was a pretty good songwriter. He wrote "White Lightin'" which was a #1 song for George Jones and I think he wrote another #1 song for someone.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Good going Vandy, so many time the song writers are the unsung heroes, it's nice to see credit where credit is due.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Did you see that the big boppers son didn't know about his father? The wife was so upset about the death she never told him, the son, who dad was and when he found out be became a big bopper impersonator.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
'White Lightning' wasn't a hit until two months after the plane crash. We'll never know how much of that was due to the 'ghoul effect'. Really don't see where it is a cheap shot; two young talents and DJ with a novelty hit died. Fact.

Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Thanks for the reminder, pepka. Still sad, after all these years...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There was a tribute on the radio as I drove home today.
WCBS FM, 101.1, New York
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
There was an interview I saw several years ago with Waylon Jennings. For those that don't know, he was Buddy's bass player and gave his seat on the plane to Richie. In La Bamba, they made it out to be a coin toss right beside the plane before it took off, I don't think it was quite accurate though. Anyway, Waylon said that had the accident not happened all 3 were really destined for greatness. Richardson would probably be president of a major broadcasting company, Buddy would surely own his own major label. I can't remember what he said Richie would probably be doing.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Maybe so. I understand he was going to buy his own radio station when he got off the road. There was also something about him being shot after the crash and his son even had his body dug up; but I don't remember how that all turned out.

Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
And here's the song with pictures to go along with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bAZoZ6nkS8
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
727 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I think it was Running Bear that the Big Bopper also wrote. My son, who's autistic, is a huge fan of the Big Bopper. According to his Son, he was the first person to actually make a music video. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that. My son's been hounding me like crazy to buy the original coffin The Big Bopper was buried in. It may go up for sale on E-Bay. There's no way I would buy something like that.
Bob.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You lil' hoodlums out there that are not familiar with Buddy Holly you really owe it to yourself to get some of his music. He really was the guy who opened the door for lesser talents like Elvis. Holly produced some amazing music and I think he was only 21 when he died.
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/crash.htm

All you want to or need to know about this day.

I thought it funny, not haha but strange, they would recycle the planes ID number, it is still in use today.

NUMS
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2727 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
This was the video I liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRwGxswYcJk

I think the images run better with the song.

Of course, less we get in way too deep on this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FPTmKANMW8&feature=related
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
The Big Bopper remains the oddity of the event. I enjoy his very few recordings, but the interesting thing to me seems to be that of all of them he was the least publicized, and not regarded, so he has this Twilight Zone quality to his legacy. I had never seen a photo of him until recent years, and he remains the only one without a biopic. He emerged when he was pushing 30, an old man in a young mans game. Nothing in the way of 'pretty boy' looks so vital to a rocker. The American Bandstand clip on youtube makes me think of Jackie Gleason as a rock star. So strange. Here's hoping his sons efforts to distribute his father's song movies can cause him to be re-evaluated as a possible pioneer of music videos.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
This piece of music history has always been a fascination for me. Ever since I saw La Bamba when I was a kid and discovered Holly's music. I never knew that Richardson Jr. had his father's body exhumed. I also never knew about Holly's gun.

Dr. Delusion is right, Runnin' Bear was written by The Big Bopper. I used to be a DJ and worked at an oldies station on weekends when I was in college and remember using that as a trivia question to give a way a T shirt or something. So his biggest hit was a campy novelty song. It's catchy. I often hear it when I perform at a car show or 50's themed party. I've even heard it play at a prom in recent years.

Santa is dead on about Holly. WAAAAAY ahead of his time and it's such a tragedy when you think about all the music he never produced. A little known fact that he was the first person to ever appear on TV playing a Stratocaster guitar. What a huge influence that had on young musicians watching Ed Sullivan in 1958.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The day the music died... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL